SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#601 2013-01-26 09:17:06

M.I.H.H
#! Member

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

#! so comfortable for me.

i will continue to seek knowledge.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#602 2013-01-28 21:09:45

lowrider
#! Die Hard

#! is like the perfect woman, a natural beauty and all the things that really matters are hidden.

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#603 2013-01-29 18:19:55

Wahlgren

I went back to using #! after getting tired of all the modern desktop environments and bloat that comes along with it. Also I got an older Compaq NC6400 laptop that I upgraded with a SSD and more RAM. With #! as the OS everything is perfect, a great satisfaction of using this distro and everything works perfect out of the box.

The post installation script is brilliant and the way I could install Google Chrome and DropBox directly from openbox menu was really convenient. I've been a bit of a distrohopper until now, but in the end I return to #! that never fail on me before.

Great work with this distro!

#! 11 | Intel i5-2450M 2.50GHz | 8GB RAM | SAMSUNG SSD 830 128GB | Nvidia GeForce 610M

#604 2013-02-02 21:23:20

runpc2deth
#! Member

tried of using system with so much bloat and crap!

i want fast and simple  big_smile

#605 2013-02-03 09:06:10

karmakosmikk

When I first saw first screenshot of #!, I was sold.

I have always liked some sort of conky, and in #! it is in there by default.  Also what draw my interest, was the good defaut colour palette. The grey-white-black-etc combination is for my taste.

Desktop layout is clean, and most of all, I like that the menu is hidden and clear-looking. In overall, #! looks unique and professional. In many distributions the desktop, expecially the icons look like dried horse shit what makes the OS look like disney.

Mobile broadband worked like out-of-the box, what is important feature for me. I also like that this distro is light: I have no problems with my netbook which is using 1 gigs of ram.

Now in my girlfriends computer is running on #! from live usb. Everything works and fast. She actually made some art with drawing tablet. There was little bit of issues, gimp did not recognize pressure of the pen, but somehow magically it also started to respond, after little time.  smile

My actual PC is running ubuntu, but now I have found replacement to that also. #! is just working distro. I am using "testing image" in this netbook, and had zero crashes or instability. What I also like, is that #! is based on Debian, so we can expect #! to be stable, And it is.

One little "drawback" there is still. I am not very experienced with linux, and in #! things are done somewhat differently compared to Ubuntu. Well, I learn.

PS. Community seems to be ultra-friendly and eager to help. Thanks for that in advance!  smile

#606 2013-02-03 14:40:16

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Wahlgren wrote:

With #! as the OS everything is perfect, a great satisfaction of using this distro and everything works perfect out of the box.

The post installation script is brilliant and the way I could install Google Chrome and DropBox directly from openbox menu was really convenient. I've been a bit of a distrohopper until now, but in the end I return to #! that never fail on me before.

Ditto, I forgot the convenience of this while keeping it unobtrusive, layers down in the OB menu .

Last edited by Barnabyh (2013-02-03 14:40:39)

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#607 2013-02-04 17:02:08

Dozy Van

I came to Crunchbang because I was chatting with a friend of mine. We were talking about Linux, windows and mac. At the time I was running the lasted ubuntu and he asked me about a few operating system and I explained to him I had tested most other Linux distro's out there. Mint, zorin, arch, debain, backtrack etc... and even dipped into the BSD's. But I came back to Ubuntu as it was nice looking simple to use and the support for it is unbelievable. My favorite distribution next to Ubuntu was Archbang but I could never fully get into it.

He told me his all time favorite distribution was Crunchbang witch I had to confess I had not heard of before he mentioned it. I googled it liked the look of it. Downloaded it installed into a VM. A few minuets in I removed the VM wiped the laptop and installed Crunchbang as my only operating system on the laptop :3

I love it for its look, feel, speed, and ability to work with. Really looking forward to seeing how future upgrades can improve on it.

#608 2013-02-05 19:19:07

Crunchcat
Website

Hi!
I think I'm another of the ex-Ubuntu users who came to Crunchbang.
I started my Linux adventures a year and half ago. It was with Ubuntu 11.04... I always used Gnome Classic, I thought Unity was just an experiment! And then, when I happily installed Ubuntu 11.10, I saw there was no more Gnome Classic... Since then, I've been hopping a lot.
My favourite distributions have been Xubuntu —due to Xfce's possibility to look and act like Gnome 2— and Linux Mint —with both Cinnamon and MATE; but specially MATE.
I always wanted to try Debian, but due to the iwlwifi driver issues, I just stopped trying to do so after an attempt. I also tried Linux Mint Debian with MATE, but...
I tested Crunchbang 10 on a virtual machine, and I really liked it. But I was afraid because as it's Debian-based, perhaps it would give me issues with the propietary things, but... Today I installed it. And I'm really, really happy!
Openbox is smooth to use. 5% of 2,00GHz, 1 GiB of RAM — with XChat, 7 Google Chrome tabs (one with Youtube, so Flash) and a 64-bit system. That's lovely!
So my distro hopping adventures stop here.
Thanks, #! to exist. I'll donate soon.

Crunchcat!
#!cat

#609 2013-02-05 23:32:42

kristaps

Reasons:
1. Debian-based (apt, debian repos)
2. Openbox
3. Media stuff works out the box

I could've just started with a generic Debian, but the #! package is very nice. Stuff just works.

Also, I noticed that at the start of the thread (posts from like 2008) people keep saying how they like that #! is Ubuntu-based. What is that all about? It's a lot less bloated debian derivative than ubuntu, but it's not ubuntu based. Or did it use to be? I migrated to #! 2 months ago.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

/Brendan Gill/

#610 2013-02-05 23:40:38

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

It used to based off Ubuntu 9.04, but switched over to Debian a few years back. At the time, I thought it was a mistake, but time has proven me very wrong. Welcome to #!  big_smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#611 2013-02-05 23:42:35

kristaps

merelyjim wrote:

It used to based off Ubuntu 9.04, but switched over to Debian a few years back. At the time, I thought it was a mistake, but time has proven me very wrong. Welcome to #!  big_smile

Ah, cool, that makes sense. And I would definitely agree that it was a wise move.

Thanks.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

/Brendan Gill/

#612 2013-02-06 14:48:20

hochrappenkopf
#! CrunchBanger

I'm using #!Crunchbang Waldorf 64bit meanwhile on one PC and two Notebooks.

It's the greatest distribution ever installed and tested. I love it!  kiss

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" [Walt Disney]

#613 2013-02-10 19:39:50

System Nominal

Personally, I love the "weightlessness" of Crunchbang. A simple, efficient, speedy OS that can handle whatever I throw at it, it had me hooked. I had been a windows user for the longest time, but windows is just lacking a certain something that any linux distro contains, whether it's the freedom of customization, the packages, or the efficiency, I'm not sure, but it's more than just an os, it's an experience.

Another man living in the digital age.

#614 2013-02-22 15:13:23

km00
#! CrunchBanger

Because it's just awesome!

Do I need to say more?

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#615 2013-02-24 15:02:57

Jon_J

I have a Dell mini 1010 netbook, and am very happy with my first 2 days with CrunchBang, since it works with my GMA500 graphics out of the box at 1366x768 resolution. smile
Also the default Dell supplied wireless and ethernet adapters work with no fiddling.
I just downloaded and installed the most recent version "CrunchBang-Linux-11-Waldorf".
It's slim and trim, and runs very good on my mini 1010 with 1GB memory.

Jon

#616 2013-02-24 16:00:08

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ Funny how life works... I was toying with the idea of buying a Chromebook or Android tablet, but my three year old Acer netbook, also with one whopping gig of RAM, shows no sign off slowing down or under-performing. Awful problems to have, right?  smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#617 2013-03-01 14:53:09

cortman
#! CrunchBanger

I got started with #! simply through curiosity. I found it to be very elegantly designed, lightweight, and yet full featured. After testing I settled on it for my netbook, and have been using it ever since.
Recently my main computer (a mid-range laptop, 2009 model) was getting more and more clunky with its Debian Wheezy + Gnome shell system. While I actually like gnome shell, it was getting increasingly heavy for the old computer. I realized that I liked no other distro as well as #!, and so the main machine got it as well. Now I'm pretty much exclusively running crunchbang.
Why do I use it?

1. Complete and extremely elegant design. The whole interface layout of the distro, with Openbox and Tint2, is just beautiful, simple, and exceedingly functional. I especially like SLiM for the login manager- very simple, easy to edit, and good looking.
If I would design a distro, I would want it to be like #!. Since #! exists, the work is already done for me.
2. Debian based. I prefer a Debian based distro (or Debian itself) to the *buntu alternatives.
3. Full featured. Comes with a great selection of applications and doesn't skimp on including powerful programs.
4. Easy to add/play with other WMs and interface ideas.

That's pretty much it.

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my my referral link. smile

#618 2013-03-07 18:38:51

ojakai

After using many distros in my old laptops I think Crunchbang is the best choice for my needs.
Even with Waldorf there's no need to re-install everything after kernel updates.

I've been trying to use Arch and Manjaro with my laptops, but finally I'm getting tired of reinstallations.
With Crunchbang everything is working out of the box and only minor customization is needed.

No problems with video drivers like most distros have. Also speed is good enough.

Earlier I also used CB with xfce, but finally Openbox has everyhting you really need.

Now I'm with old Dell Inspiron 8200. At my cottage I've got a Pentium4 laptop with 512Mb of memory and it's running smoothly there with 3G Internet on my Iphone on Waldorf.

I think Debian is a very good choice as a basis for Crunchbang, for stability.

CB - the best choice to give old computers a new life!

smile  smile

#619 2013-03-09 20:04:11

seraphtrend
#! Member
Website

I use #! Because it helps me do my tasks without having the gui get in the way. simply turn on the machine and get to work. love the choice of software. I also enjoy the shortcuts. most of all #! Helped me learn a great deal about linux in general. now when i get a request to fix a computer with a virus or a broken system (lately alot of windoze 8 breakages) i tell my customers that i can give them a simple and powerful system that has high security wihout giving up windoze. Of course they say yes and i install #! They all love it. that brings me to my final point of why i use crunchbang, the community! It would not be what it is today wihout each and every one of you. thanks!!!.

#620 2013-03-12 18:40:37

mudlark

The quest for a light weight distro began when my late lamented motherboard expired, leaving me without internet or a word processor.
fortunately, I had previously bought a clapped out second hand desk top with a pentium 4 processor and 250mb of ram...............for a completely different reason (cheaper than an external IDE hard drive)Which would not run with my preferred OS Mint KDE
With trepidation and a sinking feeling , I set about the search for a distro that would run with the low grade hardware.

As I trawled through Distrowatch and countless web pages, my stack of DVDs diminished as I went (USB pens are problematic on this machine) becoming underwhelmed and unimpressed by what I was finding; the truth did not live up to the blurb.
The highlights of my search start with Bodhi and went onto Puppy (tried 2 flavours)  and vector, others like Swift did not get past the login screen, whilst lubuntu and Legacy didn't get that far! sad

I reached the end of my tether with Vector when I wanted to use my printer canon ip2700 and Swedish Keyboard (it would seem one can only find and down load these necessities with a special incantation known only to the Slackware faithful and thus I rapidly ran out of patience) mad
It was then that I was handed the last throw of the dice, a newly burnt DVD, the last in the box after that it was.........................well you don't want to know!

With a mixture of trepidation  and glee I expunged Vector from my hard drive and installed CrunchBang, a distro I have avoided like the plague.........................mainly because I tried it fleeting a while back.................... ops
However I am pleased to report the printer, prints like a thing possessed , I have enough ÖÄÅöäå to last me a life time, it even recognises both my DVD drives  and the screen saver works!!!!!
The only thing I've got to do now is figure out what the little weird and wonderful do-dads like konky do! big_smile

#621 2013-03-12 18:45:53

North

I have anold laptop and i had to find a small and fast operation system based on Debian. Well, i have been tried X-ubuntu, but it's installer died, next one was lubuntu, but its X-window systeam felt apart, then i gave a try fro #! and it works fine !

{NR}
Northern Rebels
Remember the best Halo clan ever.
We were here to stay !

#622 2013-03-14 16:21:57

mehr

Wanted to try something new. Went to the website, and the mission statement intrigued me to install. I have yet to regret trading in my Arch system for this. Installation was extremely straightforward and thought it was smart to give me so many options on how I wanted to partition my HDD instead of the usual two options I am used to (automatically bunch /, /var, /home, etc all in one partition, or do it yourself). The post-installation script imo was a great touch, especially the part when it asked me if I wanted to install LAMP stack..no distribution has ever asked me that before lolol.  More importantly things just work out of the box, and the default settings look sleek and modern. Keep up the great work devs.

#623 2013-03-18 21:38:04

nabu

Being using all popular and lots of experimental distros over 7 years of Linux enjoyment, and after trying all combinations of Distro/Desktop Environment/Window manager, simply Debian+Openbox appeared to be such a profound experience, that once you go through it, you never leave it. It gives you all freedom, stability and lightness that can hardly be found in some other system.

#624 2013-03-18 23:43:19

hammy_283
#! Member

My reason for using crunchbang is because it is awesome.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#625 2013-03-20 18:46:43

Archiboldian
Website

Fast, simple, stylish, beautiful, hackable, programmer friendly, stable, comfortable, professionally designed, intuitive, the name.
And a lot more...

archiboldian.co.uk -- main site
exp/erimental -- browser based javascript experiment-art

Board footer