SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-30 19:26:53

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Just switched to Iceweasel and I'm really happy!

Doomicide wrote:

Well your browsing behaviour and visited sites are tracked and what is not clear in your post is that everything that goes in the address bar - search term or url - is send to them. It's optional, sure, but it's definitely not a pro argument for chrome. I have some more points but I figure that may just be a matter of how high/low you value some stuff and the privacy debate has propably been held a thousand times and my initial question is still not answered. wink

Edit: Oh wait it is, sorry.

Eh, that data goes to Google if you use Google as the search provider. It's the exact same thing if you use Firefox, the difference being that Firefox doesn't have omni-search by default (it can be enabled). The thing is, the search engine is the one collecting the data, not the browser. Change the search engine to DDG or something and the problem is gone.

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-01-31 15:17:10

Doomicide
#! Junkie
Website

el_koraco wrote:
Doomicide wrote:

Well your browsing behaviour and visited sites are tracked and what is not clear in your post is that everything that goes in the address bar - search term or url - is send to them. It's optional, sure, but it's definitely not a pro argument for chrome. I have some more points but I figure that may just be a matter of how high/low you value some stuff and the privacy debate has propably been held a thousand times and my initial question is still not answered. wink

Edit: Oh wait it is, sorry.

Eh, that data goes to Google if you use Google as the search provider. It's the exact same thing if you use Firefox, the difference being that Firefox doesn't have omni-search by default (it can be enabled). The thing is, the search engine is the one collecting the data, not the browser. Change the search engine to DDG or something and the problem is gone.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up; I admit defeat big_smile. You never stop learning, I guess.

“From each according to his faculties; to each according to his needs”
Look at the code. Look at the silly code!

#28 2013-01-31 18:21:39

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Doomicide wrote:

Ok, thank you for clearing that up; I admit defeat big_smile. You never stop learning, I guess.

The majority of FUD about Google Chrome came from those scammers producing the "private" and "optimized" builds like Iron and whatnot. Mind you, I'm not saying Google isn't spying on users, just that Chrome isn't a primary tool for that. For my money, I like their services, so I don't mind their intrusions, though I wouldn't trust them with really sensitive data.

#29 2013-03-07 23:06:59

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I relapsed (during February) back to using Chromium, but it's been apt-get remove --purge'd from my system now. Back to Iceweasel! smile

#30 2013-03-08 18:20:47

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

I wish it were practical for me to cut Google out of my life.  hmm I'm a Google Apps user for email with my domain (got the grandfathered free edition long ago). I've gotten pretty used to Chrome and have started using its sync feature. I do choose the encryption option for that though. I've just been using Ghostery (and Adblock+), so hopefully that keeps me out of their analytics. I use DDG sometimes instead of google search. Lately I have flash/java set to click to play (with a whitelist for some sites).

My only annoyance with Firefox/Iceweasel is the flash player doesn't seem as good as Chrome's included one. I get a screen flicker at the beginning of when a video starts playing. Also, I like Chrome's process per tab model which I've found to more stable. I tend to have loads of tabs open at once.

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

Board footer