SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-04 16:38:27

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

[Solved] Help needed: Looking for a linux-compatible printer

Hi folks,

I need your help. wink

I urgently need a new printer and finding one that is supported on linux is a frickin' pain in the butt.

What I have done so far is to randomly search through the openprinting-database and look for the model on amazon to find out that it was built in 1928 or that it will cost me 10.000 bucks to get it...

I guess this approach is incredibly stupid - but searching google for CUPS/linux compatible/supported/recommended printers didn't bring tangible results either.

So I thought - maybe - someone here can simply recommend a printer to me.

I am looking for:

- a laser-printer (b/w is all I need)
- with integrated scanner
- price: max. 200$/150€ - better: 130$/100€

I really don't need anything fancy. Simply a somewhat robust laser-printer with embedded scanner.

So, any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-03-04 18:21:13)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-03-04 18:00:44

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: [Solved] Help needed: Looking for a linux-compatible printer

HP's seem to be pretty well covered with Linux drivers. HP specifically releases hp-lip which is their own Linux driver configuration tool, which automatically sorts out all drivers, configuration, etc. I've got a HP Laserjet 1018 set up in work with hp-lip and it works fine.

#3 2013-03-04 18:00:52

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

I just had an idea:

How about getting an HP-printer/scanner try it out under #! and if it fails - simply use win on a VM for printing?

That wouldn't be a big deal for me since I can save up the print-jobs that need to be done and do them in one bulk through the VM. But the question is:

Is it possible to use a VM for printing? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks!

Edit:

Apparently an ubuntu-user had the same idea and got it working...

But still: Any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-03-04 18:05:06)

#4 2013-03-04 18:07:47

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

dura wrote:

HP's seem to be pretty well covered with Linux drivers. HP specifically releases hp-lip which is their own Linux driver configuration tool, which automatically sorts out all drivers, configuration, etc. I've got a HP Laserjet 1018 set up in work with hp-lip and it works fine.

Thanks, dura. I hadn't seen your reply before posting my previous question.

Yes, I know about hp-lip - that's why I thought sticking to HP would be a good idea. Good to know that it seems to be working so well. I guess, then I will browse amazon to look for an affordable HP-model. And if it doesn't work I can still try to use it through virtualbox. Thanks!

Edit:

Great idea: Looking on hplip's website for supported models... wink

Found one: HP LaserJet Pro M1132 All-in-One -> fully supported.

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-03-04 18:22:09)

#5 2013-03-04 21:38:12

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

sorcerer's_apprentice wrote:

Found one: HP LaserJet Pro M1132 All-in-One -> fully supported.

The Laserjet series works pretty well. I have one in the office, though I don't know the model. Works without a hitch.

#6 2013-03-04 22:28:29

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

I just had an idea:

How about getting an HP-printer/scanner try it out under #! and if it fails - simply use win on a VM for printing?

That wouldn't be a big deal for me since I can save up the print-jobs that need to be done and do them in one bulk through the VM. But the question is:

Thanks!

Edit:

Based on research I did last year, and some personal experience, if a peripheral doesn't work under Linux, then using Windows in a VM will not work either.  To put it another way, if the peripheral isn't recognized or doesn't work on the host OS, then the peripheral will not work on the guest OS.

#7 2013-03-05 02:53:07

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

KrunchTime wrote:

I just had an idea:

Thanks!

Edit:

Based on research I did last year, and some personal experience, if a peripheral doesn't work under Linux, then using Windows in a VM will not work either.  To put it another way, if the peripheral isn't recognized or doesn't work on the host OS, then the peripheral will not work on the guest OS.

Ok. That's good to know. Well, I should get some printer running in linux. Either a HP or a brother - as you kindly pointed out.

#8 2013-03-21 21:05:55

MyR

I totally understand the frustration with the open printing database. It is almost totally useless when searching for a printer to buy.

Here's a site I hope may help someone find a printer with the right specs: linux printers

Also I, for one, have had success using a vm (vitualbox) for printing to an incompatible Dell printer.  Obviously this isn't a great solution and printers are so cheap it's way better just to buy one that works.

Hope this helps!

P.S. you can add a printer review here: http://linuxdeal.com/add-printer.php

Linux user since 2005

#9 2013-03-22 07:02:16

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

KrunchTime wrote:

I realize this thread is marked as solved, but I wanted to comment on this. My Samsung laser printer has awful Linux support, so I occasionally use it with a Windows XP VM. I simply pass the USB device through and it works perfectly. This is using VirtualBox.
Edit: Oh. The guy above me has done the same thing apparently. I skim too quickly. roll

Last edited by stolid (2013-03-22 07:03:24)

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

Board footer