SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-13 16:25:27

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Google Drive

I was looking for options for Google Drive integration on #!. I was wondering what if anything people have done for this. I know there is a project called grive, also Insync (which seems to have lots of dependencies).

I have looked into just using dropbox, but google's storage is so much cheaper.

So any opinions or solutions?

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-13 18:03:45

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Google Drive

I've heard of these too but no experience with them. The easiest would of course be to keep it open in a browser tab, or migrate to Android. Short of this, Dropbox or Spideroak are the way to go, the latter corrupted my backup files though so, obviously, not recommended. I'm not knowledgeable about how much Google is giving you, but how much storage do you need?
There's also another service called Box which for a few days gave away 50GB but has no Linux client. You may be able to run the Windows client in Wine.
I can invite two people to get 50Gb each as well, let me know if you're interested. Sorry not to be of more help with the core of your question.

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#3 2013-02-13 19:10:07

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks for the reply Barnabyh,

I need at least 80gigs right now..... I would like to throw all my music, photos, and docs in the cloud. As a permanent backup.

I may use drop box.  Seeing how Dropbox has the smoothest integration with nix... it's $9.99 for 100gigs ..... Where the same price would be 200gigs on googles servers. But the native app may make the extra cost worth it.

But here is Google's pricing for storage right now.
Storage     Monthly Rate
25 GB     $2.49
100 GB     $4.99
200 GB     $9.99
400 GB     $19.99
1 TB             $49.99
2 TB             $99.99
4 TB           $199.99
8 TB           $399.99
16 TB      $799.99

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#4 2013-02-13 21:22:11

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

You're welcome! That's quite a lot you need there. Like you said, the cross-platform client is probably worth it if you don't mind another monthly direct debit. Security is now better as well, until recently I would not have entertained using Dropbox for that reason. Just as a backup service for general and not-confidential stuff it seems to be a good solution.

There's also Owncloud. I believe you want your backup off-site but apparently you can rent from a provider and it also offers a Linux client plus the source code. Or you put a server in a friend's house, into your office or something.
Apparently there will also be a Google Drive client for Linux eventually, so if you can wait...

Best wishes,
Barnabyh

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

#5 2013-02-18 02:29:06

d-

Sorry for off-topic-ing, but it got a little bit off-topiced already:
I'm using DropBox right now (partly due to the fact that MobileOrg doesn't synchronize with almost anything else), but there's also another issue that one might consider when thinking about using the big G's storage system (I certainly have) and it's the ownership issue.
You can read more on that here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-far-d … iles/75228 (at least the first part with the excerpts is worth reading). In short: it's very unclear when it comes to Google. And I know that the likelihood of Google claiming any rights to your files is almost non-existant, but it's always nice to have all of the bases covered, I guess.

#6 2013-02-18 12:24:01

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Valid point d-

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

#7 2013-02-28 17:46:04

d-

I've just found out about this particular service. It looks quite nice -- it's 8 GB's for free, not file size limit, encrypted by design and from the creators of xombrero.
Plus it's not expensive: $0.10 for a GB, if you need more.
And there's a native Linux client.
https://www.cyphertite.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe it's worth a try. smile

Cheers,
d-.

#8 2013-02-28 18:37:53

txbahai
#! CrunchBanger

Going to check this out -d

d- wrote:

I've just found out about this particular service. It looks quite nice -- it's 8 GB's for free, not file size limit, encrypted by design and from the creators of xombrero.
Plus it's not expensive: $0.10 for a GB, if you need more.
And there's a native Linux client.
https://www.cyphertite.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe it's worth a try. smile

Cheers,
d-.

Kindest Regards,
Tim A

Board footer