SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-23 21:41:40

TovaSLO

Old laptop will not accept boot from USB key

Hello
I am not only new to Linux but also to #! so I might need terms explained in very simple english...
I've been observing Linux for a while and now finaly decided to try it out myself. I have a slightly older Dell Latitude C810 from arround 2000, for wich I've decided to put a Linux distribution on. At first I wanted to try Ubuntu but when I put the CD in to boot and pressed F12 it seems like it was doing something at first but the screen was just black, nothing happened and after an hour of I gave up and tried it again on my FujitsuSiemens Desktop and I got the Ubuntu trial version on in less than 15 minutes, working normaly.
After that I decided I might get something a little less demanding. On a blog I saw written that #!  is a distribution that is less demanding and works well with old computers. I downloaded the file and put it on a USB key as instructed. Then I tried to boot the laptop and wanted to select from where it will load (you know, CD drive, floppy drive...) I realised that USB was not even an option. Is it even possible to boot from the USB port on an old laptop like this? After that I put the file on a CD and put it in the laptop. I got a nice startup screen and selected Install choose languages and all of that and after a while it said ''Insert CD'' but the CD was already in the computer. Can anyone help?

Thank you, I am a complete noob.

The Devil is in the details

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-02-23 22:54:02

km00
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Old laptop will not accept boot from USB key

According to this you are not able to boot from USB. Looking into your CD problem.

Last edited by km00 (2013-02-23 22:56:06)

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#3 2013-02-24 10:09:20

TovaSLO

Yeah, it's too old... everytime when you are working with old computers you just know you're going to have some trouble /:
Thank you  big_smile

#4 2013-02-24 10:15:07

FreewheelinFrank
#! Member
Website

There's a way to boot from USB in old laptops if you have a floppy drive:

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.co.uk … n-old.html

But watch out, USB1 is slllooowwww. If you hit live boot and it looks like nothing is happening, be patient!

#5 2013-02-24 10:20:39

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Possibly an old dirty cdrom drive; try opening & closing the drive when it asks (?).

Does it run in 'live' mode, if not, did you check the MD5 sum, (perhaps a corrupt download).

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#6 2013-02-24 10:23:11

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

I seem to remember this being an issue in the past.  It might not just be your machine... Are you using the latest Stable?

#7 2013-02-24 11:51:16

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

i have a Dell Latitude C400 i seem to remember it booting from USB with some help from plop bootloader. (hint d/l hirens bootCD -> http://www.hirensbootcd.org/ because it's on a CD and choose plop from the boot menu - works great from there.)

BtW there are many other 'lightweight' distros that do happily fit on a CD http://linuxbbq.org for example.

#8 2013-02-24 20:27:03

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Another two distros to try if you are unsuccessful with #!, both run live, antiX (Debian based) &/or SliTaz (very small distro).

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#9 2013-08-16 16:13:17

TovaSLO

Hello guys!
Finnaly, I'm back xD Unfortunetly I didn't manage to get Crunchbang to work on my archaic laptop and it made me quite dissapointed. But then my parents just happened to buy my sister a brand new laptop and I got to use her old Hewlett Packard Compaq 6730b, to wich she stated ''it doesen't work.'' And that was right it had some serious issues. I got my hopes up and got the boot program for #! back on my USB key, and when I tried to boot it it frooze. But amazingly after I left it like that for about 3 hours, the instalation sequence finnaly opened! From then I got the system up and running in about 15 minutes, and here I am faster than ever before big_smile I'll try to install puppy linux on the old laptop sometime but for now I want to focus on actualy learning how to use crunchbang and I am... absolutely clueless haha
Does anyone know where I can read like, a beginers tutorial explained in leyman's terms? And how different is Crunchbang from Debian? If I read a Debian tutorial will things be simmilar here? For thoose of you who didn't loose faith in me please reply. Thanks : D

#10 2013-08-16 16:57:50

arochester
#! Member

I have 3 Dell Latitude C400s. Crunchbang is one of the few distros that will work out-of-the-box.

One on the biggest determining factors is the amount of RAM. I have always maxed out the C400s.

How much RAM do you have on both machines?

#11 2013-08-16 17:02:51

TovaSLO

Hmm perhaps I can still give it another go.
On the Hewlett Packard 6730b I have... I am completly clueless how to even check the computer information on Crunchbang... I: Where can it be found? I really need to get used to this...

On my Dell Latitude C810 I have 512MB of RAM.

#12 2013-08-16 17:07:18

TovaSLO

Oh. I am an idiot. On Crunchbang I have RAM written on the side ha, how stupid of me... The HP has 1,91GB or RAM.

#13 2013-08-16 18:01:21

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

TovaSLO wrote:

And how different is Crunchbang from Debian? If I read a Debian tutorial will things be similar here?

Crunchbang IS Debian, so any tutorial written for Debian will be useful with Crunchbang.

#14 2013-08-16 18:49:22

TovaSLO

Oh! Awesome then : D

Board footer