SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-11 21:53:08

SailorTears
Website

Crunchbang Curious

I've been using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and just about had my fill of the slo-mo. In their forums, Cruchbang was recommend and I am considering it very strongly.

A couple of questions. Is there a Software Manager or does everyone install stuff with apt commands?

Anyone running QBittorrent and if so, how is it doing?

Is it true that Transmission no longer support SOCKS5 proxies? Are people really running BT clients without proxies? In the U.S.? Seems very dangerous to me.

How does Opera work on it?

These are the things that I absolutely cannot live without - except VLC and I see it is including with the install - way cool.

Anyway. thank you for your help and DEATH TO BLOATWARE!!!

It is by caffeine alone that i set my mind in motion...

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-02-11 22:57:14

saneks
#! Die Hard

Re: Crunchbang Curious

welcome around! - yes, we have a software manager, yes. but I can't recall its name, because I usually use apt-get to install stuff. I am typing this from another computer, so cant check it out  big_smile

(edit: right now I find it quite entertaining that I forgot the name, because I just haven't used it since 2 years)

just download the iso, pull it to a usb and try and enjoy the ride and see what we have on board by default - did you know you can install and testdrive your preferred software on a live-system as well? you cant break anything.

check out the help and support page and FAQ, very useful information gathered on the forum.
---
edit2: I just remembered.. our software manager is the synaptic package manager

Last edited by saneks (2013-02-11 23:23:33)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#3 2013-02-12 00:05:44

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

I run transmission without a proxy... but then all I torrent are Linux DVDs. The employer will doubtless rat me out to the lawyers if I do anything else. smile I've seen it happen.

I believe synaptic still works just fine... but it's been a long time since I've used it. I believe apt-get is recommended if you are on Waldorf, which is based on Debian Testing.

Opera works fine... just download from those wacky Norwegians* and install via your choice of methods (dpkg, et. al.). Not my choice of browser, but I did install it on my netbook the other week.

*(PS: No insult meant to the Norwegians. My wife is half-Norwegian and I have been back there to see the relatives. Great country and great people.)

Last edited by bigbenaugust (2013-02-12 00:07:19)

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#4 2013-02-12 01:13:05

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie

SailorTears wrote:

Anyone running QBittorrent and if so, how is it doing?

Is it true that Transmission no longer support SOCKS5 proxies? Are people really running BT clients without proxies? In the U.S.? Seems very dangerous to me.

I don't know about Transmission and SOCKS5 but it sounds like you would be using TOR with that configuration - which, frankly, kinda sucks. Streaming, filesharing and the like shouldn't be done with TOR. You might want to check out I2Psnark, I2P's torrent-client. It doesn't get more secure than that while leaving the TOR bandwidth to those who need it.

Regarding apt-get/synaptic:

I don't know if you know

$ apt-cache search some-program

but with that you can also search your repos without having to use a pkg-manager.

Cheers!

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-02-12 01:13:24)

#5 2013-02-12 09:07:50

intoCB
Scatweasel

Synaptic works fine and is the same as it is on Ubuntu.

Software-Center exists too - debranded. However, I have found this not to work so well. I don't know what the others have to say on that score.

Programming challenge:
Write a simple program that makes a verse of Shirley Ellis' The Name Game based on an inputted name as a parameter.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Name_Game

#6 2013-02-12 21:26:36

douglas
#! CrunchBanger

apt-get rules... stick with it and you will be fine.

Welcome to #!

#7 2013-02-13 08:52:42

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard SailorTears.

(Another apt-get user here.)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#8 2013-02-15 20:31:22

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community SailorTears, we are glad to have you!

apt-get is fine until you need aptitude   wink

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#9 2013-02-24 13:06:03

SailorTears
Website

TOR? Me? Nope. I played with TOR a couple of years ago and found a program that displays a map where the TOR routers/servers are....most where either in China or the Washington, D.C./Langley, VA area. I do not trust TOR at all. I vaguely recall something about a U.S. government agency of some kind was even in on the initial development. Besides, you right, TOR is not for p2p sharing. I use a private paid proxy provider..

Last edited by SailorTears (2013-02-24 13:10:23)

#10 2013-02-24 13:13:17

SailorTears
Website

Now, I said that I could not live with Opera but now I am. I give Iceweasel a try and it rawks. Like #!, it looks like peeps decided that we needed a version of Mozilla without the bloatware - not to mention that trademark problem that should have never occurred in any FOSS.. Thanks to all involved!

#11 2013-02-24 14:01:42

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

You can install Ubuntu's Software Center in #!. It's just called software-center in the repos (the branding is removed everywhere).

#12 2013-02-24 14:10:50

SailorTears
Website

No, thanks, Synaptic is just what I wanting.

#13 2013-02-24 16:14:22

km00
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome SailorTears

I use Deluge and it runs really smoothy - no idea about Transmission, first thing once I got on #! was apt-get purge!

Agreed! I used to use Chromium, but Iceweasel just looks and runs very nicely!

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by km00 (2013-02-24 16:14:56)

In the Service of General Cuckoo

#14 2013-02-24 17:35:24

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

km00 wrote:

no idea about Transmission

I use transmission regularly on a number of machines. It is a very nice application. I have never encountered any issues with it. One particularly nice feature is its web interface, which (if configured properly) allows one to remotely check up on torrent-status.

Board footer