SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 16:57:44

kristaps

Matlab on #!

Hi

I am contemplating buying Matlab & Simulink (student version) which costs a 100 bucks. As this is quite a big investment for me (and I am a bit partial about changing distros just to run Matlab), I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with Matlab running on Crunch natively? Any major problems or everything running smoothly? I tried googling it, but only found this, which as far as I understand is a simple dependency issue that can easily be resolved. Most of the stuff I found pertains to Ubuntu. I realize some of it could be transferable, but I would still like to hear from actual #! users.

Btw, I am now on 64-bit Statler, albeit in the following weeks will most likely move to Waldorf.

P.S. please do not recommend me any open source alternatives. I know they are there, but I require Matlab specifically due to the peculiarity of the work I have to do. Let's not make this in an Octave (or anything else) thread.

tl;dr Matlab on #! natively, yay or nay?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

/Brendan Gill/

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-22 17:00:40

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: Matlab on #!

I have no experience with Matlab, but #! is just Debian. If Matlab runs on Debian then it will run on  #!.

#3 2013-01-22 17:34:12

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

I have only used Matlab on UNIX but one of the guys I share an office with works a lot with Matlab on Suse.

Why not ask Mathworks?
Debian 6 is mentioned here:
http://www.mathworks.se/support/sysreq/ … linux.html
There is some sort of user community as well.

/Martin

#4 2013-01-22 17:39:10

kristaps

dura wrote:

I have no experience with Matlab, but #! is just Debian. If Matlab runs on Debian then it will run on  #!.

Ok, now I feel silly, because this makes perfect sense.

MartinRF wrote:

I have only used Matlab on UNIX but one of the guys I share an office with works a lot with Matlab on Suse.
Why not ask Mathworks?
Debian 6 is mentioned here:
http://www.mathworks.se/support/sysreq/ … linux.html
There is some sort of user community as well.
/Martin

Thanks. Looks like I will be fine with running Matlab on #!.

/Brendan Gill/

#5 2013-02-05 23:40:06

kristaps

Just to add to this thread, I finally bought Matlab. I'm on 64-bit Statler and a 32-bit Matlab runs just fine if you run it with a -glnx86 flag. The installation and everything went smoothly.

/Brendan Gill/

#6 2013-02-06 21:11:25

rockon1215

I'm curious, what is technical reason to using MATLAB to Octave or SciPy or NumPy?

Or is simply a matter of being more familiar/comfortable with MATLAB? (Which is a very valid reason)

#7 2013-02-07 01:18:00

kristaps

rockon1215 wrote:

I'm curious, what is technical reason to using MATLAB to Octave or SciPy or NumPy?

Or is simply a matter of being more familiar/comfortable with MATLAB? (Which is a very valid reason)

I would prefer using Octave and SciPy as I am a fairly stingy person. However, I am at a university and several of my courses involve Matlab. For example, I am doing a course in Embedded and Hybrid Control for which the TA has written a neat robotics simulator (yes, the course is basically about robotics - we simulate some control algorithms and then we actually implement them on real robots) in Matlab. Without it, I pretty much would not be able to do the course. I am also doing a computer vision course where all homework is in Matlab. A lot of Matlab's image processing stuff is not available in Octave (and we're given all data, code stubs and such formatted for Matlab).

tl;dr fracking university

/Brendan Gill/

Board footer