SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-19 14:44:58

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

Recommend me some Good Music Studio Software for #!

Hello!
Since I changed from Windows to Linux I haven't really made Music on the Computer, but I would like to try it again.

I don't need a pure multi track recorder,
but something that allows me to easily loop and arrange samples and add effects.
I can use extra software, like audacity, to create these samples.
I don't use midi.

In my Windoze days i was using a program called "Open MPT", a free mod tracker (not available for linux).
I got aquainted with it, but i wasn't too happy with it and constantly trying others (fruity loops is one i remember).

I hope i made it fairly clear what I'm looking for.

Another concern is pulseaudio/jackaudio.
I was already considering to remove pulseaudio from my otherwise standard #!-install.
It seems that most linux music software uses jackaudio? Can it even work alongside pulseaudio?
I once installed it on a different system and i never got it set up properly and uninstalled it at some point.
So if there was a solution for me without jackaudio, i think that would suit me better.

Hardware is a 2008 standard laptop, 64bit, two 1.7GHz processors, 2GB RAM.
No special soundcards. Just some intel audio.

Thanks in advance!

d.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-01-19 19:00:01

dawiba
#! Member

Re: Recommend me some Good Music Studio Software for #!

Last edited by dawiba (2014-04-04 17:04:08)

#3 2013-01-21 20:12:09

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

hmm, i guess i misused about all technical terms in my first post.
anyway i took a few days to get (re)aquainted.
i even installed linuxbbq-rocks! - but im not quite ready to go into a full sound station installation.
so i searched, retraced what i'd gotten aquainted with in my windows days.
so what i'm looking for is that modular tracker way of working but it seems most trackers as such are outdated (boy did i have a hard time trying to resolve outdated dependencies...) and right now i'm there with:

buzztard (the only one where i actually went through the manual install rigmarole. it's in active dev so i thought it's worth it)

jokosher (haven't really tried it yet but i like the simple gtk interface)

sunvox (my favorite right now. simple, lightning fast, reads mod/xm)

milkytracker, schism (old style but developed until fairly recently. maybe the sound quality is better than the interface suggests)

there's also radium, uncompiled yet. looks very interesting and the git repository seems to be free (in both senses; the win and mac versions cost)

right now i'm concerned about sound quality.
if i commit myself to one way of programing music, i want to be sure i can produce good sound quality with it.
my own sound equipment isn't really good enough to hear it; i had the experience that after a mixdown i suddenly realised that the quality is not so good...

right now i'm running everything through alsa. (i uninstalled pulse, no prob)

thoughts, ideas, advice?

thanks.

d.

Last edited by ohnonot (2013-01-24 06:23:44)

#4 2013-01-21 22:01:54

junkie
#! Junkie

quick read, sorry if i missed something but have you checked out Renoise?

#5 2013-01-22 07:07:03

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

#6 2013-01-22 07:19:30

junkie
#! Junkie

Try the free demo. Should be an option on the download page. There is an install.sh just un pack the archive and run it.
Also, search for ladspa plugins online or through debians's packages.
You should use Renoise with jack audio and a real time priority set.
I use Renoise, hydrogen (integrates with Renoise nicely) and audacity (for samples). Also check online for Bitwig. Bitwig looks very promising and a healthy rival to Abelton live. Actually heard the developers for Bitwig were x Abelton developers; right across the street from eachother evidently. Bitwig is currently only in beta invite only activity... hmm

I think Linuxbbq Rocks! would be an excellent way to go about this. Jack, and a realtime kernel all set up and ready to go.

Last edited by junkie (2013-01-22 07:26:01)

#7 2013-01-22 07:56:26

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

i'm gonna try the free demo.
i'd used renoise on windows (a friend had kindly given me his access to download a full version - but it got lost when i changed to linux).
remember it was good.

anyhow, if it's good then paying 50+ euros for it once is no problem.
also i noticed on the web site that you can directly to their bank account, which i appreciate very much. paypal is elitist.

what about bitwig? any chance to "become a beta tester"?

------------------

i found that sunvox has a settings file to adjust sample bitrate - i set it to 96000 now.
it seems to be working and alsa seems to be supporting it, too, but i can't see any increase in cpu usage.
weird.
or maybe another russian software miracle?

#8 2013-01-22 08:26:43

junkie
#! Junkie

ohnonot wrote:

what about bitwig? any chance to "become a beta tester"?

You can subscribe to their beta testing arena, I've been for a while...

#9 2013-01-22 08:37:03

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

bitwig wrote:

Login

Please note: At the moment, you can only log in if you received a beta invite.

#10 2013-01-22 08:42:55

Ferre
#! Member

This post actually interests me since I've made music in my (very long time ago) Amiga-days with Octamed. I'd like to restart making music on Linux but I didn't find anything as good as the ancient Octamed. I know Sunvox but have no experience with it. Anyhow, I'll be following this topic close-by.

A computer without Windows is like a pie without mustard #!

#11 2013-01-24 06:40:34

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

@Ferre: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7358
goat, milky and schism are in the repos. they are really old style ;-)
i tried to compile cheese-, pro- and soundtracker but failed.

i really like sunvox, full stop. but i don't know where it's limits are. it seems a bit like a hobby thing, make music on your touch phone...
right now renoise looks like a favorite.
they both read modular files but save in their own format.

btw, it is possible to compile radium. it works and seems to have some unique features.
but there seems to be no community whatsoever although it has been around for a while.

@everybody:
any thoughts about sound quality?
is it enough to set all sample rates to the highest possible values?
i've been using analog equipment up to 10 years ago. there's the obvious rules to reduce tape noise by always using max gain+volume.
i never really found out if that applies to digital sound production, too...

Last edited by ohnonot (2013-01-24 06:47:15)

#12 2013-01-24 06:50:44

Ferre
#! Member

@ohnonot : I've subscribed on that forum a while ago but thx anyway smile I've worked a bit with LMMS but I'm more into the tracker stuff. Now it's actually the ideal time to restart focussing on making music, it's cold outside and since I've stopped distro-hopping ... wink

#13 2013-01-24 10:16:03

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

You might want to look at qtractor, it is a simple and stable multitrack recorder.

For sample rates, 48k will be fine, 96 won't really be worth it and will use up more CPU.

#14 2013-01-24 20:53:41

tonyoptical
#! CrunchBanger

@ohnonot

I do recommend that you should have a look here:

http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

This thingy should do all what you want/need and even more. I tried once turning CB into an audio workstation and failed ... AVL is just great for musicians out of the box.

just my 2 cents

#15 2013-01-26 18:01:58

schwim
#! Die Hard

Hi there ohno,

I was wondering if I could ask you a question concerning the way you make music.  I record guitar, drums etc. in the basement through a mixer, but have always been interested in the ability to make music via samples through an application.  I've worked with drum machines, but just to create a simple track to follow on the drums.

If I wanted to make a track on the computer, what would be the process?  I've downloaded sound packs on the web before for use in a drum machine.  Is that similar to the process you would use?  Layering sounds that aren't percussion related in a drum machine type of application?

I understand that the question is vague, but hope you understand what I'm asking big_smile

#16 2013-01-27 20:16:40

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

schwim wrote:

Layering sounds that aren't percussion related in a drum machine type of application?

i think that pretty much sums it up.
i started making music with a 4-track recorder and a drum machine in the 90s and then had a long break of 10 years, so i can relate to your question.
i've been trying out more software now, most is really based on samples, so even the "drum machine" uses samples and of course you can replace the drum sounds with little bits of guitar, car horns, whatever. heavily processed with effects.
then there's real synthesizers, which means the original sound is generated electronically (is not a small bit of recording), but again it usually runs through loads of filters and postprocessing and echoes and whatnot.
you can also change the pitch of the sample, so you can assign it to a keyboard (make it an instrument) and then play with that.
then there's the old style tracker that displays sound events in a horizontal scroll with hex values. most software i tried still uses that but have built a lot of other graphical stuff and features around it.
others are just better graphical multitrack recorders and/or audio processing programs (jokosher, audacity).
you could just try milkytracker or schism (both in the repos) to get the history of trackers, and then try sth like renoise.
----------------------
@everybody:
right now i'm trying to get sound from outside into my computer. i have a mic input and line input on my laptop, is there a way to make jack recognize that?

Last edited by ohnonot (2013-01-27 20:21:10)

#17 2013-01-27 22:31:41

schwim
#! Die Hard

ohnonot wrote:

and then try sth like renoise.

Do you have any suggestion for a free application to play with similar to renoise? $80 US is a little hefty for just playing with it smile

#18 2013-01-28 00:35:29

junkie
#! Junkie

I love audacity for cleaning up samples. I make drum layers in audacity too. Hydrogen can make layers, but I've found the feature to be broken. I try to make my own kicks, snares, etc.., from different snippets of samples and mix them into a single sample. Then, I sequence them in Hydrogen and/or sync Hydrogen with Renoise (I use the free demo).

You can use qjackctl to sync Hydrogen with Renoise, but honestly I find Renoise better sometimes for adding drums; different calls for different measures I guess.

Here are the free demo restrictions as seen on the Renoise download page:
# no ASIO support on Windows
# rendering to .wav is disabled
# rendering/resampling selections is disabled
# rendering/freezing plugin instruments to samples is disabled
# nag screens
# as ReWire Master, only the first stereo input bus will be available
# as ReWire Slave, Renoise will occasionally generate a small subtle hiss

Also, you could check out Ardour which is a bit similar to Pro Tools.
Then there is LMMS, which I dislike.

Update

schwim wrote:

Layering sounds that aren't percussion related in a drum machine type of application?

I do it all the time!

For example, I have a lot of .flv vids I've downloaded for samples, e.g., cartoons, thunder/rain...
In Audacity, I cut a little sub from a part of the thunder sample, paste it In a new track and clean it up/enhance.
Then take tiny snippets from the cartoon where they are playing their bones like a xylophone ( a bonophone if you will smile )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … X8Q#t=227s

I try to take very small parts from my samples and recreate something new.

I layer junk like this all the time. Well honestly, I have been pretty lazy lately. There is just so much to learn about, and can be distracting at times as I'm sure most Linux users can relate too...

Last edited by junkie (2013-01-28 00:55:51)

#19 2013-01-28 17:53:15

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

hello schwim, i'm using the renoise demo version and find it satisfactory.
when you have a jackaudio setup it's really easy to combine it with other apps so you don't need the disabled features.
like mastering to jamin or timemachine.
but i haven't really gotten into it myself. the way i suggested to you is how i myself went at it.

for some reason i recoil from the "obvious" choices like ardour, rosegarden, qtractor, lmms. i don't really know myself why.
but i will try them all out!

what i tried out was buzztard and neil; i find them both buggy/half-finished. but the mistake could be on my side, wrong compiling, i don't know.

sunvox is fun and good enough, but i'm starting to see it's limitations. but, then again, it seems to be working flawlessly.
as does renoise.

some software seems to be trying to integrate everything into one app: a tracker, sample editing, synthesizer, effects...
this can be a bit too much to start with.

you will of course have to find out what suits you most, but your drum machine analogy really points to some tracker software.
the good thing about it: people have been using the same principle with 8bit mono samples in the early 90s, but with a new computer you can use it with 32bit stereo samples and achieve almost professional quality.
like the difference between a 303 and a 909.

what's your musical vision?

#20 2013-01-29 13:07:20

schwim
#! Die Hard

Thanks very much for your help guys.  I'm going to try Audacity for manipulating clips and Hydrogen for assembling the final product.  I use Audacity a lot, but am not sure how well I would do trying to create something that stuck to 120 BPM throughout.   The strict time keeping of a drum machine seems to suit me better.

Jackaudio and Ardour are things I don't understand the purpose of yet.  If it's something I stick with, I'll have to begin looking into expanding the tools I use, but for now it's probably safer if I stick with a minimal number of tools big_smile

I don't think I can say I have a vision in particular.  I can say that when I was 18, I found a NIN cd stuck in between the mattress and wall of a ship I was stationed on and I listened to it every night while working in the ship's laundry for like 3 months. It was the coolest thing I had heard up to that point.  I also like listening to dubstep because of the manipulation of the clips that they use.  That's probably the type of thing I would try to emulate at least initially.

Thanks again for both your help and thoughts smile

#21 2013-02-02 09:01:44

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

schwim wrote:

when I was 18, I found a NIN cd stuck in between the mattress and wall of a ship I was stationed on and I listened to it every night while working in the ship's laundry for like 3 months.

nice story!

#22 2013-03-14 04:37:30

junkie
#! Junkie

Started using a new synth emulator called "Bristol". A real gem! Really enjoy the fact that not a single one of the emulators
taHI1aQ
...has crashed on me. I built it on Slackware and not sure if it is available in the Deb repos (apt-get) but would be interested to hear how the quality is if so.
Currently trying to sync in Renoise realtime or playback but have not found a way to do so.
I have been successful recording samples in Audacity and each emulator shows up in qjackctl under audio.
I suspect that I can sync Bristol up with my MIDI controller - and my MIDI controller up with Renoise to achieve desirable results.

#23 2013-03-14 10:55:14

dawiba
#! Member

Last edited by dawiba (2014-04-04 17:04:59)

#24 2013-03-14 10:58:43

Ferre
#! Member

Very interesting, thx smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2013-03-14 16:07:58

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

i have recently installed tangostudio (based on ubuntu 10.04 LTS), it has bristol installed (monoBristol), version 0.60.10-1build2.
not sure about the quality, but it works. thanks, i probably wouldn't even have noticed it otherwise.

Board footer