SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-01-09 22:01:33

intoCB
Scatweasel

Re: Ubuntu's new clothes - my beef with Linux Mint

Everyone loves their first distro. It's like your first girlfriend/boyfriend. Nothing can replace that wow, that excitement of pushing through the clothes in the wardrobe to find not the hard boards of the back you were expecting but a whole new world to be explored.

It's true: if Windows works for you, stick with it.

Regarding Linux, I think if you do show it to a new user, show him/her Linux Mint and Ubuntu and talk them both up. Both are perfect for beginners and whichever one they prefer will largely come down to emotional criteria anyway, as with much in life.

Debian is great but there are lots of users out there who don't want to deal with font smoothing etc.

Honestly, I like what Clem does (from a broad conceptual point of view). He listens to the complaints about Ubuntu and provides a distro that corresponds to what users say they actually want. It's very noble and the favorable comments about Linux Mint plastered all over the web are a testament to his vision and his capability. However, it's still Ubuntu underneath. Sure, we're all Debian underneath ultimately but if it was as simple as that Clem would have switched to LMDE ages ago. He owes nothing to Ubuntu. If he takes Ubuntu as his starting point it's because it is a good starting point for Linux Mint.

Personally, I don't "click" with Mint but in fact of all the people I care about and have thought of corrupting by converting to Linux, I have only ever thought of doing it with Linux Mint.

It just bothers me when I see Ubuntu presented as a blemish on the face of Linux.

Leave my first Linux love alone, you bitches !

Last edited by intoCB (2013-01-09 22:04:07)

Optimised for interoperability and synergy.

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2013-01-09 22:41:16

zalew
#! Junkie

intoCB wrote:

Debian is great but there are lots of users out there who don't want to deal with font smoothing etc.

the greatest quote describing debian I found here on #! forums. oh wait, now I see it's yours! lol.
Debian is great but it's like some Communist country that after the revolution has purged itself of its artists as "bourgeois reactionaries"

#53 2013-01-09 22:47:49

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

zalew wrote:

Debian is great but it's like some Communist country that after the revolution has purged itself of its artists as "bourgeois reactionaries"

lol

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#54 2013-01-09 22:52:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

monkey

#55 2013-01-25 21:20:31

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

mynis01 wrote:

If you're having trouble deciding whether to donate/contribute to mint/ubuntu/#!, just go for debian  cool

Actually, you should include Debian in your contributions if you use a Debian derivative.  Without Debian, there would be no derivative.

#56 2013-01-25 21:23:06

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

bigbenaugust wrote:
intoCB wrote:

Does anyone have a date yet for the year of the Haiku desktop?  big_smile

2038?

lol

#57 2013-01-25 21:26:17

intoCB
Scatweasel

Debian-Ubuntu-Mint is the best thing ever to happen to users. When our choice becomes a) Fedora b) OpenSUSE then it's time to contemplate suicide.

#58 2013-01-25 21:39:20

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

intoCB wrote:

Debian-Ubuntu-Mint is the best thing ever to happen to users. When our choice becomes a) Fedora b) OpenSUSE then it's time to contemplate suicide.

We'll always have Slackware. smile

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

Board footer