SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-24 00:39:41

ew
#! Die Hard

Could this be my boot-issue...

Could this be the reason why I`m not able to boot the new kernels? If so, how could I resolve this.

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.7.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
: Unable to find an initial ram disk that I know how to handle.
Will not try to make an initrd.

- apt-mark hold account

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-01-24 11:28:23

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: Could this be my boot-issue...

Maybe, have a look in /boot for an initrd, see if you have /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs on your system.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2013-01-24 15:17:17

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Does liquorix come without an initrd? I have never used it myself.
Or perhaps you have installed and then removed liquorix, but dkms tries to rebuild the initrd?
Try installing the kernel with smxi.

#4 2013-01-24 23:13:37

ew
#! Die Hard

xaos52 wrote:

Or perhaps you have installed and then removed liquorix, but dkms tries to rebuild the initrd?

That could be it, because I`ve installed and removed both siduction and liquorix kernels several times, I also installed it with SMXI, but it wouldn`t boot.... Anyway, I`ve formatted the hdd, converted it to mbr, and reinstalled Ubuntu in oldfashioned bios-mode. Working perfectly, no issues. Now I`m going to add CB to the system. Hopefully it will be a bit easier for me to debug any boot issues without uefi to distract me. I guess I made it a bit difficult for myself by multibooting in uefi-mode. Ubuntu and LM14 worked very well with uefi, but by doing it the old way I can rule out uefi as an issue with #!....

So now I`ve started all over, from scratch. Well, off I go. Waldorf next:)

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-01-25 01:24:58

ew
#! Die Hard

xaos52 wrote:

I think I`ve found the problem with kernel 3.7: (Kernel 3.7 doesn`t boot using EFI Stub)
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1221652

If that`s the case, then I guess I`m better off now that I`m no longer in a uefi-system. But I`m a bit reluctant to try and upgrade to kernel 3.7.(0).4, because Kernel 3.2.0.4 hasn`t frozen yet...

Edit: I tried siduction 3.7.4 and it didn`t work in mbr-mode either. Something else must have happened in 3.7, because 3.5 boots fine, and if Ivy Bridge is the issue then you would expect that 3.7 supported it better than 3.5, or 3.2.0.4 which have some issues, but it boots... So whats up with 3.7. I guess I`ll google a bit:)

Last edited by ew (2013-01-25 23:40:41)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer