SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-01-21 21:46:58

ayushjsh

Re: (SOLVED)No luck with UEFI Install

thanks for the rc.xml , but could you think of any reason as to why I dont have any of them by default on my system. Also what if I changed my repositories to waldorf anf do a apt-get upgrade

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2013-01-21 21:55:49

ayushjsh

Well this was taking so much of my time just setting up my second laptop I forgot , I am using debian wheezy and crunchbang statler, like I said I just followed those instructions to the letter.

#28 2013-01-21 22:02:05

ayushjsh

i didnt change the debain repos by default from the netinstall so they were wheezy and I just added crunchbang statler from that guide.
Nonetheless I am slightly worried as to why the openbox xonfig files were not generated for me hmm
btw does crunchbang have any newer testing livsCds which would have uefi boot built in ? nightlies maybe , im more than happy to test and even send back reports !!!

#29 2013-01-22 04:46:31

mynis01
#! Die Hard

The newest waldorf image is from Jan. 19th and there is GRUB-EFI packages in the repo, so it's worth a shot if you were using an older image from before. Crunchbang is maintained by only one person, so I don't think there are nightly builds. wink I see a few different files in the repo that I linked that might have the /etc/skel files in them, so the instructions for adding those configs to a wheezy net install might be very different. I highly recommend that you don't mix the statler packages with wheezy packages, and if that's what you were doing I'm not surprised at all that it didn't work. Like I said, just look at the names of the files in the repo that I linked and install them. There's no longer an xfce version of #!, so the files are probably in cb-configs or cb-configs-all or something like that. If you want, you can use aptitude to browse the repo from command line after you add it.

#30 2013-01-22 16:34:07

ayushjsh

Well , I had some luck after all fiddling around myself. So I am going to mark this thread as SOLVED and start a new one with my newer issues. The new testing iso still does not boot from a usb as an installation media for UEFI system as the bootloader installed is syslinux and not grub2. I managed a workaround my copying the grub2 and efi directories from the debian media and changed the grob.cfg to boot crunchbang and voila it did. My new problem is that crunchbang installer did not detect my network card during setup and i continued the install anyways. Then at the stage of install bootloader , i got the error "the 'grub-efi' package failed to install into /target/".  and now I have an installed crunchbang system which I cannot boot into. So I am going to try boot-repair from debian live cd and see it it fixes my grub. Else a new thread to get more help.Thanks for all the help along the way mynis01. I am really determined to get crunchbang , its just giving me too much trouble , this damned uefi !!!

Last edited by ayushjsh (2013-01-22 16:34:32)

#31 2013-01-22 16:40:55

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Remember Debian isn't really designed around bleeding edge hardware, and the UEFI installer is still very much in the beta phase. If you wanna see a very mature UEFI installer for Linux, check out Fedora, they've done some amazing work with theirs. You might want to consider dual booting a wheezy/sid net install on a small partition side by side with a larger #! partition. That way you can just use Debian to manage your GRUB configuration. I'm glad you finally got it up and running to some extent!

Last edited by mynis01 (2013-01-22 16:41:48)

#32 2013-01-22 16:53:02

ayushjsh

Um , I was thinking more along the lines of trying to reinstall grub2 on the current installed system. I partitioned already and have no extra space and was not planning to do any dual boots hmm . yeah I have head fedora do a great job with their uefi installer but the thing is i really want to stick with crunchbang ! I mean I could get all the stuff I want by installing openbox and apps there and getting rid of the clunk ... but id rathe not. Im kinda tired of distro hopping atm and want to stick to something I know I will like. Any tips on installing grub2 and configuring it to set the right boot options in a gtp partitioned disk. I have no experience in that , done it several times for mbr ones ! Will start a new thread if I still have wifi and grub issues. Cheers

#33 2013-01-22 17:05:37

ayushjsh

I had tried every possible option to install #!, I even tried the waldorf install script i=from the devel section and had some issues with it described here http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21266&p=2 If that wouldve worked it would have been fantastic , that took all the work out from me, but alas what can you do. And now I just realised that debainLive does not boot from CD so I cant boot a pendrive with it to reinstall grub sad , and doing that hack with grub copying again is tedious ! Headed to ubuntu cos I know it boots. Fingers crossed !

#34 2013-01-22 17:10:48

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Like I said though, if you install another distro side by side that has a proper UEFI implementation, os-prober should pick up #! and show it in the menu. I'm not sure if/how using GPT affects GRUB configuration, I just use grub-mkconfig to generate my grub.cfg with several GPT disks/partitions on my system and it does everything for me.

Board footer