SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-12 14:02:25

7vincent7black7

How to launch a disc manually and stuff

I didn't know what to do wtih the cd option first time I launched it in crunchbang linux a few days ago. Just started using this operating system a few days ago since my quad core win7 computer has been in the shop for almost a week. Well, now my cd is set to ignore and I cant figure out how to launch it manually or view what's in it. The media directory I'm not sure about, the flashdrive is there and all but, I would like to have an autorun dialogue box popup like in windows 7 that asks me to play it or view it like a flashdrive, which are the only two things I do with a disc. Is there a configuration file I can get that is set up like that? that would be amazing. So in summary for you.

Can you tell me how to manually launch discs, what the dvd player software is? I'm  not sure if vlc does video codecs as well as audio.

Where is the official cd/dvd rom location in the directory? I'm not too sure about  that cdrom thing in the media directory in thunar and want to double-check

How does one configure the autorun bit with inserted cd's and dvd's? Is there a way to change it to automatically run?

And if its possible, is htere a way to configure my Os to have an autorun feature like win7 that queries the user to choose how to run it instead? This is optional, but would be nice.

[ I Have No Greeting!]

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-01-13 19:08:01

I_can_see_the_light

Re: How to launch a disc manually and stuff

You can open the file manager and click Edit -> Preferences. In the dialog that opens click the Advanced tab. Under Volume management click Configure. Another dialog box opens. click the multimedia tab.

For Audio CDs, enter vlc cdda://
For DVDs, enter vlc dvd://

You can substitute vlc with gnome-mplayer if you have it installed. The discs should also be visible in the file manager, they show up in the folder list on the left for me. Are they not there on your machine?

"You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."     - Sam Levenson

#3 2013-01-14 13:35:35

7vincent7black7

I don't have it right now, but I'll find out later. I tried going in properties of the cd rom thing, but I had no clue how it was handled, haveing just come from windows 7. So yeah, I'll see about that this afternoon, thanks. smile

[ I Have No Greeting!]

#4 2013-01-15 10:54:35

7vincent7black7

There is, there's a media folder I can open on thte left, which I wasn't sure about because there is a cdrom folder with a music icon on the folder icon, then a cdrom0. And there being two cdrom icons confused me quite a bit about which one I was supposed to do I-don't-know-what with.

[ I Have No Greeting!]

Board footer