SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-14 05:26:15

HelloLion

[SOLVED-ISH] Waldorf USB Install won't mount the "cd-rom"

ORIGINAL PROBLEM

I have been trying (and failing) to install Crunchbang 11 off of a USB for a few hours and have finally reached a roadblock I can't get passed.

I used Win32Imager to put the image on a USB drive as is recommended.

When I tried to install Crunchbang 10 it could not find my Ethernet card/driver, so I looked around online and saw some posts indicating that for my mobo a installation of Crunchbang 11 might be more successful. I figured I'd give it a try, but quickly found myself stuck again. The installation starts, asks me about my language preference, then hangs up on the "cd-rom mount". After displaying nothing in the center grey box for a little while it will flash through some kind of error messages and then go back to grey. This repeats infinitely.

I saw this thread: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19316 and attempted to follow the instructions therein. I started the installer, then hit ctrl+alt+f2 to go into a different tty. When I typed in cd dists it told me it could not complete the command. I tried many variations on "cd dists" to be sure, no dice.

Probably I'm just an idiot and overlooking something silly but I'm really at a loss here and would appreciate any ideas people might have about how to make this work as i really want to try out this distro as a possible new home distro.

MY NOT PERFECT BUT WORKING FINE SOLUTION:

I used johnraff's unofficial netinstall script from this thread: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21266 to get something that while it isn't technically Waldorf, is the same in almost every regard. Absolutely love it and having no problems so far.

Last edited by HelloLion (2012-12-16 03:29:32)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-14 10:28:16

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re: [SOLVED-ISH] Waldorf USB Install won't mount the "cd-rom"

Solution :
As it's on a USB stick, we can write on the mounted disk.
I switched to another tty (ctrl+alt+f2).
What i did was just to remove the "/cdrom/dists/wheezy" zero file.
And i made a "cp -R /cdrom/dists/sid /cdrom/dists/wheezy".
Then i switched back to the graphical installer (ctrl+alt+f5) and continued the installation and everything went smoothly big_smile

You need to alter the usb file system as stated. First find out where your pendrive is mounted, type 'mount' in that terminal you changed into, look for something like /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1, see what dir it is mounted on, then (as root) 'cd' into that dir & then run the commands.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#3 2012-12-14 21:37:15

HelloLion

Back from work, trying again. Maybe I am still missing something, but when I type in 'mount' I get a list that doesn't seem to include anything like /dev/sda1 or anything. Here's what I am getting in response to the 'mount' command:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=809024k,mode=755
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)

Gonna keep trying stuff but if someone can explain what's going on I'll be ever so grateful.

#4 2012-12-14 22:53:43

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

HelloLion,

There is known "bug" in the Debian installer that is packaged with #!. There are other posts in the forum related to others having the very same issue, some able to get it to install, some not. Please look around the forum, and give the options a try.

At the moment, I don't think anyone really has a solid solution for the users trying to install from a USB, but having the "cd-rom" issue.

If you have a CD drive, you could install Statler, as it's sub-700mb.

Unfortunately, Waldorf comes in at just over 700mb, which doesn't work for those without a DVD drive, and "may" not work even for those with a USB drive install.

Best of luck.

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2012-12-14 22:56:35)

#5 2012-12-14 23:01:01

HelloLion

Thanks for the response, DapperMe, I am aware of the bug, and I've seen some descriptions of how to fix it, I just haven't been able to make it any of those work for me yet, and I'm hoping still that it's just a matter of not quite knowing what to do.

I do not have a CD or DVD drive; this computer is less than a year old and when I built it I opted not to get one since I don't use them pretty much ever.

I may try to install Statler again, but it didn't agree with my hardware and, from what I've read, Waldorf will agree with my newer hardware better, so I'm pretty determined to make this work somehow.

Thanks for the input, hopefully something will break open on this issue soon.

#6 2012-12-14 23:07:21

pidsley
Window Mangler

Do you have any way to use "dd" (in Linux) to create the USB stick, or are you limited to what you can use from Windows?

What is the output of the "lsblk" command, at the same point where you posted the output of "mount" above?

And what is the output of "ls /cdrom/dists" at the same point?

This is fixable.

Last edited by pidsley (2012-12-14 23:11:35)

#7 2012-12-14 23:07:30

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

Great attitude & wishing you the best!

If you're successful, please don't hesitate to post a solution that helped you.

Take care.

smile

#8 2012-12-14 23:27:53

HelloLion

Thanks for the response Pidsley, and for saying it's fixable! I cannot use dd in linux without having a working linux distro on here (had Fedora, installed Mint over it, but Mint broke on install so...whatever). If I can fix this problem by installing a linux distro and making the flash drive I will try it, but I'll need to get another distro working to do that so I'd prefer not to.

lsblk returns:

-/bin/sh: lsblk: not found

Not sure what to make of that.

ls /cdrom/dists returns:

ls: /cdrom/dists: No such file or directory

I get the feeling I'm doing something very wrong.

DapperMe, thanks for the encouragement. When this gets fixed I will definitely be sharing however it works!

#9 2012-12-14 23:44:22

pidsley
Window Mangler

Did you check the md5sum of the iso file after you downloaded it? If you did not, please check it now. If you did, and the md5sum is ok, please use Win32Imager to copy the iso to the USB stick again. Then repeat the install process.

#10 2012-12-15 00:00:17

HelloLion

Sorry for my continued ineptitude, but how do I check the md5sum?

#11 2012-12-15 00:30:46

pidsley
Window Mangler

No problem. It's mentioned in that thread you referenced at the beginning, so I thought you knew. http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 45#p213745

You can see the correct md5sums on the download page for the iso you are using. For 64-bit, it's 40afe1aafef2c82c641d238dded9fe74

(edit) I'm not sure this works in Windows. If it does not, you may need to search the web for "check md5sum in Windows" or go here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/ans … in_Windows and try one of the listed answers.

if you downloaded the iso using bit torrent, you don't need to check the md5sum.

(edit2) -- DapperMe17 knows much more about checking md5sums in Windows -- take his advice :-)

Last edited by pidsley (2012-12-15 00:38:57)

#12 2012-12-15 00:34:53

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

HelloLion,

If you've downloaded the Waldorf .iso on a Windows machine... it would be easiest to try pidsley's method of burning with Win32Imager first. Try to install, and if success, there's no need to do the following.

If you're on Win, download MD5Summer from here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/md5summer/) and install it. Once installed, you should be able to "right click" on the Waldorf .iso file, and get an option to "check the md5sum". That will spit out a long key, which you will compare to the "md5sum" on the Crunchbang Waldorf download page. 

If your checking the md5 from a Linux box, then you open a terminal window, then type md5sum /the/link/to/your/.iso and hist enter. (There is one space after md5sum and you would replace the "/link/to/your/.iso" with the actual path to your downloaded Waldorf .iso file (which is normally downloaded to your downloads folder).

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2012-12-15 00:35:40)

#13 2012-12-15 02:47:05

HelloLion

I tried Win32Imager first, and have tried it once since then.

I downloaded the torrent, so that kind of rules out the md5sum thing (but I did check, it's a match).

Whew, this is a pickle!

#14 2012-12-15 03:01:30

pidsley
Window Mangler

Yes, it is a pickle. Sorry you're having so much trouble. There are other methods for creating USB sticks in Windows. See this topic in the Arch wiki for more information (ignore the dire warnings about unetbootin -- #! does not use syslinux, so this warning applies only to Arch). https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … On_Windows

Perhaps a better way at this point is to boot a smaller Linux distro "live" and then use it to create a #! install stick with "dd" -- having a USB stick with SystemRescueCD on it is always a good idea, just in case you need to boot a live rescue system. Do you have a spare USB stick (in addition to the one you are trying to use to install #!)? If you do, try installing SystemRescueCD on it; and then boot SystemRescueCD and use it to "dd" the #! iso (you don't have to install SystemrescueCD, it's designed to be run from a USB stick or CD). http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu … om_Windows

I hope someone who knows more about installing #! comes across this topic -- I have never installed #! from Windows, and never actually had this "cdrom not found" problem.

And if you want to try another Debian-based distro to see if it is easier to install from Windows, I can give you some recommendations... :-)

I have not given up yet, but it's time for me to sleep...

Last edited by pidsley (2012-12-15 03:11:58)

#15 2012-12-15 05:37:46

HelloLion

I have a second flash drive available so I'll try that tomorrow. In general I'm good with computers (I work with computers a lot at my jobs) but this has really made me feel like an idiot.

I appreciate your diligence in trying to help, and I will gladly take recommendations for other Debian based distros (or non-Debian based). Here's my general list of desires: Must be fairly lightweight but software and feature rich where it counts. Must be good for tweaking/learning the insides of but I'd prefer something that isn't impossible either. I also want a distro that is really beautiful.

You can probably see why from that description I'm so set on #! wink

#16 2012-12-15 12:02:20

pidsley
Window Mangler

OK, give the second-distro method a try. You're not an idiot -- this is a known bug, and I'm not sure why the recommended workarounds aren't working for you. If you want to check out another Debian-based distro, look here: http://linuxbbq.org/ and here: http://linuxbbq.org/editions.html. There are several "spins" including one designed as a lightweight base for people to customize. If you have any questions, the forum is here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/index.php.

#17 2012-12-15 15:19:50

HelloLion

Okay, in a while going to install Linux BBQ (hopefully, unless I'm not allowed to install that one either wink ) and then use it to "dd" #!. If that doesn't work, then at least I'll have BBQ installed, eh?

#18 2012-12-16 03:20:45

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

If you'd like to try something other than Debian, you could consider looking at Bridge Linux or Zenwalk.

#19 2012-12-16 03:27:36

HelloLion

Feeling a little dejected, I went down the road of trying to install something else when suddenly I ran across this thread: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21266

Lo and behold, I was able to use the unofficial netinstall script to build what is essentially #! Waldorf on my computer! I am posting right now from google chrome in #! and I am absolutely loving it!

Thanks to everyone who contributed advice and support smile

#20 2012-12-26 07:48:08

Fred111

I have been trying (and failing) to install Crunchbang 11 off of a USB for a few hours and have finally reached a roadblock I can't get passed.I used Win32Imager to put the image on a USB drive as is recommended.When I tried to install Crunchbang 10 it could not find my Ethernet card/driver, so I looked around online and saw some posts indicating that for my mobo a installation of Crunchbang 11 might be more successful. I figured I'd give it a try, but quickly found myself stuck again.

Last edited by Fred111 (2013-02-20 11:46:25)

Board footer