SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-14 02:59:19

viking78

Greetings from new Crunchbanger in Norway

Hello you nearly 9000 members of this forum, I'd like to make a short introduction of my way to Linux and now Crunchbang. I started to use Linux as my main OS back in 2008 (ubuntu 8.04), before that I'd always used Windows (except DOS back in early days and a few hours trying Ubuntu 6.04 in 2006 as a live-os.)
Because I don't play games on my computer the decision wasn't that hard, and when it was done the only thing I could think of was why I didn't do it when Vista arrived. Or even earlier than that, but what eaten is eaten, done is done, now carry on...Here I am.

I have a main computer currently running Linux Mint Debian Edition, and has running last couple of years.
I also have a slower laptop where LMDE also works as well, here I should mention I'm thinking of change. But are not in a hurry so no problem. But then I have an older computer. AMD2100, 512 RAM, are not so much power these days it used to be. But the computer works fine as a file/backup-server and still running, but the OS currently installed with xfce are slowing it down just enough that I've finally decided to change it. After trying lots of different distro's in virtualbox, I finally came over Crunchbang from distrowatch, so it seems like I've found the OS this old machine will run on.

I've downloaded the Crunchbang10-iso, the new installation will take place some time in the midwinter-celebration.
Meanwhile I'll still update and use my virtual image, and find answers like when is 11 stable out and a few other questions I may have. 

So there it was, so until I see you again, happy Krampus!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-12-14 03:32:44

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Greetings from new Crunchbanger in Norway

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community viking78, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-12-14 06:22:17

viking78

Thanks!

Now I've downloaded & installed CrunchBang 11, first impression after a few minutes is that it seems exactly the same as 10, but uses 75MB of RAM, while 10 uses 50MB with the same applications installed, updated and at fresh boot.  Maybe I'm missing something here as a new user, it isn't ment to whine I'd just wanted to find out why it is so? I was sure I'd install the 11-testing (and go stable after release) instead of 10, now I'm not so sure anymore. More to read.

But I also want to say that the openbox-desktop have been a pleasant first-meeting, and CrunchBang as well, like the option to uninstall everything that I'll not use (on that current computer), also like the gtk+ packages as I've always used Gnome on all computers, and stable-repo is just what I was looking for. Guess this can be fun.

#4 2012-12-14 10:13:04

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard viking78.

For a file server, you don't need X running, so you could just start it up into the commandline interface, that would save a few meg of ram.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#5 2012-12-15 02:08:05

viking78

@fatmac - Yes I know I don't need it, only thing is that a GUI can be nice. Remember the ms-dos times, like 4.11,5.0 and 6.0 beta, and really don't miss it so much tongue Also (for now) I haven't been 'stable' enough when it came to operate everything without any desktop installed.
Well, maybe next time, learning every day as long as I use the terminal, and some things I prefer to do there. But you have a good point, meanwhile I guess it's gonna be #!
BTW just realized that If you ment running #! without x I misunderstood, anyway for the moment it's gonna be #! w/GUI, maybe later I'll drop x.

#6 2012-12-15 06:16:49

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #!  smile

I've used LMDE in the past, too, but with their choice to drop the Xfce version, less to pull me back in that direction. Still, nice place.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#7 2012-12-19 01:16:44

viking78

Ok, I've hardly used anything else than Gnome (now 3) on a Debian-based distro all the way.
Guess LMDE isn't one of the mayor distros, and if there is a problem I think it may be all those different versions, mate, cinnamon, Kde, gnome and xfce, then a 32 & 64 bit release of all? I'm not an expert but for me it seems like a lot to do and can't go on anymore.
Xfce are as you say soon history, same with the mate-fork.
BTW the #! image has already freezed once after a few updates and reboots in vm.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, thanks all of you who had welcomed me, appreaciated it and very nice for the forum-users to do so keep up the good work!

Last edited by viking78 (2012-12-19 01:22:06)

Board footer