SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-11 00:14:46

UncleDoug

Hi, Folks

I'm Doug, living these days on the edge of San Francisco Bay.

I've been a Linux user and sometime sysadmin since 1994 (commercial Unix earlier),  Linux-only on almost all my personal systems since 1998.

I've been watching the junkification and corporatization of Linux distros, in horror, for a long time.  I'm now at a point where I just want simple and solid.  I definitely don't need help making Linux installations complex and confusing -- I've been doing it all by myself for years.  ;^)

I remember thinking Openbox was pretty cool the first time I played with it, and the latest incarnation seems very slick, indeed.  I like distros that stay close to Debian in most things.

And, you guys have been keeping this distro together for a few years, so it ought  to be safe for an old *nix hippie to play with!

Thanks for the opportunity!

~Doug

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-11 00:21:07

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Re: Hi, Folks

Welcome, we have a resident problem solver who is a retired sysadmin, so you'll find some common ground.

#3 2012-12-11 06:18:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Welcome, UncleDoug!  Enjoy your stay here.

As a resident of Frisco, you may know (or at least, may have heard of) my pal Megan Slankard.  (Sorry to pimp for her in your intro thread, but as long-time members here know, I try to drop her name whenever I get an excuse to do so.)  She's one of those hipsters that use OS X PCs and iOS iToys, but I try not to hold that against her. devil  We also have several forum members in Northern Cali and the northwest, including fellow moderator lcafiero.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2012-12-11 06:30:48

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Yes, pvsage is right, UncleDoug -- I'm just down the coast from you in Santa Cruz (oh, and pvsage, don't call it "Frisco" -- San Franciscans really hate that smile ). Also, I say this to all the Californians -- if you're going to the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE 11X) in February, we're going to have a booth and probably a Birds of a Feather meeting as well. If you're attending, join us.

Oh, and welcome to CrunchBang!

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#5 2012-12-11 06:39:16

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Sorry about that, Larry; I coulda sworn I occasionally heard residents refer to it as "Frisco" back when I was stationed at the Presidio. hmm  Didn't realize it's considered a slight now. ops

#6 2012-12-11 06:48:23

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Yeah -- I'm not from there originally, but I said it once when I first moved there (in '87) and almost got beaten up for it. Long story. Is that your take, UncleDoug?

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

#7 2012-12-11 10:00:42

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Welcome aboard UncleDoug.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#8 2012-12-11 17:59:25

UncleDoug

Thanks for the friendly welcome, everyone!

I'm afraid it's true:  "Frisco" is simply not used here and is deeply resented.  I think you'd have to be in a pretty rough part of town to be physically assaulted over it, but hundreds of thousands of locals are ready to tell you not to use the term.

Now, off to tinker with config files. . .

#9 2012-12-11 18:18:09

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Actually, UncleDoug, if you want the tl:dr version, it started out as a joke taken too far by an inebriated acquaintance. To say the least, it didn't come to fisticuffs, but thanks for confirming San Franciscans are a tad touchy about that. I should also mention that I'm a rabid, dyed-in-the-wool Giants fan who lives and dies with the Orange and Black. smile

#10 2012-12-11 20:22:54

UncleDoug

lcafiero wrote:

I should also mention that I'm a rabid, dyed-in-the-wool Giants fan who lives and dies with the Orange and Black. smile

In that case, you will be forgiven almost any indiscretion and always welcomed here as a family member.  We're just a trifle crazy about our baseball team.  ;^)

#11 2012-12-13 23:06:43

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community UncleDoug, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#12 2012-12-14 05:44:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

UncleDoug wrote:
lcafiero wrote:

I should also mention that I'm a rabid, dyed-in-the-wool Giants fan who lives and dies with the Orange and Black. smile

In that case, you will be forgiven almost any indiscretion and always welcomed here as a family member.  We're just a trifle crazy about our baseball team.  ;^)

In the past, Megan has claimed that she's not a sports fan (one of her songs was inspired by a crowd cheering for a hockey game during one of her early shows), but she's recently insisting that she's been a baseball fan most of her life.

#13 2012-12-14 07:46:25

Drakken

Outstanding. And here I thought that being out in the backwoods of Solano County California, I was the lone linux user in the near vicinity. smile Now if only there was a lug closer than San-Fran or Sac. wink At any rate. Welcome Uncle Doug to #!.

#14 2012-12-15 05:37:23

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #!  smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer