SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1901 2012-12-01 01:02:09

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

^ Trying to finagle another partition to play with Livearp right now...

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

Be excellent to each other!

#1902 2012-12-01 01:07:13

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

fog wrote:

Kde/Debian/Jan 2005 (in the same disk Suse and Fedora) and Kubuntu:
http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/debian7.jpg  http://en.zimagez.com/miniature/screenshot4da.jpg

Ah man, there was nothing as good as KDE 3 in its day. I first saw it on a friend's Suse circa 2005 and was blown away.

#1903 2012-12-01 01:08:49

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
On Mandrake, no less!

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#1904 2012-12-01 02:07:52

ew
#! Die Hard

arpinux wrote:

thx for testing smile hope you'll find some good 'surprises' .. don't hésitate to report bugs/give ideas on the contact page or by mail.

Well, lol. Maybe I shouldn`t have tried livarp, because it`s probably a bit beyond my skill-level. Almost everything there is new to me, but maybe that`s a good thing. I`m learning new things. My experience with livarp so far, is the following: The installation was fine. I ran into a couple of issues that I sometimes encounter with debian-installs. The first issue I encountered was the configuration of network, where I had to supply a driver trough removable media. Well, no big deal, that one I managed to fix. Then I got some problems configuring the network, but when i did it manually, it went trough just fine. Then I got some issues with finding Debian Mirrors, and it took a while before I figured out that I could bypass that one.

Well, the rest of the installation went just fine. Added a entry for it in my Grub, and it booted just fine. Logged in with my username and password, only to find out that I had insuffient permissions to get me on wifi and stuff. Well, then I tried to add myself to the sudoers file, but somehow ended up in a situasion where I was told that I had two sudoer`s files, one in swap.  Somehow I must have messed up my sudoers file. The good thing is that I`m now able to connect trough wifi, and are posting from livarp right now....

I like everything I see, and here is a lot of exiting stuff for me to try, but before I go any further; I`m a bit worried about my sudoers file.
When I run VISUDO as root, it looks like this

# /etc/sudoers

Defaults env_reset

# User privilege specification
root     ALL=(ALL) ALL

#Allow members of Sudo etc..etc...
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL

#includedir  /etc/sudoers.d
ew   ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown,  /sbin/reboot

I cant copy from terminal yet, so I only wrote the parts with something in it. My issue with this is that the file doesn`t come with any options to do anything, and it`s labeled "/etc/sudoers.tmp" . No write option, no nothing, not even exit... Is there any way to sort out the mess that I`ve created with this, or is it easier to just reinstall livarp?

EDIT: I just reinstalled livarp, and I`m going to boot it for the first time now. Hopefully I will not mess it up this time:)

Last edited by ew (2012-12-01 02:45:43)

- apt-mark hold account

#1905 2012-12-01 02:19:59

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

hi ew,
when you run visudo, it always edit sudoers.tmp, then edit the master file.
but you can run
$ su
$ password:
# vim /etc/sudoers

but i don't think your sudoers file is wrong..

#1906 2012-12-01 03:47:14

ew
#! Die Hard

arpinux wrote:

hi ew,
when you run visudo, it always edit sudoers.tmp, then edit the master file.
but you can run
$ su
$ password:
# vim /etc/sudoers

but i don't think your sudoers file is wrong..

Hi. I reinstalled it, and wasn`t able to get wifi to work at first. But then I logged out, and logged in again, and then it automatically found my network, and I was able to enter my wifi password and a password for the keyring... I`m online now in fluxbox-session, and everything is looking good. Now it`s bedtime, and tomrorrow  I will test it a lot. I haven`t tried anything here, so I`m pretty exited...

One question though. Everything seems to work fine now, and I probably don`t have to edit sudoers. But I`m a bit puzzled that I`m not provided with the write-out and append options. Not even exit. As I played around with Visudo I got the message that I couldn`t edit anything, because "modifyable is off"....

Anyway, It`s looking good. I will keep it on this pc for a long time, because with this one I can learn alot about things that are new for me. I haven`t tried any of the WM`s included. I guess your distro will keep me occupied for months:)

Edit: I`ve started playinga ltlle with this distro.. Started with Fluxbox and are trying to customize it. Added a few of my favourite-apps, figured out how to work them into the menus, and everything is very nice indeed. Just one question, by default the synaptic-background is very dark, with a relatively dark font. What settings is controlling this. I have tried different fluxbox-styles, and there are many cool ones, but it doesn`t change the synaptic background and font... In Xubuntu I encountered a simmular problem with Ubuntu Software Center, and solved it by editing /usr/share/software-center/ui/gtk3/css/softwarecenter.css, but I`m not sure where I can do the same for synaptic...

Last edited by ew (2012-12-01 22:27:05)

- apt-mark hold account

#1907 2012-12-02 19:04:40

intoCB
Scatweasel

Really liking Mageia 2 right now (with Gnome 3, not KDE).

It's missing some packages - cherrytree, kazam, frogatto - but some things it does really well and smoothly for beginners. Like setting up a LAMP with Drupal or WordPress. Easy as pie and with all the permissions set up correctly too.

People argue about whether its position on Distrowatch is justified and whether it is a reflection of anything more meaningful than hits on pages. But still, if I knew someone who wanted to start using Linux and I had to set up a PC for them, I'd probably put Mageia on it rather than Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

#1908 2012-12-02 20:49:09

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

I wanted to go with LiveArp but with it being based on squeeze it is too much of a hassle to bring it to my preferred platform of Sid

I decided to try aptosid again which is proudly based on Debian Sid... It is a very basic setup out of the box, not much more than what a debian netinstall is but of course you get the aptosid kernel, tools and scripts.

Aptosid with my setup including the Xfce 4.10 setup from Siduction

screenshot-12022012-024727pm.php

Next up Siduction!

#1909 2012-12-02 21:07:30

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

I wanted to go with LiveArp but with it being based on squeeze it is too much of a hassle to bring it to my preferred platform of Sid

I fully understand. But for me as a newbie who never have tried fluxbox, pekwm and the other WM`s included, it`s kind of nice to test and learn about them in a stable enviroment... If something breaks, then I know that it`s me who is to blame, and not Sid...

- apt-mark hold account

#1910 2012-12-02 21:21:53

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Just do not believe everything you hear about sid being dangerous to your health and well being!  wink

#1911 2012-12-02 23:31:54

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

^ Just do not believe everything you hear about sid being dangerous to your health and well being!  wink

Nope. When I see how Stable Debian testing is, then I`m not afraid to try unstable either. But as I take my first steps with new WM`s, then I`m 100% focused on trying to understand and learn those WM`s, and therefore I don`t care if it`s squeese, wheezy or sid. I would have prefered it to at least be wheezy, but anyway, it`s a great distro where I can learn new wm`s, with configured sessions, all ready to test:)

When will there be a Crunchbang Sid-version? I don`t know what`s up with Debian. I guess they are conservative, but surely Wheezy should be ready to go stable soon, and thereby Waldorf going stable, so we can get a new testing Crunchbang with Sid... I don`t know if Debian is ready, but Waldorf seems ready to be stamped "Stable".

Last edited by ew (2012-12-02 23:32:29)

- apt-mark hold account

#1912 2012-12-02 23:44:24

saneks
#! Die Hard

hello from planet mint 14. nice view from around here.

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#1913 2012-12-03 13:51:33

hinto
#! Windbag

Isn't LinuxBBQ based on SID?
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#1914 2012-12-03 14:57:53

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^ Yes, it is.

#1915 2012-12-03 15:26:22

hinto
#! Windbag

So now I have to ask... how is LinuxBBQ different from siduction, aptosid, and semplice (besides the baconator), or vice versa?
-Hinto

#1916 2012-12-03 15:36:34

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

The key point is the Baconator. big_smile
LinuxBBQ gives you a base system, then you build from it what you want. Most of the spins are bare metal with BBQ tools.

But let Bacon speak later or just look here.

#1917 2012-12-03 15:41:39

hinto
#! Windbag

^I've read it wink Hence my questions wink
I started way back when Kanotix was based on SID, so SID doesn't scare me;)
Just wondering about any differences... like siduction has towo's kernel, which performs well, and in some case seems to perform better than the liquorix (for vm hosting).
-H

#1918 2012-12-03 16:40:52

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

hinto wrote:

...like siduction has towo's kernel, which performs well, and in some case seems to perform better than the liquorix (for vm hosting).

BBQ uses Siduction's kernel for the very same reasons. Xfce 4.10 is taken from Siduction as well. Some things e.g. Siduction has full KDE, BBQ has just a basic and very minimal KDE spin. BBQ is the only Sid based system offering Gnome 3 AFAIK.
But to be honest, I never used Siduction, so I cannot compare very well.

#1919 2012-12-03 16:49:56

ew
#! Die Hard

hinto wrote:

Isn't LinuxBBQ based on SID?
-Hinto

Yes. Already tried 3-4 BBQ-distros.

- apt-mark hold account

#1920 2012-12-03 17:12:24

hinto
#! Windbag

@ivanovnegro: just what I was looking for. Thanks.
-H

Last edited by hinto (2012-12-03 17:13:11)

#1921 2012-12-03 17:49:50

junkie
#! Junkie

I think they look pretty different/cool too.

Much to choose from and there are community config contributions.

I like the whole tobaccy spittin' bbq vibe of the place.

BBQ Sidwich devil

Last edited by junkie (2012-12-03 17:55:09)

#1922 2012-12-03 18:01:22

hinto
#! Windbag

^Look is easily changeable.
The under pinnings are a bit different.
-Hinto

#1923 2012-12-03 18:03:35

junkie
#! Junkie

for me looks are important
- cool

#1924 2012-12-03 18:04:23

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Thanks to Ivan, the Minister of Propaganda smile

@Hinto: to answer briefly without 'hijacking' the hopper's thread - key differences are that the spins come with zsh (with grml's huge configuration file) for bash, a different installer, our own realtime-kernel for 64bit (optional), systemd for sysvinit, an own set of BBQ tools like an upgrade warnings notifier, Roaster browser and the Cookbook manual, and no locales except en_US. Some other minor tweaks. The aim is to provide a minimal base on which you apt-get your applications instead of downloading the same old 'default apps' that are packaged in 'the big distros' (GIMP, LibreOffice, ...) again and again. Just as comparison, the XFCE spin weighs 400MB, Openbox is somewhere are 396MB. Siduction's no-X is ~320MB, BBQ weighs around 235. Other than that, desktop-wise there's a MATE base system, GNOME3 as ivanov already wrote; some special editions like "Rocks" (audio home studio), "Stud" (edition for students), "Latex" (contains the fontsetting apps) or "Burgoo" (DOSbox on a stick with a bunch of games), this month follows "Milf" with CDE (the old Unix desktop env.) and a CPC emulator on a stick with 2966 games.

About kernels:

Towo's kernel is perfect for virtualizations, that's why I prefer it over slh's (not that aptosid's kernel is bad or something; it's really just about workflow or usage). Liquorix might be good for other tasks, personally I didn't have 'excellent' performance with it, though compared to the latest Debian stock kernel (3.2.xx) it shines! Still, I found Ikey's 3.0.0 kernel brilliant. He seems to have removed all unneeded crap (debugging?) from it.

Be excellent to each other!

#1925 2012-12-03 18:12:35

hinto
#! Windbag

^Nice.  Thanks.
-Hinto

Board footer