SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-29 03:14:11

schwim
#! Die Hard

Browser losing focus to desktop switcher

Hi there everyone!

CB 11 in a VBox VM

I'm having an issue.  While using the mousewheel to scroll through a page in Iceweasel, it will suddenly begin switching between virtual desktops.  If I stop rolling the mousewheel and then resume, it will sometimes operate on the browser and sometimes continue switching desktops.  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

Is there something I can do besides changing the DE switcher's use of the mousewheel?  Has anyone else had this issue?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-29 03:25:19

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Re: Browser losing focus to desktop switcher

The answer is most likely in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. This is where all keyboard and mouse bindings, among other options, are set in openbox. Unfortunately I can't tell you what lines need to be removed since I don't have a copy of the default #! rc.xml handy, but it's probably under mouse bindings and probably has the words "mouse" or "wheel" in it somewhere.

#3 2012-11-30 19:08:54

schwim
#! Die Hard

I can't find it anywhere in that file.  A lot of clicks and left, middle and right, but no mention of wheel, scroll or roll.

Any other suggestions would be mighty welcome!

#4 2012-11-30 19:17:49

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

I think you can find something in obconf. But it seems like it's a mouse grabbing issue related to the WM. On a bare-metal install, you only interact with the desktop in the "reserved area", which is 1px on the top of the screen by default.

Last edited by el_koraco (2012-11-30 19:19:02)

#5 2012-12-01 12:03:59

schwim
#! Die Hard

el_koraco wrote:

On a bare-metal install, you only interact with the desktop in the "reserved area", which is 1px on the top of the screen by default.

this is a brand new install on a brand new machine.  I'm not sure the cause, but there's definitely something wrong.  When I drag a window(usually, I push it up against the left uppper corner, then expand to conky), it begins jumping around the screen. As well, I've begun to notice that it sometimes displays the left-handle adjustment mouse icon sometimes when it's not over the left handle, but right of it.  It's as if it's not registering where the mouse is correctly intermittently.

I've had to start using another OS on this machine until I find out the reason, so hopefully I'll stumble across something.

#6 2012-12-01 12:41:47

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Well, is it in a virtual machine or a full install? You said vbox in the OP.

#7 2012-12-01 14:57:49

schwim
#! Die Hard

Sorry, I thought you meant non-modified.

#8 2012-12-01 15:10:40

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Nup, "bare metal" is slang for actual hardware as opposed to a VM. My guess is there is some problem with the mouse grabbing section of Vbox, it's probably misinterpreting gestures, because there are several abstraction layers when it comes to mouse gestures, from the host, to Vbox, to X, to openbox. As far as I can remmeber, there are mouse grabbing options in the Vbox GUI. Maybe you can find something there. A wordaround might be disabling mouse stuff either through obconf (I think that's called configuration editor in the menu) or rc.xml. I'm mostly shooting blind as you see, I haven't used openbox in a while, and Vbox in forever.

Board footer