SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-13 19:33:16

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

The Firefox Lover's Mega Thread

Nov 24 2012 Added some paragraphs.
Nov 26 2012 Added a little collection of addons and some important links.
Feb 19 2013 PDF reader enabled by default with version 19.
March 3 2013 Download button enabled by default in version 20.
April 17 2013 New link for 64 bit version.

Somehow I see always threads popping up how to install the real Firefox on Debian/#!. And also all the things you need to make the browser more usable on our platform. I will try to cover the most important parts we need to make the real Firefox the best browser on our OS of choice.
I made some how-to's spread in some forums that I will try to collect and to post them all here for my own reference and hopefully to the benefit of the community.

Side note: Of course the same procedure will take effect if you choose any of the Firefox versions
(Release/Beta/Aurora/Nightly).

Installing Firefox in Debian

If you think Iceweasel is something else, runs slow or you simply prefer the Fox, this how-to is for you.
There are many ways to accomplish the same but I will focus how I solved the problem for me.

I prefer Firefox, period. I am always up-to-date, free of crazy Debian patches and do not care anymore about Debian Mozilla, if you do, then you could take what you want from there. Just have in mind, you are never stuck with a too old version of Fox/Weasel on Debian, if somebody tells you that, send Black Ivan. Even if you choose the version in Stable (actually not conform with upstream anymore), it gets all security updates, of course only from Debian, that is where the patch power comes.
At least I recommend to use Icefox from the Debian repo (Debian Mozilla included) or installing it manually but not taking it from PPAs, Linux Mint, other distros or otherwise obscure sources. There is no need for that and it will save you headaches and security issues.

Let's begin

First remove Iceweasel if you had it installed.

Disclaimer: Even if Iceweasel should be the same, no real support will be given for the Debian version of Firefox here. So, do yourself a favor and remove it. devil

Download the newest version from Firefox from their official homepage for your system and language. If you need 64 bit, here. Unpack it into your home folder.
Basically that is all, you can now start the Firefox executable from the directory:

~/firefox

But we want to make Firefox also the default browser and use it for everything instead of Iceweasel or something else, maybe also put it in the menu.
We will use the update-alternatives from Debian to do that. As root:

update-alternatives --install  /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /home/youruser/firefox/firefox 100   

That's it.

Now test if it is the default browser, as root:

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser 

Side note: You can apply the same procedure to Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

Maintenance updates for Flash (Debian specific)

I know Flash is evil and everything and by now I use more html5 (actually I do not use Flash at all) but some people just want to use it or need it. Have in mind that Flash for Linux is discontinued. You will just recieve maintenance updates.
This part describes how to stay current with the latest Linux version of Flash on Debian, important if you use Iceweasel/Firefox, Chromium and many other compatible browers. If you have Chrome you are a lucky man/woman.

Let's begin:

If you have Gnash somehow on your system because it came by default with your Debian installation, remove it.
I assume you have added the non-free repo to your Debian install to be able to install the Flash package:

apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

That should be all. Now you can use Flash. There is only one downside, you have to track updates by yourself. Though that is easy. As root or sudo:

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

That's it. As I am on Sid I use this command once per week.
I would suggest to make an alias in your ~/.bashrc. For example, I use:

alias fl='sudo update-flashplugin-nonfree --install'

With that there is no need to hunt the web for the Flash plugin e.g. on Adobe's site or to use some obscure third party repositories.

Side note: If you use Debian Multimedia with Iceweasel, you could grab the Flash plugin for Iceweasel from there and it will autoupdate with regular dist-upgrades. It is called:

flashplayer-mozilla

But only choose one of the two mentioned plugins.

Another side note: If you want to use only HTML5 for Youtube videos, you have to participate on the HTML5 test. Enable it from this site. To have it permanently enabled you have to save your cookies for this page.

Hidden Firefox features

The newest versions of the Fox have some nifty useful features that are still experimental but perfectly usable. I will list/describe some of them or better said just tell you how to enable them. Consider adding some of them too if you find them useful.

We will play with the inner system of the Fox, so be careful what you do. Type in the address bar:

about:config

Accept that you will be careful if you run it for the first time.

1. Download button:

Very useful feature for your downloads instead of the new window that opens everytime you perform a download with the Fox, especially useful on tilers. Just type this in the config bar after you have opened about:config:

browser.download.useToolkitUI

Just a double click and it will be set to false. Enjoy the new download button. smile

2. Firefox Preferences to open in a new tab

You know this, whenever you open the Preferences dialog from the Fox it opens again in a new window but we want to open it in a new tab, same advantages as above apply to this too.

Type this in the config bar:

browser.preferences.inContent

Double click and it will be set to true. Enjoy the new preferences dialog. smile

3. Integrated PDF reader (enabled by default with version 19)

Yes, you heard right. You do not need Chrome, you do not need any addons, no KDE plugins etc. It works natively in Firefox, it is just disabled at the moment.

pdfjs.disabled

Double click and it will be set to false.
Go to the Firefox preferences, Applications, type PDF into the search bar, choose 'Preview in Firefox'. Enjoy the native PDF viewer. smile

4. Click to play

You want to see Flash content or some other stuff when you decide if you want and when.

plugins.click_to_play

Double click and it will be set to true. Enjoy that Flash does not jump into your face. smile

All features we just enabled are considered still experimental by Mozilla, so, do not expect them to be 100% stable, so if your machine explodes or your Fox eats your cat, you are now warned. Though, all the things work perfectly and without any issue on my machine.

Running multiple versions of Firefox

CBizgreat! speaks.

I hope you find it useful. If you have suggestions, do not hesitate to post them. As usual, have fun!

Must have Firefox addons after fresh install

Adblock Plus:

Of course to block all kinds of ads.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … lock-plus/

Flash Video Downloader:

I do not use Flash and sometimes the CLI apps I use for it are too tedious. Anyway, if it is a larger video I want to watch it in my preferred video player, so I try to download it in the best quality possible. This addon allows exactly this. There are some similar but I like this one.

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a … r-youtube/

RSS Icon In Awesomebar:

If you prefer to reed feeds from within the browser, I find this addon very useful. You can use it with the Google Reader when you click on the icon if feeds are available on a web site.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo … awesombar/

Additional Firefox addons I recommend

Vimperator or Pentadactyl

If you are a minimalist and like to use just your keyboard even for browsing the web, this is for you, it is just awesome! Useful if you are on a minimal window manager for example that is totally keyboard driven. You have to decide for yourself which one you prefer. Both are equally high quality.

http://www.vimperator.org/
http://5digits.org/pentadactyl/

Stylish

If you want to modify the looks of sites and the browser. This one is very useful. Choose a different style or make your own. Very nice if Firefox ignores your default theme settings for example.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … src=search

Forecast Fox Weather

I like this one for weather forecasts even though it is a bit heavy but also very customizable. So, if you do not use weather applets, conky or similar and need some weather infos, I can recommend it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … src=search

Side note: I use just few addons as you can see. The list could be unlimited. So, that's it. But regardless, if you think I missed some of really special addons, mention them and I will maybe add them to the list.

Some important links for further information

Search Bar: Add/remove/adjust your search engines and use keywords for faster access.

Use App Tabs to always have your favorite sites at your finger tips.

Sync your Firefox profile on different machines and even your mobile phone with all your bookmarks and settings.

Try to use the keyboard to access some basic Firefox functionality.

Firefox FTW!

Firefox sources

Home page
Support forum
Blog

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2013-05-27 16:31:01)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-13 19:42:19

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: The Firefox Lover's Mega Thread

Nice write up and How To  cool

I am curios though as to how the weasel is so different than FF when it is loudly shouted everywhere that the only differences are branding?

I use the weasel Aurora and as I understand it I may be no more than a week behind anything FF Aurora due to packaging. 

I have tested both side by side and just do not see any differences. Enlighten me Black Ivan with your mastery on the subject.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-11-13 19:57:05

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

I know, I know, and you are right, Weasel is Fox or the other way they say. But in my case I decided to use Firefox because I think it is easier for me to maintain it or better said to let maintain Firefox the updating for me. It is just a personal preference. I had just too many problems to catch up with how and when Debian Unstable decides to manage new Iceweasel releases based on Firefox. I had the regular version, I had it from backports, from the Debian Mozilla repo, basically I jumped from one repo to the other. Maybe it was just me.  smile
On Sid the version is old, Debian Mozilla suggests to use Experimental and sometimes its own repo and the newest version is in Experimental but then, you won't believe it, but I have not Experimental in my sources and do not need it, at least I think.  cool

#4 2012-11-13 20:32:28

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Thanks ivanovnegro.

I went through these settings in my version of Weasel (18.0a2 (2012-11-09) to check that they worked or were in play.

1) I already knew about and disabled it as I did not like how it runs and sits on the layout I use.  I also use a plugin that I like for downloads called Download Statusbar

2) I enabled this and find it a better way for preferences to open.  I was not aware of this one, thank you!

3) The integrated PDF was already set up to run within the Weasel.

4) The flash inhibitor works perfectly, allowing me to choose when to run flash. Thank you!

A question, I have used a specific flash plugin (Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 file libflashplayer.so) that has seemed to work better than most.  With the flashplugin-nonfree or the flashplayer-mozilla from Multimedia, this is the same file and process but will grab the latest, is that correct?

Thanks for all your help on this...

VSIDO | SolusOS

#5 2012-11-13 20:54:04

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

I spoke about the regular stable release, at the moment 16.0.2, so that some features are already present in Aurora and the addon you use for downloads is also a good one, should put that in my post too. Useful addons, man, that is what I forgot, will update the how-to, how could I dare on a lover's thread.  devil

Regards your Flash question, I think you use the same plugin but just downloaded it manually from Adobe, am I right? If so, then it should be the same version. Honestly I never used it as I did not care about, so, I have no idea how you update it but I guess you have to do it also manually because you bypass the package manegment. But yes, it is the same Flash plugin you would run in Fox/Weasel, basically we have three options.

#6 2012-11-13 20:56:23

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Yes, I manually downloaded it and have used other newer ones too, but they were buggy and went back to this version.

Thanks!

VSIDO | SolusOS

#7 2012-11-14 15:09:58

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Good write up imo 2 Sir Ivan ...

Run FF kinda similar to what you're doing w some differences though. Too dang lazy to type an updated babble how to on the topic. Someone doesn't necessary HAVE to remove iceweasel. Not that I ever use it anymore really, though did install IW 16.0.2 from the experimental repo's. Gets along great with FF running from a .dot folder in /home anyway.

DammiT !!!! Now feel obligated to babble a bit more on it. Appreciate you making it clear how to add FF to path/etc ... like that. For me ... just added keyboard shorts and a right click selection in the openbox menu for it. Being a dork ... Also included it as a bash alias. So if I type "firefox" in a terminal it launches FF with the mozilla profile I want it ... told it to use.

Added this to .bashrc.

alias firefox="/firefox -P "Firefox" &exit"

Obviously the mozilla profile I'm using there is called Firefox ...

See this horrendously long babble how to for a good general idea. Works like a charm ... Someone can do it your preferred way and mine if they wish.

Both no doubt work well standalone or together anyway. I think it's a really kewl thing someone can run multiple instances or versions of FF on one OS. I mean ... if for some reason someone wanted to use an older version. Used to use Nightly, Aurora and release side-by-side, that way.

End babble mi amigo. wink

Vll ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-14 15:33:01)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#8 2012-11-14 15:52:17

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Of course, thanks for that my BiZKit friend. We can of course run multiple instances of the Fox. That is another great thing.
We should merge the threads.  devil At least I can link it to yours.

#9 2012-11-14 16:05:29

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

big_smile

You explained perfectly how to do what you described though. Didn't let that stop me from babbling anyway. The straight-forward how to you gave here, might finally allow me to get rid of IW altogether. Don't even know why I still have it .. Never even use it and yet still have it set as default browser ? It's a pain uncommenting the experimental repo in sources.list just to upgrade IW, arghhhh !

Ah ... either way, thanks for the how to Sir Ivan ... good stuff. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-14 16:07:32)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#10 2012-11-22 19:28:34

42f87d89

I did exactly what you described, but I don't get flash. I get flash on iceweasel, but not on Firefox.
I'm using Firefox 17 and whichever current version of #! is the stable default one.

#11 2012-11-22 19:41:20

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

But if you get Flash with Weasel, you should have it also in Fox. What Flash plugin are you using?
Can you post the content of:

apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree

#12 2012-11-22 19:45:21

42f87d89

ivanovnegro wrote:

But if you get Flash with Weasel, you should have it also in Fox. What Flash plugin are you using?
Can you post the content of:

apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree

flashplugin-nonfree:
  Installed: 1:2.8.2
  Candidate: 1:2.8.2
  Version table:
*** 1:2.8.2 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
N: Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

Also, about:plugins has no plugins

Last edited by 42f87d89 (2012-11-22 19:46:40)

#13 2012-11-22 20:15:00

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Ok, Flash is there. Can you try to update it just in case:

sudo update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

#14 2012-11-23 12:43:52

42f87d89

ivanovnegro wrote:

Ok, Flash is there. Can you try to update it just in case:

sudo update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

I have done that, and it still doesn't work. I tried it before as well, and it didn't work then.
I think the problem is with Firefox not recognizing flash, it just can't find where it is.

PS. Does the fact that I'm using the same config folder as Iceweasel affect this? I think it is also the same config folder I had in Ubuntu.

EDIT: For clarification, I have uninstalled Iceweasel, but not purged.

Last edited by 42f87d89 (2012-11-23 12:44:45)

#15 2012-11-23 12:54:38

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

It should not matter but maybe try with a clean Mozilla profile. I am out of ideas.

#16 2012-11-23 13:07:32

42f87d89

ivanovnegro wrote:

It should not matter but maybe try with a clean Mozilla profile. I am out of ideas.

Ok, I'm gonna purge everything related to Firefox and flash I can find. Then install it from your guide.

#17 2012-11-23 13:12:38

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ +1 Ivan's suggestion ...

Other babble ... hard to say person w issue. Using FF17 and IW17 ... No flash problems that I've seen here. Just checked on youtube ... both running side-by-side ... No prob w flash or full-screen etc blahblah. One of the many headaches of trying to help people w tech issues remotely, if you've customized the hades out of things and don't tell people, it becomes a game of 14 gazillion questions. ie: You say you're "using the same config files" for both ... Makes me wonder what that even means ?

Like Sir Ivan just said/typed ... Use a separate mozilla profile for each ... imo anyway. There's a link up above in this thread about that topic. Can say, I'm having no probs with IW 17 or FF 17 that I've noticed. Also have had IW + 3 or 4 diff versions of FF running on a nix OS w/o issues. Guess could read that babble how to ... Try what Sir Ivan is suggesting etc.

Actually came here to gripe a lil bit and this was the 1st FF related thread I came across ... Here goes ...

Sheesh ... is anyone else starting to get frustrated with mozilla's new rapid release thingy ? Am starting to get dizzy/whiplash trying to keep everything updated !!!! And keeps disabling my themes DARN IT !!! Still wuv Fireweasel ... but also think this version chasing is getting a tad out of hand !!!!

Sighs .... just venting folks. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-23 13:24:12)

#18 2012-11-23 13:30:48

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Actually if you use few addons/extensions with the Fox, even the most popular (they are updated regularly), you are almost always good to go, the rapid release cycle never affected me personally in a negative way.

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2012-11-23 13:31:19)

#19 2012-11-23 13:39:02

42f87d89

Ok, I purged firefox, icewesel, iceape and flashplugin-nonfree.
I deleted my previous firefox folder, backed up my .mozilla folder, re-downloaded FF17 from mozilla, deleted all folders related to mozilla and firefox I could find, then I re-installed firefox as shown here and it still doesn't work.

Why does this have to be so difficult? What could possibly be the problem here?

#20 2012-11-23 13:47:34

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Good deal Ivan ... smile

The add-ons aren't causing me aggravation, just saying the theme's I tend to set often get disabled between version upgrades. I don't atm understand why, a theme that works in FF v 16.0.2 imo should still work in v 17 anyway, shrugs. Plus upkeeping several OS's I believe is a source of my frustration. Yet ... that's MY fault/choice too. So guess I should be griping at myself ... arghhhh ! tongue

What the person above typed ... Did make me think of summin, if someone purges IW ... Would that get rid of stuff related to it ? I mean ... flashplayer and etc. I know Ivan has done this and it no doubt works. As usual (imo) think it's hard to tell which step in the process x-user is going wrong. Jmo ... would follow Ivan's how to ... to the letter, starting w step 1 o course. wink

Am thinking about trying this kinda thing myself, I don't use IW anymore ... so don't know why it's still installed and set as default browser ?! Was thinking/wondering ... should be poss to keep both ... right ? Just add FF to path, as you/Ivan describes ?  Would be nice to just set FF as default for sure and be able to forget about da weasel altogether. Dang it ... end babble folks. Suffering from TMC= Too much coffee syndrome atm.

Vll! wink

Edit babble:

I probably just need to disable compatibility checking thingy ... Nothing will likely change drastically between v 16.0.2 and v 17 for a stupe theme ! Just not sure if I want to do that atm. Oh well ... it'll work out one way or other.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-23 13:55:35)

#21 2012-11-23 14:05:12

42f87d89

So, I installed Iceweasel, checked that flash works, then I dragged all the files from my firefox17 folder into /usr/lib/iceweasel and then flash stopped working in iceweasel.

Is that helpful at all?

I'd love if I were able to reverse engineer this process.

EDIT: I reinstalled iceweasel and flash started working again.

Last edited by 42f87d89 (2012-11-23 14:07:53)

#22 2012-11-23 15:17:22

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Hmmmm ... doesn't really help me. However I tend to stay confused I guess, arghhh. tongue

Went ahead and added FF to path, as described in the original how to, worked as expected. EXCEPT that's it's apparently using IW's profile when I launch the default web-browser, shrugs. Not a big deal for me anyway, at least when clicking on a webpage or URL link, FF will launch instead of da weasel now. Am opting for leaving well enough alone. Will just leave IW v. 17 installed ... Da fox is default ha ! Thanks Sir Ivan ... for finally prompting me to mess with it. smile

42f87d89 ... again, it's hard to tell what's going on with your OS's ... Imo anyway. Trying to help, Sir Ivan has tried to help too. There are 3 good browser how to's in this thread, Ivan's ... the one I babble added and there's a link to yet another in that babble how to as well. Giving myself a headache ... arghhh ! As again ... it could be ALOT of stuff causing you a prob. As mentioned above .... would just leave IW installed anyway, just add FF as the default browser as described. I just did it myself and it worked as expected, so KNOW it works as advertised. Though Ivan did this and it's working for him ...

Babble edit:

Ivan also says this in his how to.

"I know Flash is evil and everything and by now I use more html5 (actually I do not use Flash at all) but some people just want to use it or need it."

Meaning he ISN'T using flash anymore ... haz opted for html5. I was wondering if removing IW will remove the flashplayer too ? If so ... obviously ... flash would stop working etc. I'm not sure what would get purged ... and so, as mentioned I just left IW installed.

Some things that come to mind regards this and it's silly ... but we're playing a game of 14gazillion questions and the silly and/or obvious will be on that list .... arghhhh !!!!!!!

This part for ie: When Ivan says/types.

update-alternatives --install  /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /home/youruser/firefox/firefox 100

Did you download and extract FF to /home as Ivan said ? Did you put youruser name where he says /home/youruser ? If not ... there's your trouble ... It won't work OR any of a buncha other obvious things. As it's a fact and crazy how often the obvious get's overlooked in life. It's said AND I 100% believe it ... That one of the most common tech support solutions is "Is it plugged in ?" Am not saying you are @ fault either just that some annoying thing may be the cause for the failure.

Funny babble: big_smile

Anonymous person having computer problems calls tech support.

* Anonymous person says ( AP for short.) Hello ... yeah hi, my printer isn't working.

* Tech person replies: Ahhhh ... is it plugged into your computer and is it plugged into the power outlet in the wall, is it turned on .... did you press the power button on it ? glasses

* AP: ... errrrr, thanks .... goodbye.

Am not being a smart@rse here either. Can only think @ this point to say, if at lst you don't succeed, google and google some more. wink

Yep ... you guessed it ... one more babble edit to add ... am beyond done w babbling in this thread folks. Simply put w/o extensive explanation ... "32bit vs 64bit" ? Could ... or not be involved ? If x-user is still having trouble ... Might want to start a thread in help/support ? I'm also beyond out of ideas related to this though.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-23 16:58:09)

#23 2012-11-23 17:56:20

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

I do not use Flash anymore but I used it with the same intructions from above and Flash should work. At the moment I am too blind to see/think what the issue is.

#24 2012-11-24 05:09:10

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Arghhh o course ... more babble cometh. tongue

Of course ... wanted to keep messing w this ... If only for educational or dorkish reasons. Purged Iceweasel 17 ... Took the cautious route 1st and simulated it to see what would get removed ... "sudo apt-get purge iceweasel -s". Only thing that was to be removed was IW, then went ahead and purged it ... Only thing removed is/was IW. Checked which mozilla profile was being used for FF afterwards and yep, it's now using the profile I wanted. Finally ... went to youtube to test flash ... Worked fine.

Firefox FTW! +1 ... End babble ... also +1. wink

Edit dammit !!!!

This friggin thread has become my new career I guess ... dammit SOME MORE !!!

Anyway ... not so fast, being a dork, after doing all that above, I decided to do "sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean". As expected it removed a couple=2 IW related packages (these libmozjs17d xulrunner-17.0) ... no biggie, went ahead and did it. However put me back to where I was, when clicking on an html file ( webpage) I have saved on hdd ... Firefox launches and iz back to using the Iceweasel profile as before. Flashplayer still works fine anyway.

Then decided to dork around with the profiles in ~/.mozilla aka: /home/yourusername/.mozilla ... Rather than deleting it ... Opted for the cautious approach ... . I cut and pasted the iceweasel profile into a shared data partition instead and restarted openbox "openbox --restart". Clicked on an html file ( again yes a webpg I have saved on disk.) Got an error ... Something like Firefox ... cannot locate it's profile blahblahblah. Cut/pasted the iceweasel profile back the way it was, clicked on html file again ... Bingo ... Firefox launches again, using the IW profile ... again.

note: Not that it'dve friggin mattered, if I had deleted the sucker ... It'd be safely sitting in the trash and easily restored

Of course, the symlink,  bash alias put in .bashrc, all the keyboard shortcuts in rc.xml and menu.xml ( right click menu) still work as they should, all launch FF using the profile I want it to use. Am happy w this, as Ivan said ... Firefox is now set as the default and IW is gone. Calling it progress and good enough for me.

At this point ... all I'd have to do is install add whatever plugins + theme I want to the IW profile and am good to go, shrugs and yep ... tested it already. Just noting this stuff for posterity ...

Update:

Getting rid of IW 17 ... apparently also knocked out the mozilla profile manager. Didn't remove the profiles I already had in /home/username/.mozilla ... Mainly cuz am lazy and like the profilemanager much ... Decided to reinstall IW17 ... FF is still default browser as Ivan instructed, flash still works fine too and once again have convenient access to the mozilla profile manager ... blahblahblah. This is a WIN ! Think can finally get on w ma life now. lol

Make that end babble +1,000 ... errrr +1,001. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-24 18:03:42)

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-11-24 17:37:11

42f87d89

Aha! My flash was broken.

I ran "sudo apt-get install --reinstall --assume-yes flashplugin-nonfree && update-alternatives --auto flash-mozilla.so && rm -f -r /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash* && ln -sf /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flash-mozilla.so"

Then "sudo update-flashplugin-nonfree --install" (Having firefox as my default browser)

And now it works!

EDIT: I also changed to nightly 64 bit

Last edited by 42f87d89 (2012-11-24 17:39:06)

Board footer