SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1876 2012-11-18 19:28:18

intoCB
Scatweasel

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

Cool. Might reinstall it then. Thanks for the link. Since I reallocated Grub to CrunchBang, after Ubuntu took it over, the Vaio fan (or whatever it is that causes that whine, it may not be the fan) is going nuts in Ubuntu - and it was fine after initially installing catalyst after the install.

What is the significance of installing Grub in the MBR and how do I tell if it's installed there? CrunchBang is on separate / and /home partitions along with the swap partition inside the extended partition. Ubuntu sits just outside on a primary partition but shares the swap with CrunchBang.

Be excellent to each other!

#1877 2012-11-18 19:37:18

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

boot into Umbongo and run

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
sudo update-grub

x being its root partition. Then reboot into #! and run sudo update-grub

#1878 2012-11-18 20:12:04

ew
#! Die Hard

VastOne wrote:

^ Not sure what Xubuntu uses, but any decent installer should/would give you the option of installing grub to the mbr OR /dev/sdX of your choosing.

Xubuntu 12.10 gave me the option. But you probably don`t get it if you choose to install Xubuntu side by side with existing OS. Then I assume it will write itself to the mbr....

- apt-mark hold account

#1879 2012-11-18 20:30:13

ew
#! Die Hard

MrPink wrote:

^^ http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ … -downloads

Ubuntu's alternate installer gives you the option to install either grub or lilo anywhere you want. It is identical to Debian's text-based installer, and it lets you install all the official *buntu flavors.

Not sure if it was that way with Xubuntu 12.04, but I installed Xubuntu 12.10 with the standard installer, and I got the option to decide where to install grub.  I didn`t get any option for lilo though, but that`s slower anyhow, and therefore not recommended by me, lol. I used it with Salix though, and everything worked fine, except a small issue with the installer that changed the UUID of my swap-partition, making it unavailable to my other installed distros. Easy to fix, but still a bit annoying. There is a strong possibility that I messed it up myself, because the text-installer used by Salix was a bit confusing to me;)

The Ubuntu installer may be different than the one used in Xubuntu, so that one I can`t say anything about. I installed Ubuntu a while back, but don`t remember how the installer looked, because I removed Ubuntu relatively quickly, not understanding why anyone would use Unity. A bit faster than LM`s Cinnamon, but still slow, and the tiles are just a waste of space. I loved "Dash" though. It would be nice if I could get it as a standalone app:)

- apt-mark hold account

#1880 2012-11-18 21:14:21

intoCB
Scatweasel

You can actually make the tiles hide, which clears up space on the desktop although I seem to remember it doesn't work well on VirtualBolux.

In any case, I'm not here to advocate on behalf of Ubuntu :-)

Will experiment with Grub and partitioning. Think I once picked the don't install grub option on Debian and had to reinstall grub using boot repair disk even for the OS that was already there.

#1881 2012-11-18 23:33:16

ew
#! Die Hard

SimonHoare wrote:

You can actually make the tiles hide, which clears up space on the desktop although I seem to remember it doesn't work well on VirtualBolux.

In any case, I'm not here to advocate on behalf of Ubuntu :-)

Will experiment with Grub and partitioning. Think I once picked the don't install grub option on Debian and had to reinstall grub using boot repair disk even for the OS that was already there.

OK. I didn`t keep it long enough to check it out. It was way to heavy for this old pc. Those extra ms of waiting after each click drove me crazy. The only thing that I have tried that is heavier than Unity, is Cinnamon. XFCE is a nice compromize for old and new hardware. Works fine on both:)

Openbox is of course as light or heavy as you make it, and therefore also well suited for all kinds of hardware configurations, but openbox probably isn`t a realistic alternative for the average pc-user. That`s why I`m in our national computerforums are trying my best to initially get people over from Windows to Ubuntu/Xubuntu or Linux Mint, and then perhaps get them to take the next step and try Openbox, preferrably #! big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#1882 2012-11-19 01:51:13

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

merelyjim wrote:

^
Last time I used Entropy on Sabayon was about six months ago, and search for a packages was dead-easy - loved it - but updating or the equivalent to dist-upgrade took forever.
In the end there were just too many Debian-based tricks I had picked up that wouldn't work there...

i often feel the same, but the other way around.  too many gentoo tricks just wont fly with debian.  ^_^

hinto wrote:

^ doesn't count unless you do it from a floppy wink
BTW.. after your Debian install, you can morph it back to #!, (or siduction, or simplice, or Mepsi) just for fun.
-H

^_^ i morphed CalculateLinux back into Gentoo for fun.  and it was fun.  now i'm tempted to ditch it and do a fresh install...   hrmm... i wonder if wei2912's refactorise branch of witchcraft is working yet, or if he's just added more bugs without fixing the existing ones from the main branch of github.com/Digit/witch ... if it works, maybe i can just use the witchcraft script to install gentoo, then nearly all the hard work will have bene done for me, an easy install of gentoo...  mmm.

Sadin wrote:

I Help out ...

... something special to contribute to the linux community. ...

... I know im crazy but thats why were in this thread right smile

welcome.  smile  that is why.  i'm lubn yer community spirit. smile

VastOne wrote:

Or at least to have multiple partitions setup and an understanding of grub before setting out on the Hop journey.

1 partition for your favorite/best distro, and where grub should live.

1 partition for home

1 partition for swap

1 partition for Hop Bopping..

and if 4 is not enough, create an extended partition and create four more partitions for Distro tests.

heh, laptop has about 8 partitions (not counting the various numbers of partitions any pendrives that are usually in it have), and the workstation has 15 partitions on the 300gb wd velociraptor, and another 15 on a 1.5tb, and a 2tb with just one partition.  31 partitions there on the one machine.   that too many?  there's about 20 opperating systems installed on it.  ^_^

ElderV.LaCoste wrote:

One of my favorite little distros GALPon MiniNo 2.0, is out now.

smile nice.  thnx.

and yes.  i read all the thread.  ^_^  dont wanna miss out just cos i've been half-awol for about a month.

i'm itchiiiiiiing for gentooism.........  or kwort.... or a bbq release  ... ok, got the spectrwm bbq dling.  i need a fix, man!

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#1883 2012-11-19 03:04:02

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Arch
Conky
Xfce 4.10
Xfce4 Panel

screenshot-11182012-090121pm.php

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#1884 2012-11-19 07:19:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

Yeah, try new Linux users first with Ubuntu. Then if they don't like that at all, try them with Mint.

Make the way clear for them to discover CrunchBang (raising awareness etc.) but don't force it upon them. It probably doesn't have the vocation of replacing Ubuntu as the public face of Linux.

...or plan B: lock them in a cellar with:

- a large candle
- a box of matches
- a PC with no operating system on it
- an Arch USB
- a print out of the Arch wiki

Then tell them you'll unlock the door just as soon as they send you an e-mail.

#1885 2012-11-19 12:11:11

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
Flaw in plan B;
If you actually print out the Arch wiki, there'll be no room left in the cellar for the other stuff...  big_smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#1886 2012-11-19 13:07:57

Iranon
#! Junkie

So the main reason one would grow to like Arch is Stockholm syndrome?
Sounds about right, actually.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#1887 2012-11-19 14:25:53

intoCB
Scatweasel

You have a point. Ok, skip the wiki. We could just leave little riddles, for example:

If you want to end this week alive
Perhaps it's time to mount a drive

#1888 2012-11-19 15:11:27

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

devil I like it!

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#1889 2012-11-20 00:16:35

ew
#! Die Hard

I`m not sure I could escape that cellar myself. I suppose we could give them the wifi-password, but then it wouldn`t be as fun:D

- apt-mark hold account

#1890 2012-11-30 01:08:15

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

hi crunchers smile

i'm glad to announce that livarp_0.3.9 is available for download big_smile
as some of you have tested/liked the previous release, i'm kind of proud to announce it here (as i began terminal'stuff with crunchbang 7.10 wink and with corenominal's help)

so, a litle description:
what is livarp ?
-livarp is a DEBIAN-based distro with 9wms inside: vtwm, dwm, echinus, wmfs2, awesome(by Aphelion), evilwm, pekwm, fluxbox & compiz.
-special attention was paid to the documentation and livarp-help-center to let you discover the easiest way these 9 window managers.
-livarp can handle PIII with 128M ram but is better with a PIV and 512M ram. higher config are just bonus smile.

livarp is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Debian squeeze and built with the Debian Live project.
    livarp is available in iso9660 (format cd) Live/Installcd or img format for usb use.
    made by arpinux : contact@arpinux.org
    95% free (conky, some firmwares and flashplugin for the last 5%)
    light, fast and stable: livarp is based on Debian Squeeze, one of the most stable distro atm..
    anynoob-inside livarp is made for every user that can read and want to discover alternatives window-managers.
    9 sessions available from live to install: vtwm, dwm, echinuswm, awesomewm, evilwm, pekwm, wmfs, fluxbox and compiz stand-alone.
    livarp-xs-maker, this script transform your livarp in livarp-xs (mono-session) by removing all unneeded sessions.
    livarp help center, a complete documentation available locally in your distribution including all the on-line docs.
    composite management with xcompmgr and transset-df.
    no graphical session-manager: your session is launched by startx, then a clean zenity dialog window appears to let you choose your session.
    auto-mounting handled by udisks-glue with dzen2 notifications.
    gnome-network-manager for network-management.

all infos, download, docs, screenshots on http://arpinux.org/livarp
happy testing smile
@+
arp smile

Last edited by arpinux (2012-11-30 01:08:51)

#1891 2012-11-30 01:27:18

ew
#! Die Hard

arpinux wrote:

hi crunchers smile
all infos, download, docs, screenshots on http://arpinux.org/livarp
happy testing smile
@+
arp smile

Exiting. I`m downloading Sabayon 10 KDE right now, but maybe I`ll give your distro a try first:)

The Sabayon ISO is 1.9 GB, so it better be worth it:)

Well, I guess I can go to bed. With Sabayon and your Distro downloading at the same time,
then my dsl-line is pretty much useless for anything else:)

- apt-mark hold account

#1892 2012-11-30 01:33:37

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

thx for testing smile hope you'll find some good 'surprises' .. don't hésitate to report bugs/give ideas on the contact page or by mail.

#1893 2012-11-30 02:02:42

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

Livarp ROCKS!
Downloading and burning now...more feedback to come!

#1894 2012-11-30 02:09:13

ew
#! Die Hard

arpinux wrote:

thx for testing smile hope you'll find some good 'surprises' .. don't hésitate to report bugs/give ideas on the contact page or by mail.

Will do. It`s downloaded and ready to try tomorrow. It`s 3 AM here, and if I start trying it now, then I probably end up without any sleep tonight. And I probably shouldn`t do that. Not as young as I used to be. I need my sleep. Well, good night to all:)

- apt-mark hold account

#1895 2012-11-30 02:09:55

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

haha ... same here big_smile
@chameleon, thx a lot for your 'long-time support' my friend smile

Last edited by arpinux (2012-11-30 02:11:45)

#1896 2012-11-30 02:18:46

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

Pleasure is mine arpinux!
Slipping into night shift mode... but I am determined to burn this beauty and have a look before bed time....

#1897 2012-11-30 21:08:42

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

el_koraco wrote:

boot into Umbongo and run

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
sudo update-grub

x being its root partition. Then reboot into #! and run sudo update-grub

If grub has just been overwritten but is otherwise fine, you can do the less invasive command (if the MBR is on /dev/sda)...

sudo grub-setup /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

See the first page of johnraff's post here, comments 1, 4 and 5...
If ubuntu overwrites your mbr (Grub 2)

#1898 2012-11-30 21:20:57

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Fedora 18
Xfce 4.10
Conky 1 line System Panel
Conky Gmail/Greader RSS feed
2 Tint2 latest svn build panels... Launchers/Tasks/System Tray

screenshot-11302012-031938pm.php

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#1899 2012-12-01 00:36:09

fog
#! CrunchBanger
Website

2000: My first linux installation, almost. Red Hat 7.
2001: Better luck with Suse 7. Suse was my main distro for about 2 or 3 years. My first linux steps and already a distro hopper:
Mandrake, Slackware... my lilo always was busy.
2003: First contact with Debian and Woody.
2004: Main distro Fedora and my first try to use gnome. Till then I was a happy kde user.
2005: fog meets Ubuntu and gnome. For almost 6 years was my main distro but I was testing everything:
small distros(dsl, puppy, peanut, slitaz, minislack, astrumi some of them), big distros (mint, knoppix, dreamlinux, pear, pinguyos, fuduntu, cinnarch, manjaro, zorin and many many more), bsd-based (freebsd, pcbsd) etc.
Last year Ubuntu became too heavy for my netbook. It was time to end the "Ubuntu/Gnome era". My first "openbox distro" was WattOS, then Bridge Linux, Archbang and finally Crunchbang. The best openbox experience out of the box -for me- till now.

Some shots from the past:
Kde/Debian/Jan 2005 (in the same disk Suse and Fedora) and Kubuntu:
debian7.jpg  screenshot4da.jpg

Some Gnome (fuduntu, ubuntu/macbook era) shots:
j9tvu.png  420371101507367549735541168254497n.jpg  422528101507367651485541368121086n.jpg

And finally openbox (WattOS and Archbang):
sfpxo.jpg  524570101507634674535541300381285n.jpg

The story so far. Now I'm downloading livarp. Less is more. wink
With every new distro I feel like a kid -again- in the playground. big_smile

2012-12-01--1354313988709x437scrot.png

Last edited by fog (2012-12-01 00:38:59)

I’m not antisocial, I’m just not user friendly.
photos || blog || dArt

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#1900 2012-12-01 00:44:17

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

@fog
I am sure you will not be disappointed with Livarp 0.3.9.
This release has a really sexy cool Awesome wm session (thanks to Aphelion configs)
Arpinux puts a lot of thought into making Livarp usable but lightweight.

Last edited by chameleon (2012-12-01 00:45:35)

Board footer