SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-16 20:38:50

morgue888

Need to vent. sorry in advance. (side note: #! is awesome)

Ok.. so i have been using ubuntu as a workstation for about 4 years.
It just did all my day to day stuff I needed with little to no fuss.
(vbox with vms for windows specific tasks, remmina for rdp to my servers, email, etc.)

and.... then.... 12.10
what a steaming pile of schmitt.
amazon lens for unity... wtf
slow and buggy interface.... wtf
some of my video cards freaking the hell out... wtf

Sorry I just had to get that out.
Some stuff could be fixed/worked out, but the overall feel is sluggish.

just to clarify my workstation is nothing fantastic but far from garbage.
Intel Q2Q Q6600
8GB DDR2
Areca 1220 Raid controller
Multiple Nvida (stupid closed drivers) video cards I am messing with atm to find the one that runs coolest.

I discovered #! more so recently and I could not have discovered it sooner.
My workstation came home with my this weekend so I can get my stuff set back up.
(hopefully all goes well my setup is slightly non-basic.)
I look forward to a non-bloated responsive machine again big_smile

Well sorry for venting here I don't have any local tech type friends to vent to... lol

Side question:
Anyone have a recommendation for a video card that runs cool and well under linux.
(positioning of the NB cooler sucks air off the back of the video card and tends to make it run hotter...)
^ I know is funky... but my one nvidia 8800 GTX runs 65C unless I manually adjust the fan setting.
(ambient room temp 72F-76F)

Oh yet another sidenote:
Only ubuntu desktop 12.10 has been crap server 12.10 has been fine (use it for a minecraft server lol)

Last edited by morgue888 (2012-11-16 20:44:41)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-17 04:45:33

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

Re: Need to vent. sorry in advance. (side note: #! is awesome)

morgue888 wrote:

How about: "Unity, WTF?"

I hate to reignite the Unity-hate, but it is an absolutely horrible desktop environment. It could work well on a tablet, but I don't think it is remotely usable on a traditional desktop or laptop system.

On a brighter note: welcome to the world of CrunchBang! Feel free to post here if you encounter any problems with your newly "non-bloated responsive machine" smile

#3 2012-11-17 09:11:57

cchhrriiss121212
#! Junkie

morgue888 wrote:

Side question:
Anyone have a recommendation for a video card that runs cool and well under linux.
(positioning of the NB cooler sucks air off the back of the video card and tends to make it run hotter...)
^ I know is funky... but my one nvidia 8800 GTX runs 65C unless I manually adjust the fan setting.
(ambient room temp 72F-76F)

I have a passive cooled gt430 which does just fine, it hovers around 50C with a room temp of around 18-20C. Nvidia is still the best way to go IMO.

But by the sound of it what you need is a decent case fan...

#4 2012-11-17 11:40:37

joek
#! Junkie

@R3nCi: Unity. My gods.
I had reason to use one of my university's computers yesterday, with a choice of Windows XP or Ubuntu 12.10. Going for the lesser of two evils, I went for the Ubuntu, and then spent the next hour doing more complaining about unity than doing my work. For a meant to be user-friendly UI, I had to look at man pages simply to work out how to enable sloppy focus.

#5 2012-11-17 12:06:24

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

If the card is running this hot even with the binary drivers, there is probably something wrong with your heating system.

#6 2012-11-17 14:39:57

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Every now and then ... everyone ... EVERYONE, needs to vent some buntu hatred. It's all good ... go ahead get it out. You'll feel better. tongue

Me = Bein dork ... as usual.  Vll! big_smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#7 2012-11-17 19:47:53

omns
#! wanderer

I've seen lots of people having trouble with 12.10 and for this reason have stuck with 12.04 LTS on the machine I have Ubuntu installed on. I'd suggest moving back if you liked Ubuntu on that machine. It's worth noting that the way Ubuntu works towards an LTS, they expect bugs and problems in the in-between releases as they see them as development builds. Past history shows the first .10 release after an LTS has issues because it will introduce new ideas and solutions that are under development. It also inherits a flood of new packages from its unstable/sid rebuilds.

Ubuntu hate saddens me. Unity isn't for all but it suits my workflow for the purpose of that machine as I'm sure it does many others. It's all subjective and it's great that we have so much choice smile

#8 2012-11-17 19:58:21

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

i don't think its really an ubuntu hate, its really more irrational type of hate: whats that ugly dock thingy doing stuck at the left edge of the screen < type of hate, at least it starts there and it starts soon...

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-11-17 19:59:30)

#9 2012-11-18 15:17:11

hashbanger
#! CrunchBanger

Probably it is Unity hate. Personally I like Unity because I also like WindowMaker (which Unity has almost cloned). I just would never use it because its handling sucks.

Last edited by hashbanger (2012-11-18 15:17:34)

FreeBSD | OpenBSD | Windows. Randomly lurking.
Decentralized #! eD2k/Kad mirror.

#10 2012-11-18 15:43:20

intoCB
Scatweasel

You can hide the launcher and if you have your fingers glued to the keyboard, the tap-the-Windows-key and a few letters of the name of the program works well.

However, I just reinstalled 12.10 as a secondary system after initially giving up on it shortly after it was released, when the upgrade failed.

It's actually ok and in many ways it's a very attractive system but it's so much slower than CrunchBang and when you want to do productive work that really makes a difference.

Then Rhythmbox did that dimming and then crashing thing today that only Ubuntu does. For the state of the art and commercial end of Linux, there are many things about which are frankly shoddy.

I certainly don't hate Ubuntu but I do feel with the 12.10 release that they wrongly prioritised gizmos over basic functionality (such as not crashing), and prioritising gizmos is a beginner's mistake.

Last edited by intoCB (2012-11-18 15:44:03)

I was here. Here I was. Was I here? Existence is impermanent so yes and no.

#11 2012-11-18 20:04:20

omns
#! wanderer

SimonHoare wrote:

I certainly don't hate Ubuntu but I do feel with the 12.10 release that they wrongly prioritised gizmos over basic functionality (such as not crashing), and prioritising gizmos is a beginner's mistake.

As mentioned above it's been proven over time that this is how they do things between LTS releases. It's a strange approach but it should be in place by 14.04  roll   smile I used to have a link to an article by Shuttleworth explaining this process. I'l see what I can dig up smile

#12 2012-11-18 22:10:53

dura
Bloated Gimp

Though I'm not currently planning on using unity or ubuntu (I have felt a small temptation to at least see if I like it or not) I think it's quite important that the largest and most established organizations take risks and experiment with new things. Even if its windows 8, which seems like the cries of a dying dog, such experimentation propels more widespread learning and development. If unity was not developed; if windows 8 was not developed, there would be much less movement and change throughout gnu/linux, #! would perhaps be less strong and not growing so much; people would stick to the traditional interfaces and we would never know what other nice approaches there might be. I've never owned nor really wanted a Mac, and am negative toward the fanboy status it now has, but macs, etc., have pushed computing and technology a lot, and have at least seemed to be more creative and experimental than the previous status quo. Amazon on unity? Great- we don't have to use it, it popularises an already popular distro more, draws people away from macs and windows, and helps define what ubuntu is about. Gnome 2 or whatever else was far from perfect in my eyes too. I enjoyed the learning that came with the gnome shell too for a bit; it opened my eyes to other possibilities previously concealed. There is always an ironic conservatism involved in such polemic attacks to the status quo. Though I'm pretty new to gnu/linux there often seems to be an 'old boys club' mentality to it, that has people talking about freedom, etc., just to define what it is and what you should and shouldn't use. People trying to keep linux the obscure island in the distance it once was. We get it here in Liverpool a lot (not directed towards computing of course, but toward tories and politics in general).

Quite easy to understand the original posters frustration after having used ubuntu for four years though. I just got quite bored of anti-ubuntu/unity/gnome shell stuff over the last few months, though that too has it's valuable contribution toward the creative evolution of gnu/linux.

Last edited by dura (2012-11-18 22:23:55)

#13 2012-11-18 23:48:32

ew
#! Die Hard

morgue888 wrote:

Ok.. so i have been using ubuntu as a workstation for about 4 years.
It just did all my day to day stuff I needed with little to no fuss.
(vbox with vms for windows specific tasks, remmina for rdp to my servers, email, etc.)

and.... then.... 12.10
what a steaming pile of schmitt.
slow and buggy interface.... wtf
some of my video cards freaking the hell out... wtf

Sorry I just had to get that out.
Some stuff could be fixed/worked out, but the overall feel is sluggish.

just to clarify my workstation is nothing fantastic but far from garbage.
Intel Q2Q Q6600
8GB DDR2
Areca 1220 Raid controller
Multiple Nvida (stupid closed drivers) video cards I am messing with atm to find the one that runs coolest.

Try Xubuntu 12.10. You see my specs in my signature. With XFCE 4.10 it`s fast and can be configured to look very nice, in about 5 minutes or so... Even with my outdated hardware Xubuntu is fast. But of course, #! is just as fast, or even faster, even though I don`t notice any difference in performance. With my hardware then there is three distros that stand out, namely Crunchbang, Peppermint, and Xubuntu. I have just installed LM-Debian XFCE and love that, but it feels a little bit heavier. I have also tried a lot of other "extremely lightweight distros", but I don`t notice any improvence in performance, compared to the three first ones.

- apt-mark hold account

#14 2012-11-19 08:28:49

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

I almost wanted to write:
"mac's have apps that actually do some heavy weight work, ubuntu has an ugly gui, so there is a big difference...."
but then i changed my approach to:
"de doesnt really improve apps a lot (perhaps few of them), so when there is no decent apps, de doesnt matter either"
but then i realize that this is only my personal view, and that vi vs emacs vs geany debate is really relevant.
At the end i decided to not post at all, but the mouse sliped and clicked the submit button.

#15 2012-11-19 09:15:47

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ LMAO

Ahhh ... feel not alone dude wink Many ... many, manyyyyyyyy times I do that too.  lol Start typing ... keep babbling, think better and abort it. You shall now respectith the submit button more for awhile. wink Funny stuff ... end of the dy, it's a nix forum = Not that serious anyway.  glasses

Agree with Omns up there about "It's all subjective and it's great that we have so much choice." Me too ... vll !  monkey

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#16 2012-11-19 09:46:33

vicshrike
#! by Default

if you do not like it....roast your own!

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#17 2012-11-20 14:29:53

morgue888

Just an update:

Everything is setup and running smooth.
I ended up using an old Nvidia 8400GS passive cooled.
(not very powerful but runs my dual display setup fine.)

I have become addicted to playing with conky and it is eating a lot of time.
...but oh so fun smile

#18 2012-11-20 19:10:31

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

vicshrike wrote:

if you do not like it....roast your own!

+1  cool

Board footer