SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-11-16 13:11:44

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Re: Crunchbang Disclaimer Gone: A New Beginning?

+1 Dura's original post/comments on it.

It's been discussed ... more than once in crunchville. Said the same thing(s) myself. That disclaimer scared me away from #! for a couple months too.

Any software or OS in da world might/can ... MIGHT or CAN make a persons PC go CRUNCH !!! ... BANG !!!

Depending upon ALOT of stuff. Crunchbang is heckuva more stable than many of the more "mainstream" nix distro's, as you said already anyway. Why scare people off with a disclaimer like that ? Oh well ... da beat goes on and da beat goes on. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-16 13:13:23)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2012-11-16 14:12:40

hinto
#! Windbag

^ I started Linux as a beginner (0, NADA, NIL, NULL experience) using SID.  I needed a 64-bit OS (without the 64K price) for development.
I was undeterred wink
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#28 2012-11-16 19:36:27

saturn9

gutterslob wrote:

I propose a new disclaimer, preferably one about SLIM eating your music collection.

Seconded!

#29 2012-11-17 14:47:45

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Lol ... nothing wrong with that Hinto.

Also remember seeing you in the LM forum ... I think anyway. Could've been a diff Hinto. Agree ( have said/typed before) the choice of the old #! disclaimer is needlessly worrisome imo too. Still consider myself a nix newb for the most part but thinking back, #! was on the short list of "starter" distro's I'd been considering. Had it down to 3-4 after a couple dys of considering options. That disclaimer (for me) was a major reason I skipped Crunchbang and started out w Linux Mint instead. Also agree ( +1) Dura again about #! bein more stable than many ... Managed to make LM10 go CRUNCH/BANG!!! @ least 20 times while learning to use and/or tweak it, shrugs.

Just babbling ... already had my say and then some on this. If Corenominal wants to keep the older disclaimer ( ... ok), if he wants to go w something more moderate ( ... ok too.) wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-11-17 14:52:26)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#30 2012-11-18 19:41:15

hinto
#! Windbag

^ I am the same.  wink
I moved to #! when it went Debian.
The distro that started it all was Kannotix when it was based on SID.
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#31 2012-11-19 00:06:41

ew
#! Die Hard

Nah, I thought the disclaimer was quite funny. Before trying it, the disclaimer attracted me. I just had to try it, but #! failed to meet my expectations, lol. Instead it turned out to be rock stable, and even Waldorf feels almost to stable. I don`t get the feeling of being part of a test-release. Not at all:)

- apt-mark hold account

#32 2012-11-19 00:41:29

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

dura wrote:

I noticed the other day that the semi-famous (within these forums anyway) #! disclaimer that used to be blazoned on the download page has been removed since the new forum and website design. I know some folk liked the disclaimer. For me, it was one of the reasons that I never considered using #! as my main system on my production machine. I thought that though it added to excitement, it also suggested, wrongly in hindsight, that #! lives up to its name and is not suitable for 'normal users'.

Removing it I think is perhaps a good idea; at least if gaining greater popularity amongst normal users is a goal corenominal identifies.

#! is far more stable than Mint or ubuntu in my experience, more so than windows too. Though I've never owned a mac, I have used them, and have experienced freezes on them too. Only one on #! in the last 2 months, and that I expect is likely due to grub modifications I have made personally, rather than the system itself.

Just a passing comment, but it would be interesting what others think of this, and perhaps some reasons behind the change from the big boss man himself.

dura

well said.

i like it, but if it was putting some users off, then fair enough that it go.

maybe bring it back for the sid version of crunchbang.  then it's much more fitting.

Last edited by Digit (2012-11-19 00:41:55)

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#33 2012-11-19 03:05:17

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Still like hammering my fist into the table and saying "CRUNCH! BANG!" in a loud (you can hear me from 15 meters away) voice. Kind of like a little kid on stuff like that...  monkey

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer