SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-05 07:51:35

leahkim

Failed to start X server(likely not set up correctly)

8o Hello to everyone,

I know this is really stupid, but I really do need some help with my problem. I read most of the threads here with the same issue but it seems that some steps in fixing this problem are specific on what type of pc hardware, #! lite is installed.

So it has failed to start the X server. I'm really new to this linux world and this is the first OS I installed because it seems to have a good support and background.

I checked for the details and it says, "Fatal server error: no screen found"

there are two things that I am hoping to find in posting this redundant topic.

1. Hope somebody can help me out with this problem.

2. Hope someone can provide me links to info about this type of graphic interface, other alternatives and things that i can use to properly understand this type of OS.

things that I aim for.

1st - Achieve/Receive the two given hopes.

and 2nd - Share #! with people here in my country as an alternative to pricey OS that requires heavy duty hardware. There is no single soul here that I have seen that is using Linux OS. So I hope that I can start and share #! because it's compatible with most, if not all PCs that has been given up hope by others.

PS. Can someone provide me the script or command to know what type of video card my netbook has??I do am sorry for this additional topic and thanks in advance for those who can help.

Last edited by leahkim (2012-11-05 07:53:00)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-05 16:39:23

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Re: Failed to start X server(likely not set up correctly)

Post output of these command, please:

uname -r
lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 vga 

The first command will show us which kernel version you are using,
The second command will give some details about your graphics card and the kernel driver it is using.

#3 2012-11-09 07:29:18

leahkim

Thank you for the reply. I will try it out later when I get the free time.

I have another question. Do I need to have an internet connection all the time to fix this issue on my netbook? I connect mostly on Wifi since I am always traveling, and it seems that I do not have any idea on how to connect to a Wifi without reaching the Desktop. I can't check if CrunchBang Lite can detect Wifi Signals since I am unable to reach to the point where the desktop shows up on the screen.

If there are commands that can manually connect to a wifi with the X (graphic interface) off, please post it here, thanks.

If all goes well and it can detect Wifi signals, that would be the start for me to properly learn how CrunchBang really works.

I have seen numerous reviews about many Linux distros but this is the best I have seen. After all it has Speed Functionality and Beauty.

#4 2012-11-13 06:10:19

leahkim

Deleted

Last edited by leahkim (2012-11-16 06:01:00)

#5 2012-11-16 05:59:57

leahkim

xaos52 wrote:

Post output of these command, please:

uname -r
lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 vga 

The first command will show us which kernel version you are using,
The second command will give some details about your graphics card and the kernel driver it is using.

@ uname -r
3.2.0-2-486
@lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300] : Intel Corporation  N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086: a011]
Subsystem: Micro-Start International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:1031]
Kernel driver in use: i915
I am using MSI U135DX Netbook
I've been using LMDE right now and it just makes me wanna get my hands on #! more. If I use the full version of #! not the lite one, will it have the same result?I was thinking that maybe it's because of some drivers that is not included in lite that makes this problem?

If I need to be connected to the internet and install some drivers for this to work, I think I won't be able to do that since I rely much on Wifi. Still I am not losing hope and still waiting until I will be able to use #! on my netbook. It will be the only OS that I'll be using if things work out for me.

thank you for the patience and support.

PS. Currently downloading the Original/Full Version of #! 32bit (stable/no backport release)

Board footer