SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-14 16:19:39

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Windows 8 Guinea Pig

@Generation0 (joek):  OT, but what are they calling the next generation anyway?

On-topic:  I've only seen screenshots of Metro.  Honestly, I don't really care for how it looks.

Last edited by pvsage (2012-10-14 16:21:11)

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2012-10-14 16:20:46

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

^ Gen Z, I assume, or is that this current gen? I'd just call em all iDegenerates.

el_koraco wrote:

All x86 machines must allow for secure boot to be disabled, as per the MS certification scheme.

The only sure things in life are death and incompetent OEMs. Lets hope the OEMs comply in this case.
Also, I understand that MS mandates the reverse for ARM. All machines must NOT allow secure boot to be disabled. Correct?

Last edited by gutterslob (2012-10-14 16:26:41)

Point & Squirt

#28 2012-10-14 16:53:26

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

gutterslob wrote:

Also, I understand that MS mandates the reverse for ARM. All machines must NOT allow secure boot to be disabled. Correct?

Correct

#29 2012-10-14 19:23:38

ew
#! Die Hard

iamnutz wrote:

^^ good point but if one were to dig deeper they will find options in "group policy" to change/modify win8 screens wink
I had mine boot to a login screen and then right to the search panel with the nice list of all programs, even easier than the old start button where ya have to click-click-click to get to programs..... no scrolling,no stretching, it was all there including programs I installed....automatically dropped in. As far as boot, I saved a old program called bootitng that includes a (E)MBR script to deploy an img to any partition I set up in the EMBR boot loader which I believe will bypass the secure boot thingie whilst still providing win8 OS on newer machines..... I'll play with that when it all happens

The missing startbutton is not a "biggie" for me either, there are lots of things that can replace that, and I have never launched applications that way anyhow. My problem is to see why I should upgrade from W7 to W8 if I`m gonna use it the same way as I always have.

I also dislike MS agenda with this OS, and that why I refuse to use it, even if I could configure it to my satisfaction. Most people will have to use it out of the box, and have no ability to configure anything. They will have to use their laptops as a oversized smartphone, and a really ugly one too:)

Windows are all about working in and with windows. Fullscreen apps in metro is a big step away from that, and regular users would actually experience many linux-dsitros as more familiar than W8 with metro.

- Vacant account

#30 2012-10-14 19:48:24

mynis01
#! Die Hard

el_koraco wrote:
gutterslob wrote:

Correct

Also worth pointing out: Windows RT or Windows 8 on ARM or whatever you want to call it, will not be able to run apps that don't pass M$'s certication process and come from the Windows 8 app store. In the long run, this is probably a lot bigger deal than secure boot.

#31 2012-10-14 21:00:24

iamnutz
#! Member

@joek just dont do like me and try to be father of the country, i.e. , one in every state lol ..it gets expensive!

@ew I totally agree, I myself would not consider upgrading to win8 nor would I want a new machine with it pre-installed, I would hope everyone has their win7 dvd sitting close by if they want windows. It will be interesting to see what the win-hackers do to win8 though

#32 2012-10-14 21:37:07

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I actually think having an Intel based Windows 8 tablet could be pretty badass. Intel's power saving technology is slowly but surely becoming competitive with that of the ARM based chips, and you could run anything that runs on a Windows desktop on it (photoshop, autoCAD, protools, cubase, GuildWars2) and probably even dual boot with Linux. Unless you count android, there really aren't any good touchscreen WMs for Linux out there, so I'm not sure why you would even care about there being secure boot on surface tablets and stuff like that. Plus, the UEFI code is open source and BSD licensed, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if in time you see people writing unlocked images that you can flash to your board. When I have some cash laying around I very well might end up getting one of those think-pad convertible tablets.

Board footer