SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-11 16:37:27

y2kcorvette

SpiderOak, Is anyone using it for backups?

Not sure if SpiderOak has been discussed in the past, but I just stumbled across it in the web as another free (up to 2 GB) online backup similar to dropbox. I just installed it on my netbook and does not seem to use much system resources.

Anyone else using it?

Last edited by y2kcorvette (2010-02-11 16:37:50)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-02-14 04:38:37

ExocTBlid

Re: SpiderOak, Is anyone using it for backups?

Well, I've been using DropBox, but I'm looking into this and am intrigued.  I'm going to try it out.

Thanks for pointing it out!

~Xoc

~ Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to. ~

#3 2012-10-11 15:40:35

LanceSanford

As the SpiderOak encryption key is stored locally, what happens if the hard drive crashes?

I don't like the SpiderOak folder synchronisation.

WORLDBACKUPDAY gives 5GB at registration. Another 1GB through referral link. Get in touch when required.

#4 2012-10-11 16:21:24

buri

LanceSanford wrote:

As the SpiderOak encryption key is stored locally, what happens if the hard drive crashes?

Yes, when you install on new pc spideroak will created new key using your password - never lose a passowrd.

Archbang x86
Very very poor english

#5 2012-10-11 17:39:19

JasonMHall

For ease of use, I don't recommend SpiderOak.  I gave it a shot for a while, but ultimately ended my use.  I saw lapses in syncs between two systems, and while the encryption lured me in... what is file sharing/backup if it doesn't operate correctly?  I ended up switching to Google Drive and used inSync in Ubuntu to have a local folder.

#6 2012-10-11 18:29:09

dura
Bloated Gimp

I used it for a bit when I was finishing off my Ph.D. I had about 4 cloud systems backing stuff up. Got a bit anxious/obsessive it seems.

Spideroak was ok. Nothing fancy. I use #! as my everyday production system, and just use dropbox mostly. I have also been experimenting with google drive to write documents, which has been working pretty well so far. I've also set up an owncloud on a raspberry pi. Apparently you can sync drop box and owncloud.

The sync thing with spideroak is pretty good- but dropbox, google drive, and loads more FOSS alternatives are out there.

I gave up on spideroak in the end, and just am generally more careful with saves.

I guess a problem with spideroak as well is that you assume your work is safe, when it might not be. Don't know if the company is doing very well, so it might all disappear perhaps one day. Don't think dropbox or google will.

#7 2012-10-11 18:31:12

dura
Bloated Gimp

if size and free cloud is what youre looking for, Adrive provide a massive 50gb for free.

Of course, you could just set up owncloud and then you decide how much space and upload sizes you have (I got 2gb uploads configured and what- 1tb of space if I wanted it)

#8 2012-10-11 19:07:37

omns
#! wanderer

I've tried spideroak but in the end always come back to good old Dropbox. It's the best in terms of features in its web based client. I use it this way daily at work and it's uquite seamless. Add to that the 20gb bonus they gave me with my HTC One and I don't thnk I'll be going anywhere soon smile

#9 2012-10-11 19:49:47

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

Hmm. Do I admit this?

Yes. I downloaded Spideroak months ago but couldn't work out how to use it...

duh big_smile

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before ~ Mae West

#10 2012-10-11 20:03:30

cra1g321
#! CrunchBanger

I tried it out not so long ago, what put me off was the CPU usuage whenever it was encrypting the data before uploading.

Since the data i'm syncing isn't that important , i switched back to dropbox as it's easier to use.

I have 6.9GB of space on a free account cool

only using 25% of it lol

Dual-booting Linux & win7

#11 2012-10-11 20:59:16

dura
Bloated Gimp

WORLDBACKUPDAY gives 5GB at registration. Another 1GB through referral link. Get in touch when required.

Doesn't look that great. Just a load of big names and some fancy marketing spam

#12 2012-10-12 05:50:43

oupsemma
#! Junkie

There are detailed reviews of  a few computer backup systems and services on this site,if one is interested:
http://pcbackupreview.com/reviews/

My 2 cents: don't ever put anything in a place that has a server in the US ; their laws will one day or the other enable them to access your data.

#Linux user 482038, eeepc 901 with #!, freed 901Go with Trisquel & gNewSense,
901 with Manjaro & ArchBang

#13 2012-10-12 08:09:40

LanceSanford

I currently use LiveMesh and Dropbox. Unfortunately, LiveMesh is going to be discontinued. I really enjoyed that I can synchronize just about any folder on my HD. I look for similar functionality.

SpiderOak seems to require two PCs to synchronize between them. I, however, only want to synchronize between my main PC and the cloud. It seems that if I use SpiderOak only on one PC, I am really at risk of loosing data given that there is no way to recover the encryption key if something happens to the HD.

Dropbox is nice but I don't like the one single folder approach. Dropbox will only be around as long as they manage to keep the edge.

@omns: How did you get the 20GB. I have got 50GB on Box via an offer but it is also limited to only one synced folder.

As an alternative to LiveMesh, I consider SugarSync.

#14 2012-10-12 11:31:56

omns
#! wanderer

LanceSanford wrote:

@omns: How did you get the 20GB.

Acquired the new phone on a plan. Logged into Dropbox via phone. 20gb added smile

#15 2012-10-13 05:38:11

shem
#! Member

LanceSanford wrote:

SpiderOak seems to require two PCs to synchronize between them. I, however, only want to synchronize between my main PC and the cloud. It seems that if I use SpiderOak only on one PC, I am really at risk of loosing data given that there is no way to recover the encryption key if something happens to the HD.

Hm, nope, not true. I use SpiderOak to both backup and synchronize two very important files for me. I can (and have done) get them from SpiderOak any time I want (provided I have internet, not blessed with 24/7 connection) and on any computer I want. Just use the browser and login on their website with same info as used in the SpiderOak application... Of course, if I read their terms correctly, I think if you do that, the "Zero-knowledge" promise isn't valid anymore as your password is then on their servers. I also use SpiderOak to synchronize those 2 files between different OS's on my main pc and to the wifes laptop. But yes, the interface in SpiderOaks application is a bit confusing and illogical, but I can live with that.

Last edited by shem (2012-10-13 05:42:24)

Board footer