SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-11 14:50:27

damionhh

greetings folks. i am a new user...

hey there crunchbang community!  i have been off of the microsoft/apple teat for about a year, and its been a lot of fun.  first there was fedora, then ubuntu, then mint/cinnamon and finally now with crunchbang.  its been an interesting progression as i worry less and less about what my compositor can do/what wallpapers look like and more about privacy and speed and efficiency.  its a nice piece of work and i appreciate the aesthetic a lot.  there is a steep learning curve to it, and im still a bit lost in linux when it comes to device drivers (depmod and all that) and the DNS/mail/network internals but im getting it.

i had to use statler to install since i could seem to figure out the installer in the waldorf image.  assuming i am updating regularly, am i getting the waldorf stuff or is there a way to upgrade to the waldorf "testing" code without having to redo all my installation?

thanks guys.  see you around.
d.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-11 16:17:56

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: greetings folks. i am a new user...

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community damionhh, we are glad to have you!

The recommended procedure for updating is a new install.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-10-11 16:32:44

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #! damionhh smile

What is the update/upgrade path from Squeeze to Wheezy? New install as well?

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

#4 2012-10-11 16:54:03

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #! smile

Type [sudo geany //etc/apt/sources.list] into the terminal.

Find/Replace Squeeze to Wheezy... and save.

Then apt-get update and dist-upgrade. Could take a while...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#5 2012-10-11 16:55:01

dura
Bloated Gimp

Welcome Mr!

Do you miss suckling on the warm teat of MS and apple? smile

#6 2012-10-11 17:45:43

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

damionhh wrote:

there is a steep learning curve to it, and im still a bit lost in linux when it comes to device drivers (depmod and all that) and the DNS/mail/network internals but im getting it.

Well, you came to the right place, damionhh. The forums are full of answers to some of the questions you haven't asked yet (you can search in the upper right) and you should get an answer to the questions you will have.

Oh, and welcome to CrunchBang. We're glad you found us and enjoy your stay.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#7 2012-10-12 16:04:02

damionhh

well i realized that i AM running waldorf. 
its good to be at the forefront, at the head of the pack, up to date and all that.  i added the backport source and pretty much everything is running great. 

i took some time last night and toyed with the settings for the panel icons (tint2) and that was fun, i got conky doing what i want also.  apparently i am the commander of my own ship. 

thanks for your replies, guys. and yes, D!, i do sometimes miss the warm and secure teat of MS and Apple but once i learned it wasnt that secure, and once i realized that im a grown up and dont need software companies to hold my hand while i pee, i have been a lot happier.

#8 2012-10-12 16:13:24

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

I always get a kick out of hearing when somebody understands that everything in Linux really is just a txt-file...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer