SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-10-11 06:38:00

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Buying new laptop, what should...

^ Not a whole lot to Witchcraft actually...make "God" plural, with different aspects of nature associated with each deity, substitute "spell" for "prayer", act like it's based on "lost wisdom" of the Druids, and there you are.  Oh, wait...you meant the Samantha/Endora or P3 kind of witchcraft. tongue

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2012-10-11 13:04:35

dura
Bloated Gimp

This thread has become a humorous tangent. I think the general suggestion, quite clearly, in terms of what laptop you should get is a Thinkpad. I trust what el koroco says, and really, really, really like my x121e and the thinkpad range. All intel is good- intel is now in the linux foundation so actively contribute to their products working with linux. That's the theory anyway. There is, as el koroco suggest, lots of thinkpad specific stuff in the kernel and repository that makes tps work good.

Oh, and they're black (like nightrider), and they sometimes have red nipples (which are fun and useful- I don't ever use my touchpad- they suck).

#53 2012-10-11 13:05:53

dura
Bloated Gimp

Are we Linux users pagans? Or are we dancers?

#54 2012-10-11 13:52:42

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

^ Neither. We're all Luddites.

Now about that laptop............

My 2 cents. Get something cheap with generally uncomplicated hardware, but don't cheap out so much that you settle for wireless made by Hitler (aka Broadcom). Now I'm the last person who'll support this whole "disposable computing" trend of late (started by smartphones) but at this point in time, with the whole laptop segment being in a state of major flux, I wouldn't recommend spending more than the bare minimum needed (for yourself and your work), saving as much as possible for the future when/if your needs change.

Unless you plan to do some crazy image or video editing (in which case you'd be using a Mac) or high-end gaming (in which case you'd be on Windows or holding out for what Steam plan to introduce), a previous-gen Core i3/i5 with decent RAM and Intel or Atheros wireless would be good enough. I'd go so far as to suggest you pick up a model that's been out on the market for a few months, that way you'd have given Linus and Co enough time to include relevant blobs into the mainline kernel, plus it'd be cheaper than the bleeding-edge ones.

One "luxury" I would suggest is a SSD if you can afford it, but buy your own after enough research (Plextor or Intel are my personal recommendations). Nothing gives you a bigger gain in performance than a SSD. It's not the end of the world if you can't afford (or can't justify) getting one, though.

Edit:
One consideration you'll have to make and do some research on is that whole locked bootloader/UEFI policy mandated by Windows 8 for new hardware. If you're buying a model with Windows 7 (or better yet, no OS or FreeDOS), then you're off the hook, but I'm not sure how easy it is to install a distro on these new Win8-friendly UEFI rigs. Might be nothing, but it's best you do some checking to be safe.

Last edited by gutterslob (2012-10-11 14:00:23)

Point & Squirt

#55 2012-10-11 14:39:21

pvsage
Internal Affairs

d! wrote:

Are we Linux users pagans? Or are we dancers?

The Killers, right? wink  I'd say we're definitely *not* Hunteresque "dancers"; otherwise, we'd be using Win* on whatever laptop catches our fancy rather than looking deeper and picking a laptop based on whether its hardware is supported well in Linux.

In general:
- well-supported wifi (i.e. not Broadcom or Realtek)
- decent GPU (i.e. intel or nVidia)
- well-known onboard audio

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#56 2012-10-11 18:09:02

falldown
#! Samurai

Sorry about pulling this off topic, but
pvsage if you are interested in the powerline network adapter kit..
It can simply be unplugged and moved into whichever room you are in. (although the units must be used in a direct current.. ie share the same fuse box)
They offer units for whatever your price range may be.
Very little is lost in network connection speed... for instance my brother in law uses it to stream netflix to his flatscreen.

Might be worth checking it out sir. big_smile

#57 2012-10-12 00:00:34

ew
#! Die Hard

merelyjim wrote:

ASK the Tech guy at the store which runs Linux well.

Lots of places that work on computers have a few LiveCD's or bootable Flash-drives for getting into machines that have Windows broken. Booting into KNOPPIX and taking the machine out for a test-drive does the machine no harm, and since it's based on Debian, #! should run well, too. I've done this while working at the store [Office Depot], but only after the store manager has left - he thinks I'm getting ready to summon a demon everytime I pull out my flash-drive. tongue

The Tech guys around here knows less than me.  I am a tech guy myself, and have worked with and on computers for 30 years. It is just linux which is relatively new for me. Nobody sells and services linux-pc`s here. The geeks that do use Linux, are more than capable to handle everything themselves, so they would never contact a computershop for service, repairs or advice. That would be the ultimate defeat:)

I could of course test a lot of computers with Live CD, and that way find out if wireless and things like that work. But you don`t get a real feel of what the OS-performance is on a pc, before you actually install it. The only thing that makes the choice a bit difficult is that Linux is a little behind on hybrid graphics, gpt and efi, and ssd with trim-support etc.... I don`t get to test those aspects by a live-cd. So I guess the best advice so far, is to choose a pc that is not using any cutting-edge technology...

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer