SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1726 2012-10-06 22:27:05

holden
#! Member

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

Been hopping also. A lot in the past year. A lot.
Seems as i've settled on Debian Squeeze. In the end, i was torn between Squeeze and #!. Loved the way my computer behaved with #!, but if i have extra ram and cpu, and use it as a desktop computer, don't know if it would be an advantage actually. So, basically, i don't know big_smile

'Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink' - Charles Bukowski

Be excellent to each other!

#1727 2012-10-07 10:12:07

a3e6u9

I'm going to copy here what I said in the introductions section:

I've started using Linux in 2006. I tried it earlier than that, but Slackware was not exactly the best choice. Anyway, after a few failed attempts with Mandriva, Fedora and some other distros that I can't remember, I finally discovered PCLinuxOS, which was like a breath of fresh air and this is where my journey began.

After a while I've used openSUSE 10.2, then PCLinuxOS 2007 (amazing release). By then I was a big fan of KDE 3, but, alas, KDE 4 appeared and I went to Ubuntu.

In this period I got my hands on an old laptop with only 128 MB of RAM (which does not accept more), so I started to search for lightweight distros, beginning with Zenwalk, Puppy, Antix, etc. At one point I decided to try Debian, so I did a CLI netinstall and I was amazed that I managed to do it and installed Xorg, fluxbox, etc. From that point I was hooked on Debian.

I liked Debian with fluxbox so much, that I installed it on my main laptop and used it since, but I did use Lubuntu for a while, when it appeared, and CrunchBang since February. Right now I'm using plain Debian with openbox on both laptops, but #! is great and when I need a liveCD or a quick install, I just install #!

To me, #! is the perfect distro, because it's basically Debian configured: stable, lightweight, very configurable and easy to use. It could be prettier by default, but I can live with that.

DON'T PANIC!

#1728 2012-10-07 10:26:25

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

I've tried the Gnome 3 live CD? With 3.6, I think that one's based on Fedora. Gnome 3 is starting to make sense with the program menu and stuff.

#1729 2012-10-07 21:40:18

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

so, i somehow choked out my laptop.  i think it was when trying to run spring, or something.  i'll spare the gruesome details of that.  while rebooting (i could have just restarted X), i thought i'd try the artistx dvd i'd tried on the workstation, here on my laptop...

if failed on the workstation (as i mentioned in an edit in my last DHA confessional), but here it works.  i'm using it to type this right now (in konqueror no less. lol, it's been a long time)

i dont even know if this is gnome or kde i'm in, it's rather sleekly done, as you'd expect from a distro made for artists, and thus almost certainly by at least some artists too.  it's not gonna be a minger.  wink

but i have looked through it's menu... and that's what's got me excitedly bounding back to post about it again.

if you're an artist, and you like to always have all the tools on hand for that moment of inspiration when that one obscure app becomes the right tool for the job, and not want to have to clearly remember the names of them, nor have to go install them... then this is for you.

infact, this would be a great distro for loads of peeps who dont really consider themselves artists, but may at least have some kind of dabble with some kind of multimedia (er, or monomedia?).

i can already think of one windows refugee i'm going to go recommend it to already.  ~er, even though his box doesnt like debian (or ubuntu) based distros... drat.  that ruins that idea... well, folks in his situation at least, minus the box-no-like-deb stuff of course.   sorry, i'm babbling...

anyways, a big happy salute, from this artist, at artistx.  past times i recall it was shabbier than this.  that's always impressive when a distro actually gets better over time.  more rare than you might think.  wink wink

i am seriously impressed with the selection of tools though.  really must stress that.  perusing that menu is like artist catnip.

now i'm kinda torn between...

do i...

install all that, in my crunchbang?

or...

install it
&
install my window managers and configs i use from crunchbang...

... but... install to where?  over where crunchbang is?  try to squeeze it's install on my only spare pendrive... it's only 8gb... n considering the dvd is something like 3.8...  no.  doubt it.

drat...

looks like best option is to go take notes of it all and install it on my crunchbang.

hrmm, i know it's ubuntu based, but i wonder if i could just pinch the installed apps list from artistx, and install it over crunchbang...  yes, bloater desktop environments and all.

[EDIT: http://ompldr.org/iZnNsaQ see the way?  ... hehe, i think that should work. wink ]

i feel that urge to a have an "everything and the kitchen sink" install again.

i'll never use hardly any of it... but it's just nice it's there.  and having the likes of kde and gnome... well... that would just give more credence to my cheeky dismissive and/or insulting remarks to emphasize my distaste for them.

at least then i could show i know what i'm talking about, and not just holding old grudges.  XD

no one could accuse me of being a xmonadtard.  XD

... i think i have the distroholic rages n sweats.  distro-fever.  taking a funny turn from too much distro surfing/hopping after a prolonged abstinence.

Last edited by Digit (2012-10-07 22:28:36)

#1730 2012-10-08 01:33:40

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

@Digit says

admiring absolutelinux.  ~ now without a bloater office suite, and now with spacefm.

I think if it had a liveCD and I had used it that I would have installed it years ago.
However with Salix it is hard to find a better little Slackware installer...

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#1731 2012-10-09 02:44:55

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

indeed.  salix could be described as "the premier deltaware of slack".

a nice little leg-up for the timid.

speaking of which, if you've not been keeping tabs on bedrock, you might have missed: http://blog.politeia.in/2012/08/bedrock-linux.html

see in there.... very tempting leg-ups into bedrock, without the hard work.  pre-made versions, as an empty core, ready for clients, or one with arch, one with deb arch and gentoo... how can u resist?

heh... maybe that's what i should do... get a bedrock with both an artistx for ubuntu compatibility, a crunchbang for debian compatability, an arch/parabola/whatever, and a gentoo and an exherbo and a slack an~    damnit...  it seems like such a good idea, but then i hear myself, and it sounds like such manic excesses.  or at least opening the door to such manic excesses.

#1732 2012-10-14 06:05:19

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

Do you want to test a few different WMs?
Here is Linux BBQ Oyster  that offers an 'estimated' 40(yes I did say 40) different ones.
I think it is an estimate as the community is still working on adding more!

http://www.linuxbbq.org/release_linuxbb … oyster.php
http://linuxnoob.freeforums.org/roastin … -t291.html

#1733 2012-10-14 15:55:53

oupsemma
#! Junkie

^ I've downloaded Oyster and am truly impressed by the work! All these window managers to test, a real dream!
  I wasn't aware some members of CrunchBang forums were working on Linuxbbq; I take my hat off to them, it's truly amazing, keep up the good work! smile

#Linux user 482038, eeepc 901 with #!, freed 901Go with Trisquel & gNewSense,
901 with Manjaro & ArchBang

#1734 2012-10-14 19:07:24

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

^HOT OFF THE PRESS!
Oyster 0.5 available within a few hours...

#1735 2012-10-14 19:27:58

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Thank you!

It's only 39 sessions, not 40. smile

Here's the updated link, uploading now:
http://linuxnoob.freeforums.org/post5130.html#p5130

#1736 2012-10-14 19:45:58

chameleon
UK #! Guy
Website

Cool Mr. Bacon cool

#1737 2012-10-14 20:46:27

oupsemma
#! Junkie

^^ Cool, downloading it right now!

#Linux user 482038, eeepc 901 with #!, freed 901Go with Trisquel & gNewSense,
901 with Manjaro & ArchBang

#1738 2012-10-15 22:01:26

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

i already have about that many installed...

... is there something worthy about their configurations that i should go check it out?  or am i just as good having dozens of wm installed on crunchbang?

#1739 2012-10-15 22:33:25

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
Nothing really special, but lots of choices means you can pick what you like best.
There has to be something other than Openbox and Xfce...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#1740 2012-10-16 02:19:06

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Digit wrote:

i already have about that many installed...

Well aren't you special? smile

But seriously, for those users who don't already have "that many installed" the BBQ release is quite interesting...

(thanks for the pointer chameleon, checking it out now)

and 64-bit, if you care: http://linuxnoob.freeforums.org/post5197.html#p5197

Last edited by porkpiehat (2012-10-16 02:39:06)

#1741 2012-10-16 03:28:20

UHM
Banned

Been through them all and most of them are naff with something somewhere always not what you want or over-hyped.  My favourites are Crunchbang, MacPuppy and ZorinOS6.  I cannot stand Mint or Ubuntu.

#1742 2012-10-16 03:51:52

pidsley
Window Mangler

Um, we're talking about window managers, not distros, and whatever you think about Mint and Ubuntu is not relevant. Hating Mint and Ubuntu is way too easy. And seriously, you've been through them all? CRUX, sourcemage, lunar, draco, and all the other tiny obscure distros? Wow, you should write a book, or at least a thread about your experiences.

Last edited by pidsley (2012-10-16 03:52:54)

#1743 2012-10-16 03:55:50

UHM
Banned

pidsley wrote:

Um, we're talking about window managers, not distros, and whatever you think about Mint and Ubuntu is not relevant. Hating Mint and Ubuntu is way too easy. And seriously, you've been through them all? CRUX, sourcemage, lunar, draco, and all the other tiny obscure distros? Wow, you should write a book, or at least a thread about your experiences.

Everything is relevent to someone out there who can see past Mint and Ubuntu.  Do you think I want to hate Mint and Ubuntu?  I wish they were good but they are just overhyped like most things today.  Being at Crunchbang I would have thought you would have had a better mind frame than this.

The topic is distro hopping not window managers.  I can certainly say that window manager used by most claiming to be lightweight actually sucks.  You know that lame Lubuntu, ZorinOS lightweight etc, vile!  Openbox is much better.

Last edited by UHM (2012-10-16 03:57:11)

#1744 2012-10-16 03:58:01

pidsley
Window Mangler

Not file managers, window managers. At least read the few posts above yours before you find another reason to hype Zorin.
(oh, I see you did finally read the thread and changed your post. good for you) and there are many window managers more lightweight than openbox. Check it out: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … n-30-days/

Last edited by pidsley (2012-10-16 04:00:14)

#1745 2012-10-16 03:59:44

UHM
Banned

pidsley wrote:

Not file managers, window managers. At least read the few posts above yours before you find another reason to hype Zorin.

if you did not reply so fast you would see I edited my message before you sent this message above.  Its not my fault that ZorinOS6 blows Mint and Ubuntu out of the water.  I use it and Crunchbang, I would not dream of using anything else especially Mint its vile!

#1746 2012-10-16 04:01:02

pidsley
Window Mangler

And if you did not reply so fast you would see my edits. I'm done arguing with you. Good luck with Zorin and Krusader.

#1747 2012-10-16 04:02:06

omns
#! wanderer

UHM, please see my PM that I'm sending in a few moments.

#1748 2012-10-16 04:08:32

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

@digit
Sorry..........Just noticed your post and reference to the blog..
Took a look at the Bedrock images.. interesting.
Never installed Bedrock Linux..
Thanks

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#1749 2012-10-16 04:23:52

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

merelyjim wrote:

^
Nothing really special, but lots of choices means you can pick what you like best.

Have you tried it yet? Tested the bbq-tools? Found the Easter Eggs? big_smile We have configured most of the WMs there, so they do work as expected (all WMs have working panels or root menus, are linked to the bbqtools and the cookbook). If this is 'nothing really special' then I don't know. hmm

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#1750 2012-10-16 11:17:10

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^ Sorry, poor choice of words on my part...

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

Board footer