SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-23 10:19:08

gurnarok
Website

[USELESS] GMA500 aka Poulsbo performance, VLC or GMplayer

Hi guys, I just installed Waldorf yesterday on my laptop that has a Poulsbo driver, everything seems to work nice and the resolution is correct. Now, I was wondering how do I figure out, is the driver performing well. Since I am mostly going to use the laptop as my train computer, watching movies and writing stuff while in train (8 to 12 hours per direction).

Should I install VLC instead of Gnome MPlayer. I tried to watch a movie on fullscreen, to test the performance, but MPlayer didn't scale up.

What info do you guys want to see about my comp.

Last edited by gurnarok (2012-08-23 15:36:41)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-08-23 14:31:25

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: [USELESS] GMA500 aka Poulsbo performance, VLC or GMplayer

gurnarok wrote:

Hi guys, I just installed Waldorf yesterday on my laptop that has a Poulsbo driver, everything seems to work nice and the resolution is correct.

My jaw just hit my keyboard shelf; both are broken now. yikes

My experience with VLC even on Intel video that "plays well with Linux" is...not good.  However, VLC is a small, quick install, and if you decide you don't want it, it's easy to purge.  (EDIT:  That last "VLC" was supposed to be "Gnome-Mplayer".)

Last edited by pvsage (2012-10-07 02:34:55)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2012-08-23 15:36:16

gurnarok
Website

True, did some testing and noticed that GMplayer works fine, if I keep the movie in it's original size. My screen is already small so normal vids will show up as decent size for viewing, and I have a black background so it doesen't bother the watching tongue

But yeah, I started thinking and I think this is a stupid thread, so I am going to throw it as "Useless"

#4 2012-08-23 15:45:27

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Actually, I think this thread is incredibly valuable - Poulsbo has been a thorn in the sides of many Linux users, and it's important to know that Waldorf/Wheezy work on it with no issues.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#5 2012-10-06 23:33:51

neandergeek

I agree NOT Useless.  I like Crunchbang, but switched to Fedora16 on my 11" netbook because I couldn't get native resolution to work with Statler (updates in 16 included a kernel with Alan Cox's GMA500/Poulsbo driver).  I'll put Waldorf on it this weekend and report back.

#6 2012-10-12 06:35:45

neandergeek

I put the Waldorf 20120927 testing image on my Acer Aspire One A0751h and aside from my usual missteps setting up the encrypted partitions it went smoothly.  There were a couple of hiccups running the welcome script that required me to run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to fix the package update/install glitches.  The Gma500 driver in the up to date kernel is working at native 1366x768 resolution.  Mplayer gripes my machine is slow but plays video files adequately if I don't try to scale them to full screen.

The one odd thing is that the brightness function key pop up the little widget showing the brightness bar moving back and forth but it does not change the brightness.

I found an Ubuntu forums post that said  to echo a value from 0 to 100 into /sys/class/backlight/eeepc/brightness to set the brightness.  For my machine it is actually /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness but echoing the value in there works.   I've been looking around in the various config files trying to find what command is being executed for the brightness controls to see if I can simply point it at the right place, but I haven't found it yet.

#7 2012-10-12 13:56:53

iamnutz
#! Member

neandergeek wrote:

The one odd thing is that the brightness function key pop up the little widget showing the brightness bar moving back and forth but it does not change the brightness.

I found an Ubuntu forums post that said  to echo a value from 0 to 100 into /sys/class/backlight/eeepc/brightness to set the brightness.  For my machine it is actually /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness but echoing the value in there works.   I've been looking around in the various config files trying to find what command is being executed for the brightness controls to see if I can simply point it at the right place, but I haven't found it yet.

Does the Fn volume popup work? The brightness bar might not seem to do mch initially, however the values exceed the bar limits- press the Fn darken keys and hold until screen gets dark even though the bar may be @ the low end, the value will continue past that point, same with brighten and same with volume control. With volume u may have to hold Fn key and "pump" the up/down key for desired level

#8 2012-10-12 15:03:37

neandergeek

Thanks for the suggestion.  The volume popup works properly.  I tried repeatedly hitting the darken key and it never affected the brightness.  I then verified that the brightness key doesn not affect the brightness I set by echoing the value into /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness  so my assumption is that the brightness popup is sticking the brightness value into the "normal" place to set laptop brightness and it isn't finding the place the Gma500 kernel driver wants it.  Should I post a request for information on the brightness popup to the broader forums?

#9 2012-10-12 22:52:44

iamnutz
#! Member

neandergeek wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  The volume popup works properly.  I tried repeatedly hitting the darken key and it never affected the brightness.  I then verified that the brightness key doesn not affect the brightness I set by echoing the value into /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness  so my assumption is that the brightness popup is sticking the brightness value into the "normal" place to set laptop brightness and it isn't finding the place the Gma500 kernel driver wants it.  Should I post a request for information on the brightness popup to the broader forums?

I've never had to dig into that file with any distro, but I'm on a acer aspire and I believe the function key is built into the bios as I've never had to map it or otherwise.You might want to start a new thread on this to get noticed by several acer users, also make sure your bios is recent, the latest improved mine drastically

#10 2013-01-25 17:55:51

tengu

@gurnarok

I've got some issue getting GMA500 working on my SONY VAIO X:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24368

I would really appreciate, if you could explain to me how you have configure it.

Cheers  smile

Board footer