SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 21:28:38

DancesWithWords

[SOLVED] Will be Attempting to install on Asus 901 EEEPC

SWell as the title says I'm downloading the Waldorf iso and will be attempting to install it on my asus 901 eeepc.  I'm hoping this works without too many issues.  If not I'll be posting here for help. :-)

--
DWW

Last edited by DancesWithWords (2012-10-08 23:27:02)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-01 00:48:23

DogMatix

Re: [SOLVED] Will be Attempting to install on Asus 901 EEEPC

With an Atom N270 & 1GB of RAM you should be OK. Similar specs to an acer one netbook I run Waldorf on and it copes perfectly well.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#3 2012-10-01 16:07:09

DancesWithWords

DogMatix wrote:

With an Atom N270 & 1GB of RAM you should be OK. Similar specs to an acer one netbook I run Waldorf on and it copes perfectly well.

Tried everything I could thing of but the installation always fails at the package manager setup. I've got it temporarily installed on a SDcard for now.  I really like to figure how to get around this failure. Help would be apprecaited

#4 2012-10-01 16:11:32

pidsley
Window Mangler

"Fails" how exactly ? What error message(s) do you get? What's different about the SDcard (why do you think you were able to install it there, but not on your eeepc)?

Last edited by pidsley (2012-10-01 16:11:42)

#5 2012-10-01 18:33:12

DancesWithWords

pidsley wrote:

"Fails" how exactly ? What error message(s) do you get? What's different about the SDcard (why do you think you were able to install it there, but not on your eeepc)?

At this time I don't know why the install failed the eeepc as the installation just stops at drops you out in the gui.  The sucessfull install on the SDcard was done using unebuntin installer.  This is a compeletly different method of installation and there for is not helpful with the eeepc issue.

Oh, there was not error message presented at moment of failure.

#6 2012-10-01 18:35:25

DancesWithWords

pidsley wrote:

At this time I don't know why the install failed the eeepc as the installation just stops at drops you out in the gui.  The sucessfull install on the SDcard was done using unebuntin installer.  This is a compeletly different method of installation and there for is not helpful with the eeepc issue.

#7 2012-10-01 19:22:13

dura
Bloated Gimp

Tried off usb? checked md5checksum? made a new live sd/usb?

#8 2012-10-01 19:46:42

DogMatix

DancesWithWords wrote:

... The sucessfull install on the SDcard was done using unebuntin installer.  This is a compeletly different method of installation and there for is not helpful with the eeepc issue.

So you're booting into a live session from the SD card.

Have you tried formatting/partitioning the SSD drive of the Asus using Gparted before attempting the install?

I have dug up some reading that maybe of interest to you:
HOWTO - Optimize #! linux for use with a solid state drive by mynis01

Last edited by DogMatix (2012-10-01 20:16:10)

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#9 2012-10-01 21:17:38

DancesWithWords

DogMatix wrote:
DancesWithWords wrote:

... The sucessfull install on the SDcard was done using unebuntin installer.  This is a compeletly different method of installation and there for is not helpful with the eeepc issue.

Have you tried formatting/partitioning the SSD drive of the Asus using Gparted before attempting the install?

Did try to install from CD and SDCard, same failure point in both formats.  I will check out the link provided and get back here with my results.

#10 2012-10-01 21:22:24

dura
Bloated Gimp

Checked md5checksum?

#11 2012-10-01 21:25:32

DancesWithWords

d! wrote:

Checked md5checksum?

Would the installation make it to the point of package manager if there was a Checked md5checksum error/difference?

==
DWW

#12 2012-10-01 21:32:32

dura
Bloated Gimp

thats a possibility. I guess its just good practice... i dont always do it though

#13 2012-10-01 21:39:29

DogMatix

DancesWithWords wrote:
d! wrote:

Checked md5checksum?

Would the installation make it to the point of package manager if there was a Checked md5checksum error/difference?

==
DWW

If you used the same ISO download for both the SD card and CD it would certainly be worth checking to eliminate that possibility.

#14 2012-10-01 23:56:29

DancesWithWords

DogMatix wrote:
DancesWithWords wrote:
d! wrote:

Checked md5checksum?

==
DWW

If you used the same ISO download for both the SD card and CD it would certainly be worth checking to eliminate that possibility.

The checksum is fine.  I should say that I've downloaded several iso's they all produce the same result.

===
DWW

#15 2012-10-02 01:31:27

DancesWithWords

DancesWithWords wrote:
DogMatix wrote:
DancesWithWords wrote:

Did try to install from CD and SDCard, same failure point in both formats.  I will check out the ldink provided and get back here with my results.

Tried the gparted suggestion and it did not work.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Keep them coming.

#16 2012-10-02 19:29:15

DogMatix

When the installation fails. What is GUI it drops to which you referred to in post #5?

Have you tried the text install?

Also, does the failed installation leave a partially installed system? You could check in /var/log/installer on the failed installation (if it exists) to see if any of the contained logs can throw any light on what is happening.

You may also like to read this post - Stuck on "Configure the package manager" in installer. I know it's on about debian but #! is debian under the hood and you may find something of interest.

Last edited by DogMatix (2012-10-02 20:37:53)

#17 2012-10-03 02:48:57

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I've had it installed on my eeePC for a while now and have neglected my tinkering time for other things.
But IIRC, it did the same thing to me except it would boot from the usb but not install. Used the good ol' dd command and it worked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#18 2012-10-03 22:13:59

DogMatix

Koala3 wrote:

I've had it installed on my eeePC for a while now and have neglected my tinkering time for other things.
But IIRC, it did the same thing to me except it would boot from the usb but not install. Used the good ol' dd command and it worked.

Now you mention it I think you're on to a winner there. I believe I had similar issues using crunchbang via a Unetbootin USB. As in, live session worked install didn't. I second trying Koala3's suggestion.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it had something to do with the install trying to read from a CDROM and not the USB.

Last edited by DogMatix (2012-10-03 22:27:04)

#19 2012-10-04 02:51:33

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Woot! It's rare that anyone seconds what I say, you guys should tell my IRL contacts to do the same...
Best of luck to you Dances!

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#20 2012-10-05 00:12:39

DancesWithWords

DogMatix wrote:
Koala3 wrote:

Now you mention it I think you're on to a winner there. I believe I had similar issues using crunchbang via a Unetbootin USB. As in, live session worked install didn't. I second trying Koala3's suggestion.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it had something to do with the install trying to read from a CDROM and not the USB.

Is there instructions on how to us dd to install from my sdcard installation or the CD?

#21 2012-10-05 00:51:47

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Here is a very good guide for dd to a USB..

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/statler … stallation

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#22 2012-10-05 15:21:56

DancesWithWords

VastOne wrote:

I wonder if I could use that guide to go from SDCard to to EEEPC?

==
DWW

#23 2012-10-05 19:27:06

DancesWithWords

VastOne wrote:

Had time to read the howto your recommended.  It looks simple to do the install.  Doesn't say how grub is installed,  but I'll give it a wing.

====
DWW

#24 2012-10-08 23:21:23

DancesWithWords

DancesWithWords wrote:
VastOne wrote:

Had time to read the howto your recommended.  It looks simple to do the install.  Doesn't say how grub is installed,  but I'll give it a wing.

====
DWW

Downloaded a new copy of Waldorf and I was able to get it installed without a problem.  Thanks for everyones help.

=====
DWW

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-10-08 23:22:50

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Great news. DWW... Mark as solved please.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

Board footer