SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-03-13 21:56:00

Ahemait

Re: CrunchBang 10 Statler ISO image to USB in Linux

I´ve tried to create a liveCD on my USB stick using the guide found here http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/statler … tallation.
I downloaded the bittorrent "version" of crunchbag and Win32DiskImage. Fine this far.
I set Win32DiskImage to use xp compability mode (use win 7) and try to start the program. I´ve tried both xp SP 2 and SP 3 mode with the same result. There comes up a popup with the text "Error 8". What is error 8?
When I press "OK" on the popup, the program starts. But when I try to find the image on my drive, can Win32DiskImage only list .img files and there is no other option to chose from the list. But the file from here is a .iso.
How do I make this work?

Last edited by Ahemait (2012-03-13 21:56:31)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2012-03-13 22:23:53

machinebacon
#! unstable

Hello,

you have two choices in Windows (I know of) which work "well":

live.learnfree.eu
linuxliveusb.com

They use ISO files, so simply use the downloaded iso and write on USB with one of these apps. Good luck. (Error 8 in GRUB has something to do with GRUB not finding the kernel or something, by the way)

Edit: updated link

Last edited by machinebacon (2012-05-28 10:00:03)

#53 2012-03-13 22:27:36

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

+1 for linuxliveusb.com

#54 2012-03-14 11:28:18

Ahemait

linuxliveusb.com worked great. thanks big_smile

#55 2012-03-17 14:57:54

Polo
#! Member

So, I followed the dd method and I want to reuse the USB drive as a storage drive but I can't clean this mofo up, not even with GParted. Can anyone help me?

I like to pretend I actually know something

#56 2012-03-17 16:05:15

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Even Device >> Create Partition Table didn't work?

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#57 2012-03-17 16:36:12

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Insert the USB device. Do not mount it.

sudo dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sdd bs=512 count=1

WARNING: Make sure you use the correct device name. I used sdd as an example. Use

dmesg | tail -n 40 

after inserting the drive to find your device name.

Then use your favourite partitioning tool.

hth

#58 2012-03-27 03:32:31

Cinelli

Just finished my install.. Awesome job on the product guys.

I was having the "cdrom detection issue"  as well and a little work around that worked for me was to do the following.
- Boot to the install then when you recieve the error messege that the cd can not be loaded select no on the retry which will bring you to the non-automated installation. On this menu go down to 'Open a command shell' once the shell is up do the following

# mount /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
# cd /cdrom
# cp -a /cdrom/crunchbang/pool /cdrom
# cp -a /cdrom/crunchbang/dists /cdrom

Next, locate your 'crunchbang.cfg' mine was at /multiboot/crunchbang/install/crunchbang.cfg

# nano /cdrom/multiboot/crunchbang/install/
#/multiboot/crunchbang/install/crunchbang.cfg

Next, add this to the top of the configuration file

#cdrom work-around. 
d-i mount /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
d-i cp -a /cdrom/multiboot/crunchbang/dists /cdrom/
d-i cp -a /cdrom/multiboot/crunchbang/pool /cdrom/

CTRL^X to exit, and then Enter to save + overwrite crunchbang.cfg.
type "exit" to exit shell and go back to selection menu and retry to find the files

Hope this helps. It worked out well for me.

Federico Cinelli - CINELLIthoughts.com
CINELLI Motorsports LLC
Stay true.

#59 2012-03-27 07:21:05

axcraig
#! CrunchBanger

Polo wrote:

So, I followed the dd method and I want to reuse the USB drive as a storage drive but I can't clean this mofo up, not even with GParted. Can anyone help me?

Hopefully you have resoved this already but if not...I had the same broblem and IIRC it has something to do with confusion over mounting status. Try to unmont it in the terminal before starting gparted.

sudo umount sdxy 

Where sdxy is the name of your usb stick's mount point.

#60 2012-03-27 09:44:29

xaos52
The Good Doctor

@cinelli:
Thanks for publishing your workaround. smile
I bookmarked it. Until now no one provided a solution to this problem as far as I know.
x

Last edited by xaos52 (2012-03-27 09:45:34)

#61 2012-03-27 14:13:38

Cinelli

xaos52 wrote:

@cinelli:
Thanks for publishing your workaround. smile
I bookmarked it. Until now no one provided a solution to this problem as far as I know.
x

It worked for me give it a shot let me know how it works out for you. I tested 6 USB sticks and a number of programs to make them...

The problem is that Crunchbox is looking for the files in it's /cdrom/* directory which is only there during the Installation..

I used Pen Drive Linux and Lili USB Creator and Unetbootin to make my test USBs

and lets just say for example Pen Drive places all distros in CDROM_DRIVE/multiboot/

the Installer doesn't automount the usb stick anywhere and you can't switch to consol at the beginning of the install and mount it because it's being used. But when you get the error the installer will auto-dissmount the drive and now you can just go ahead and mount it to /cdrom/ and then get to the directory housing folders distro & pool & live ...

Since it doesn't matter if you copy anything extra over unless your really pressed for space then just do the following

NOTE: assuming your using pen drive and the directory setup was like mine was.

mount /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
cp -a /cdrom/multiboot/crunchbox /cdrom/ 

then just retry

Last edited by Cinelli (2012-03-27 23:51:01)

CINELLI Motorsports LLC
Stay true.

#62 2012-03-27 14:58:23

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Well, my own system is old, and I can not boot from USB.
That is why I was not able to debug it.
So thanks again for doing it for us.
I am sure a couple of guys here will be interested in trying this out.
x

#63 2012-03-31 21:05:50

Lastcoder
#! Member

Hi,

all I did was (assuming /dev/sdb is your usbstick ..)

sudo dd if=crunchbang.iso of=/dev/sdb

and it worked and works always with multiboot images .. (tried different distros this way like salix, xubuntu, aptosid and so on)

And today I simply installed #! from a live-usb-stick to another 8GB usb stick .. which principally worked (I have some issues on other machines with that usb install) .. installer asks where to install Grub .. wants to install it to hard drive, but you can choose another location manually ..

Greetz

LastCoder

Last edited by Lastcoder (2012-03-31 21:20:56)

#64 2012-04-01 14:58:20

xaos52
The Good Doctor

^ This does not seem to work for some users. Dunno why.

#65 2012-04-01 20:09:17

Cinelli

and some users just dont have the option of dd fir whatever reason..

i dont understand why everyone is replying with "just dd if of" and it'll work... we know this will work. it's in the howto's it's all over google..

CINELLI Motorsports LLC
Stay true.

#66 2012-04-02 13:49:52

Lastcoder
#! Member

Cinelli wrote:

hm .. even with Windows available - http://www.chrysocome.net/dd. But UNetBootin often works too ..

Cinelli wrote:

i dont understand why everyone is replying with "just dd if of" and it'll work... we know this will work. it's in the howto's it's all over google..

'cause it only works with special multiboot images and not with every image .. and a lot of people don't RTFM and ask .. and 'cause we are nice, we answer the question instead of telling: RTFM wink

Greetz

LastCoder

Last edited by Lastcoder (2012-04-02 13:50:12)

#67 2012-04-02 14:29:28

Cinelli

Lastcoder wrote:
Cinelli wrote:

hm .. even with Windows available - http://www.chrysocome.net/dd. But UNetBootin often works too ..

Cinelli wrote:

'cause it only works with special multiboot images and not with every image .. and a lot of people don't RTFM and ask .. and 'cause we are nice, we answer the question instead of telling: RTFM wink

Greetz

LastCoder

If you reread the thread (kind-of like RTFM) there's multiple references to how to dd.. even links to the "howto: create a crunchbang linux usb installation device". That's why it's pointless to keep posting "why not just dd". Trying to find a work around to those that can't seem to get dd to work and those that prefer to use a graphical live usb creator such as Unetbootin / Lili / Pen Drive.

Cheers.

CINELLI Motorsports LLC
Stay true.

#68 2012-04-03 09:55:55

Lastcoder
#! Member

Cinelli wrote:

If you reread the thread (kind-of like RTFM) there's multiple references to how to dd.. even links to the "howto: create a crunchbang linux usb installation device". That's why it's pointless to keep posting "why not just dd". Trying to find a work around to those that can't seem to get dd to work and those that prefer to use a graphical live usb creator such as Unetbootin / Lili / Pen Drive.

Cheers.

thanks for your suggestions, new member wink !

But please don't forget - it's here the crunchbang community and not the aptosid or an ubuntu forum, so please be kind, sit down, take a coffee - and don't flame around and give instructions how to answer in threads hmm ... if you can't there are a lot of forums where this style is welcomed roll

Btw: how about developing own solutions for this problems instead of flaming .. 50 % of your post are useless flaming atm.

So long

LastCoder

#69 2012-06-29 00:00:03

lofijerm

[SOLVED] Under the BIOS>BOOT section there are two options. 1) Boot priority 2) Hard-Disk Priority. I failed to change option 2. So don't be like me folks!

Hello fellow #!'rs.

Well, I'm having some serious problems making a Statler bootable usb. I've tried numerous methods, but nothing seems to work. I've been up and down this thread and have tried everything mentioned. I'm using Statler right now, so I've done this before with no....few problems.

I'm on an Asus Eee Pc 1015PE, and I downloaded the 32-bit

This a list of the methods I have tried. All. Day. (These all include changing boot priority).

1. Format USB to FAT32 using Gparted(also tried another time using terminal to format usb); write ISO to USB using UNebootin;

RESULT: As mentioned in previous post, UNebootin has trouble recognizing CDROM. I tried the work-around that was posted, but the first step (# mount /dev/sdb /cdrom) gave me an error mentioning fstab and not being able to locate any devices. 

2. Format USB to Fat32 using terminal; wrote ISO to USB using dd method;

RESULT: Doesn't boot USB, straight to GRUB.

3. Format to ext3; dd method

RESULT: Doesn't boot, to GRUB

4. (USING MAC OS to write ISO)Format USB to Fat32; used dd method

RESULT: Straight to GRUB, no luck( also tried booting USB in mac; doesn't register USB.

6. (using LINUX MINT ISO)Format to FAT32; Unebootin;

RESULT: Won't recognize USB! Stuh-rate to GRUB.

The only time I got the Statler USB to boot was when using Unebootin, (except for Linux Mint, which is an option in the program), but because of the CD detection issue I can't move on. Like I said I tried the work-around, but when I tried to mount the /dev/sdb to /cdrom. it says that doesn't exist. I tried sdb1 as well.

Maybe I just suck?

Last edited by lofijerm (2012-06-29 06:19:30)

#70 2012-06-29 05:04:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Are you doing all of this with the same USB flash drive?  Have you tried a different drive?  (Sometimes the thumbdrive's firmware gets in the way.)

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#71 2012-06-29 06:16:35

lofijerm

I was starting to think that, the way I treat that poor little guy. I figured it out though, I'm a complete space and didn't notice the second option under the BIOS>BOOT section.. *face palm*

Thank you though. I can finally rest. For now.

#72 2012-10-03 19:32:24

ew
#! Die Hard

omns wrote:

I think this is significant enough to sticky for a while. There have been several support requests from members trying to use unetbootin to install Statler. Using unetbootin can cause several problems including grub and login errors.

Two days ago I Installed Statler.bpo through unetbootin. It was an old XP laptop without cd/dv, and it was not able to boot from usb pendrive or external cd-rom. No usb boot-option in bios. Then I tried to save the unetbootin boot-disk that I created to the harddisk instead of the pendrive, making an unetbootin entry in Windows Boot Manager, but that didn work either. I could boot from it, and start the installation of Statler, but I couldn get past "Detect and Mount CD-rom".

Then i got the bright idea to combine both methods, and it worked like a charm. I chose unetbootin from WBM, hit escape to get to the menu. Started graphical installation, and when it got to "detect cd-rom...", it detected the pendrive with statler.bpo on it. I chose to use entire disk with separate home partition, everything installed just fine, I installed grub2 to MBR, and when i rebooted, voila, "Welcome to Grub-2", no more xp and wbm, and therefore the unetbootin option was also gone, and everything has worked just perfect since.

Therefore, unetbootin worked fine for me, and in a simular situation I would do it again. But I seriously doubt that the need will arise again. Most pc`s can boot from either CD or USB:)

-EW

- Vacant account

#73 2012-12-10 21:27:13

Bucic

I was just about to post about the GTK display 0 error I experienced. Thanks for the topic!

#74 2013-01-04 08:03:56

sinlyn
Website

Should there be a bit in the guide about making it persistent?  I think It's not a good way.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2013-03-25 21:05:04

manuleka
Website

Universal USB Installer seems to work for me for installing CrunchBang 11... i am going to tryout CrunchBang 10 on my Aspire One as Microphone doesn't seem to function on 11  sad

NETBOOK - Acer Aspire One D255E : CrunchBang 11
DESKTOP - Intel i7 3770 @ 3.4Ghz : 8GB DDR3 (4x2) Dual Ch : Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB : 750GB Momentus Hybrid 8GB SSD 7200rpm : RaidMax 530 SS : Windows 7 Ultimate : Crunchbang 11 cool

Board footer