SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-02 13:33:31

MarioTheGandhi

'Ello, 'ello!

Hi there, first of all I'm a total noob at this. I've never used any kind of Linux distro before, but I was told to use Crunchbang as a starter. I've got a friend helping me out with stuff. However, any tips you have will be great. Thank you big_smile

Of course you can, I’m not questioning your powers of observation, I’m merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-02 13:44:00

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: 'Ello, 'ello!

Welcome to the community!

MarioTheGandhi wrote:

I've never used any kind of Linux distro before, but I was told to use Crunchbang as a starter.

While most people recommend Ubuntu or Debian as a starter distro, I wholeheartedly agree that CrunchBang is a much better place to start - it has far less cruft than the "big boys", and while the Openbox interface takes just a little getting used to, it's easily as user-friendly - if not more so - than Gnome 3 or Unity.  And you're sure to learn much more about Linux here than you would at the Ubuntu or Debian forums.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2012-10-02 13:48:45

MarioTheGandhi

Thanka, I haven't actually got round to installing it yet as I'm getting a friend to help me with the ins and outs, but I'm sure once I get going I'll be able to do most things myself. The only OS's I've ever really used are the Windows ones and I just fancied a change

Of course you can, I’m not questioning your powers of observation, I’m merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

#4 2012-10-02 13:51:38

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community MarioTheGandhi, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#5 2012-10-02 20:25:39

super.luser

MarioTheGandhi wrote:

The only OS's I've ever really used are the Windows ones and I just fancied a change

I like you already. wink

Welcome to a brand new experience! smile

I luse superbly, with style and aplomb.

#6 2012-10-03 00:53:06

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Right.

1. Welcome to #! smile
2. We were all "new" once. Just in my case, before the fall of the Roman Empire. Still bitter about the Goths....
3. Almost everything you're going to go through has been documented in the forums by the rest of us; search first, and then ask if you need help.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#7 2012-10-03 14:03:12

MarioTheGandhi

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll pick it up as I go along, and in time start helping other people with it big_smile

#8 2012-10-03 17:37:30

dura
Bloated Gimp

Yo.

I used to be a Mint user. Mint is known for its strong community. But it is nothing compared to these #! forums. They are amazing. People want to help you, and do. It's also quite fun around here. And personal.

#9 2012-10-11 18:22:18

MarioTheGandhi

So, I've just installed it with the help of a friend about an hour ago. I've been live booting until today. So far so good!

Board footer