SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-13 10:32:08

servingwater
#! Junkie

Re: Community Crunchbang

Since I did not want to open a thread for this I just put it here.

I just wanted to congratulate corenominal on his distro again.
After 2 years or so I have again installed crunchbang (Waldorf testing 64 Bit) on my netbook, I haven't used a debian based distro in that entire time.

I actually forgot just what a quality product #! really is.
The installer works great and is IMHO the perfect balance between simple and elegant.
I for the first time went for the LVM options for my partitioning mainly out curiosity of being able to re-size after install.
I went with the guided one at first with /var /home and / separated, but was a bit surprised that the default settings only assigned me around 300Mib for the / volume, that's out of a 320 Gig harddrive.
Perhaps I am missing something but even with said ability of re-sizing afterwards that is bit low for my taste.
Instead of re-configuring it I just settled with only /home as a separate volume where the default gives me 10Gig for /.
Like I said I have never messed with LVM before so there of course could be something I am missing, so I shall read up on it.

Anyway the install went flawless and quick and the welcome script is a neat feature, although I would have preferred that remote root login would be disabled by default after openSSH install.
I had to get used to working with apt and a package manager in general again but quickly learned how nice and convenient both are and can be.
It took me awhile to remember (actually it took google wink ) to remember apt-cache search....
I had already plans to customize but after 5 Min of working my new #! install I realized that the default theme from corenominal is pretty damn perfect.
Very polished, and very elegant put together. The tint setup and the icons in the tray are beautiful I even like the nm-applet although that is usually the first thing I replace with wicd.
I am not done yet setting everything up and of course I eventually customize it (after all that is what #! is all about right?! big_smile ) but I just wanted to say what a great distro you have here I have almost forgotten...... wink

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2012-09-13 12:03:48

hochrappenkopf
#! CrunchBanger

servingwater wrote:

Since I did not want to open a thread for this I just put it here.

I just wanted to congratulate corenominal on his distro again.
After 2 years or so I have again installed crunchbang (Waldorf testing 64 Bit) on my netbook, I haven't used a debian based distro in that entire time...

I actually forgot just what a quality product #! really is.

Me too! Installed Waldorf testing 64Bit on my Fujitsu PC P5636 - great stuff! Why making a community driven fork of #! and not taking Waldorf? roll

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" [Walt Disney]

#28 2012-09-13 12:10:32

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

servingwater wrote:

I for the first time went for the LVM options for my partitioning mainly out curiosity of being able to re-size after install.
I went with the guided one at first with /var /home and / separated, but was a bit surprised that the default settings only assigned me around 300Mib for the / volume, that's out of a 320 Gig harddrive.
Perhaps I am missing something but even with said ability of re-sizing afterwards that is bit low for my taste.
Instead of re-configuring it I just settled with only /home as a separate volume where the default gives me 10Gig for /.
Like I said I have never messed with LVM before so there of course could be something I am missing, so I shall read up on it.

The default Debian LVM partitioning is the best one out there, but not really optimal. That being said, if you go for the full break-up to /usr and /var and stuff, 300 MB is no problem, as /usr takes the brunt of the space. Look in my sig for a detailed tutorial with links and stuff.

#29 2012-09-13 14:25:48

servingwater
#! Junkie

Thanks for tip el_koraco, great tutorial from you. smile

Regarding my thoughts on the 300 Mib root partion you are right I did forget to consider /usr, see I knew there had to be an explanation! big_smile

LVM really looks like something, can't beleive I haven't got around to it earlier......

#30 2012-09-13 15:03:35

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

servingwater wrote:

LVM really looks like something, can't beleive I haven't got around to it earlier......

I had the same feeling. Wait until you snapshot and back up the root partition from a running system and start making logical volumes just so you can dick around with various filesystems.

#31 2012-09-17 07:22:23

servingwater
#! Junkie

el_koraco wrote:
servingwater wrote:

I had the same feeling. Wait until you snapshot and back up the root partition from a running system and start making logical volumes just so you can dick around with various filesystems.

Again thank you for the awesome tutorial.
I actually did a re-install of #! and followed your guide and even added a encrypted unmounted partition, just for kicks and my po## I mean personal data, smile

#32 2012-09-17 07:27:48

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Glad to be of service.

#33 2012-09-27 00:13:06

omns
#! wanderer

I was looking at the todays discussion in the September screenshot thread. In light of that discussion I thought I might post a few thoughts on the BBQ here in this thread.

First I would like to apologise to anyone I upset in this thread. In my defence I was just trying to point out the realities of what was being requested and the possibilities of it happening. However, I would acknowledge that some of my posts could have been a bit less blunt. For that you have my sincere apologies smile

Second, I have to say that out of this I am delighted to see the Linux BBQ up and running http://www.linuxbbq.co.cc/ machinebacon and his team have done a wonderful job orgnaising things over there and he really has some excellent builds up and running. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the project expands and grows, particularly with plans for more community builds to take place.

It would sadden me to think that we can't all continue to share and learn from each other. As a linux community we now have the unique opportunity to learn and share from each other in two different projects with similar goals but different pathways. I'd like to thank those members who have made me welcome this morning at the BBQ and who can see beyond to the big picture of what Linux is all about.

CrunchBang is my home so my main efforts will allways be first and foremost to this project and its way of doing things. I am glad though that I now have a way to keep in touch with members who have sort a different way of doing things and I look forward to seeing more of your screenshots here and you sharing your knowledge with us all.

cheers
--omns smile

#34 2012-09-27 00:30:28

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Glad to see you can connect there omns... I have not been able to as of late.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#35 2012-09-27 02:10:38

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

@omns, thank you for sharing your thoughts, I was quite hesitant to 'advertise' the 'Q -- mainly because we started off as a forum especially for Linux beginners. That we have a few spins over there is only a product of my own unhappiness about the lack of a working sid netinstall CD with non-free firmware and the non-free contrib channels enabled. I have rebuilt it from siduction (the nice side effect is a much newer kernel and some siduction extras like Ceni) and added everything but the kitchen sink for drivers and firmware. FOSS is nice and good, but what does it bring if wireless doesn't work or the sound card doesn't beep.

I have spent a lot of time here and tried my best to do as much as possible for the community, so Crunchbang will always have a special place in my life - like an ex-wife for now, because I don't run it anymore (like many mods here, too big_smile )

It would be nice to see a community Crunchbang, though I know it is hard to conduct such thing. The decision Philip would make is something that has to be sustainable. I mean, many of those who want a Gangbang (that's how I'd call this project) can use the existing path corenominal has laid (github) and show that they are really interested in doing something. It is very easy to sit there in front of the computer and wait for a result, for something that is offered on a silver plate.

Of course the 'Q is always willing to help anybody regardless of distro (we are not even Debian-only) and the community contributions there are free for use for everybody, also the build-scripts.

@Vast: try the direct link (not via .co.cc redirect) maybe that's where the problem comes from (or click my sig)

#36 2012-10-06 02:21:31

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

omns wrote:
bozhkov wrote:

what about a community-backed return #! xfce edition? smile

First, I don't have any inside information but my money is on a return of the Xfce edition for Waldorf smile

Yuck!  I'm quite happy with Openbox.

#37 2012-10-06 02:43:56

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Yuck! I hate OpenBox... big_smile

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#38 2012-10-06 06:02:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Openbox is bloat.  Xfce is bloat.  "The whole d@mn system is [bloat]!" lol tongue

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Board footer