SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-09-26 10:51:58

#! Member

Re: Updated Waldorf "Testing" images: 20120924

corenominal wrote:

Not a mistake, but agreed, it is not ideal. The next builds will use the new redirector service available at: http://http.debian.net/ smile

Great, I didn't know about it, I've switched my sources.list to it. I've sometimes had problems with offline mirrors and had to switch to other mirrors, so this is great.

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2012-09-26 11:49:04

johnraff
nullglob
Website

corenominal wrote:

The next builds will use the new redirector service available at: http://http.debian.net/ smile

This seems to be working really well. cool Need to tweak the netinstall script a bit to accomodate it.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#53 2012-09-26 14:48:23

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I just encountered the "failed to execute login command" on a fresh install of the latest testing build...will update post if what appears to be a really simple fix works.

EDIT:  Seems part of the problem is there is no /etc/fstab created on a fresh install.  Again, I say "WTF?"  Frankly, I'm flabbergasted.

corenominal wrote:

Also, I think I have found an issue with the latest builds which could warrant a quick turnaround. Nothing to worry about, investigating now.

Is this possibly related?

Last edited by pvsage (2012-09-26 15:06:41)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#54 2012-09-26 15:32:13

dtschmitz

Hi Phil,

To the extent that a recent announcement from Google regarding Chrome 22 indicates support for an additional layered sandbox on top of seccomp, using secomp-BPF, which is part of Linux 3.5, will your CrunchBang 11 support that Linux kernel app feature?

Kindest Regards,
Dietrich

#55 2012-09-26 15:56:24

snowpine
#!-a-roo

dtschmitz wrote:

Hi Phil,

To the extent that a recent announcement from Google regarding Chrome 22 indicates support for an additional layered sandbox on top of seccomp, using secomp-BPF, which is part of Linux 3.5, will your CrunchBang 11 support that Linux kernel app feature?

Kindest Regards,
Dietrich

Welcome to the forums Deitrich!

Since #! 11 is based on Debian Wheezy, which is already in feature freeze, your question is more applicable for #! 12, which will be based on Debian Jessie in about 2 years. If Debian supports this feature, then #! probably will too. smile

Last edited by snowpine (2012-09-26 15:56:52)

/hugged

#56 2012-09-26 16:02:36

jst_joe
#! Junkie

pvsage wrote:

I just encountered the "failed to execute login command" on a fresh install of the latest testing build...will update post if what appears to be a really simple fix works.

EDIT:  Seems part of the problem is there is no /etc/fstab created on a fresh install.  Again, I say "WTF?"  Frankly, I'm flabbergasted.

corenominal wrote:

Also, I think I have found an issue with the latest builds which could warrant a quick turnaround. Nothing to worry about, investigating now.

@pvsage
only ran into this problem with manual partitioning, adding fstab entries solved it.
running cb-welcome now to see if that fixes permissions mounting external drives.

EDIT: Mounting problems weren't with external drives usb drives mount fine.
It's with drives in my hot swap backplane even when booting with drives in place.
I added drives to fstab and got fuse errors, installed disk-manager and set drives to mount rw all is good.
I thought disk-manager was only a gui for fstab.

Edit: for typo

Last edited by jst_joe (2012-09-26 21:27:38)

A person who has a cat by the tail knows a whole lot more about cats than someone who has just read about them.
Mark Twain

#57 2012-09-26 16:05:39

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

omns - vrkalak - Happy belated birthday wishes.

I am running the latest greatest Live-Waldorf from my first ever dd to usb device.

it failled twice but I finally got it.  You know the famous "missing comma" thing that kills programmers, well this was an added 1

I had "sdb1" DUH!!!

@ Philip - awesome - as usual - - - install comes next.

Last edited by Sector11 (2012-09-26 16:06:07)

#58 2012-09-26 16:22:24

dtschmitz

snowpine wrote:
dtschmitz wrote:

Hi Phil,

Kindest Regards,
Dietrich

Welcome to the forums Deitrich!

Since #! 11 is based on Debian Wheezy, which is already in feature freeze, your question is more applicable for #! 12, which will be based on Debian Jessie in about 2 years. If Debian supports this feature, then #! probably will too. smile

Actually,
I was thinking more in terms of Phil patching 3.2 to add this important 'industrial' highly-secure feature.

Note  Canonical has already done a patch of 3.2 for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:

http://forum.tribunnews.com/showthread. … -Pangolin)

"Added support seccomp filter, an interesting mechanism to restrict access to system calls for applications. Seccomp filter feature is to define rules of access to system calls in the BPF-representation (Berkley Packet Filter), an actively used for filtering network packets. BPF allows to implement rather complex access rules, for example, taking into account the arguments passed and returned. In the simplest case, the structure of the code is added to the list of valid system calls (ALLOW_SYSCALL) and reaction in case of a mismatch (eg, KILL_PROCESS). To determine the use of system calls should use the rule EXAMINE_SYSCALL. The program will automatically determine which system calls it needs, all other system calls are blocked, which allows you to limit the possibility of an attacker in the case of exploitation in protected by seccomp filter application. In addition to Ubuntu, the system seccomp filter will soon be integrated into the Chrome OS;"

Phil, is this something you would consider adding?  It would certainly lend itself to enhanced security and the perception your Distro is recognizing the importance of seccomp-BPF Mode 2 sandboxing technology.

Please review and advise.
Thank you!
Dietrich

#59 2012-09-26 16:24:57

corenominal
WRONG
Website

pvsage wrote:

corenominal wrote:

That is it. I am surprised it has taken this long for anyone to notice. There is/was an issue with the build process whereby the build scripts would create an empty fstab file and then during the install, partman would not overwrite it. Doh. I have applied a fix to the scripts and I am preparing some new builds, which I will make available ASAP.

I did say this was testing release, right? roll

#60 2012-09-26 16:26:08

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Doh... Testing is always fun isn't it?  smile

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#61 2012-09-26 16:27:51

corenominal
WRONG
Website

dtschmitz wrote:

Phil, is this something you would consider adding?  It would certainly lend itself to enhanced security and the perception your Distro is recognizing the importance of seccomp-BPF Mode 2 sandboxing technology.

Hey Dietrich smile I will look into it, thank you.

#62 2012-09-26 17:53:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

corenominal wrote:
pvsage wrote:

corenominal wrote:

That is it. I am surprised it has taken this long for anyone to notice. There is/was an issue with the build process whereby the build scripts would create an empty fstab file and then during the install, partman would not overwrite it. Doh. I have applied a fix to the scripts and I am preparing some new builds, which I will make available ASAP.

I'd say not being able to find /home is more than "nothing to worry about"; seems for more than a few people trying out the testing image, "these are the droids you're looking for". neutral

At least it's comforting to know that this is an upstream issue with the Debian Live installer.

#63 2012-09-26 18:05:39

gstb

kernel wrote:
skbierm wrote:

I just tried the live mode of the i686 version of the new iso and ran into the situation, that some things aren't allowed, like clicking on a network connection to activate it, or clicking in thunar on a separate partition icon.

I have the same problem only with the 32 bit i486 version (nonPAE).  I couldn't connect to wireless: fault read

not authorized to contol networking

I worked around it by searching the forums, found a previous thread similar.

sudo nm-connection-editor

with password "live" got me a working nm-applet and could add my network and password.

Then I plugged my usb external hard drive in, thunar sees it fine but when I try to click it:

failed to mount Elements: Not authorized.

It sure it handsome though.  I like the slightly changed look.  Looking forward to using it.

I have the same trouble in live session mode. I think it's because  X server is started twice (on tty7 and on tty8). You can switch to tty7 (CTRL + ALT + F7) and connect a network.

There is also bug with compton + xfce4-screenshooter. "Select a region" option makes screenshots dimmed.
tZm5lZg

Last edited by gstb (2012-09-26 18:15:03)

#64 2012-09-26 18:45:07

Ariya

I am wondering, whether Marlin could be the file manager...

#65 2012-09-26 18:49:40

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ My guess would be that Marlin would have to first make it to the debian repos.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#66 2012-09-26 19:01:22

beta

Hello everybody.
New member, but not new user - thanks for a great debian openbox spin that is great out of the box.

Feedback from a fresh install of the current testing image:
1) First try: LVM and encryption with /home partition:
reboot : $NAME/LVM group not found, could not not boot or enter passphrase.  Could not mount anything to investigate.
2) Second try: LVM with /home partition:
reboot: failed to execute login command.  No user directory was created in /home, but user was.  No /etc/fstab, but /etc/lvm/lvm.conf is present.

Googling debian beta2 installer for wheezy there seem to be issues additionally with keyboards other than qwerty on reboot. I assuming these are all upstream problems, so sorry to be wasting bandwidth here.

#67 2012-09-26 20:42:16

vicshrike
#! by Default

corenominal wrote:

Yes, that`s why we`re here! smile

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#68 2012-09-26 21:44:59

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

vicshrike wrote:
corenominal wrote:

Yes, that`s why we`re here! smile

Yea, who ever heard of a testing release without testers?

"1 2 3 testing testing {tap tap} [zzzzztt] ... can you hear me in the back? Yea, you with the glasses and headphones, can you hear this?  Need more volume?"  lol lol

#69 2012-09-26 22:10:20

samineru

I've just gone through a standard install twice and both time I end up with a blank fstab. I install 64bit from a unetbootin'd image and run the post install script (kicking myself for not checking prescript). On a side note, while troubleshooting SLiM sessions I found I have no ~/.xsession. Talking in IRC it seemed useful to observe that some post install cleanup things did work, such as the copying in of skel, and the raising of the post-install script. I can be contacted on AIM at samineru if anyone would like to speak at a higher frequency than intermittent forum posts.

tl;dr, install, update, blank fstab, my aim is samineru but I'll be watching for replies here.

#70 2012-09-26 22:10:55

fgk002@yahoo.com

Has anyone notices a problem with the wireless connection ?

Using a GX260 with P4 2.4GHz and Atheros chipset wireless card, all works fine on #! August 06.
But yesterday's release 20120924 just gives an error message:

Failed to add/activate connection
(32) Not authorized to control networking

#71 2012-09-26 23:22:08

dkeg
#! Die Hard

samineru wrote:

I've just gone through a standard install twice and both time I end up with a blank fstab. I install 64bit from a unetbootin'd image and run the post install script (kicking myself for not checking prescript). On a side note, while troubleshooting SLiM sessions I found I have no ~/.xsession. Talking in IRC it seemed useful to observe that some post install cleanup things did work, such as the copying in of skel, and the raising of the post-install script. I can be contacted on AIM at samineru if anyone would like to speak at a higher frequency than intermittent forum posts.

tl;dr, install, update, blank fstab, my aim is samineru but I'll be watching for replies here.

See this thread

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … n-command/

basically, you're logging into recovery mode, creating a /home/user/ directory for yourself, then create an .xinitrc file.  In that file place in

exec openbox-session

That seems to have worked for not just myself, but others too.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#72 2012-09-26 23:38:59

kernel
#! Member

@machinebacon

crunchbang@crunchbang:~$ apt-cache policy policykit-1-gnome
policykit-1-gnome:
  Installed: 0.105-2
  Candidate: 0.105-2
  Version table:
 *** 0.105-2 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
crunchbang@crunchbang:~$

Also after I posted from the live-test-#! last night I tried to shutdown but it wouldn't go through with it.  It just kind of sat there with the big red X in the top corner and nothing else happened.  I clicked the close-out X on the window and tried reboot and got the same thing.  I click log out and it just kind of "restarts". 

@vicshrike I'm reading the post now.

#73 2012-09-27 00:20:06

kernel
#! Member

@vicshrike   No Go on the "yes" solution.  But....

I read this post http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … es/page/2/

followed machinebacons suggestions which were

sudo blkid

then adding my external hard drive

machinebacon wrote:

sudo gedit /etc/fstab (or sudo geany /etc/fstab)
add this line to the end, including the empty line:

UUID=A60EFA090EF9D1F3  /media/xp ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

save and exit.
Next, sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
sudo mkdir /media/xp
sudo mount -a

Your drive is now in /media/xp and can be accessed in both terminal and file manager. Do you want [some/the] other drives be auto-mounted too?

My hard drive didn't show up on the side panel of thunar but I could access it by navigating to /media/xp with thunar.  So now I can listen to music.

#74 2012-09-27 02:20:53

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ You can navigate to /media and then pull the xp folder to the left pane - shortcut created smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2012-09-27 05:18:19

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@dkeg:  The thing is, when I booted from my Statler drive, the partition that was supposed to be mounted as /home by Waldorf already had a directory for /home/user.  Also, does your .xinitrc solution generate an /etc/fstab, or does the separate /home partition remain ignored?

No offense intended, but your workaround feels a lot like fixing a broken window by skinning it with plywood.

@Baconator & kernel:  Thanks for reminding me of `blkid`; this and the /etc/fstab from my Statler install should be all I need to get the latest Waldorf image up and running tomorrow morning.

Board footer