SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-17 04:45:39

Mark T.

New user, want to try Crunchbang on TOSHIBA Libretto 50 CT.

Hi everyone, Mark T. here (a new user).

I have been all around the web and want to try Crunchbang on my Libretto 50ct portable "palmtop" computer.

Its specs. are 100MHz. (was 75) 32 Megs. of ram, 4.3 Gig. of HD (was 850M?).

Others who are more experienced in Linux (not necessarily Crunchbang) have succeeded in running it on this system.

I was told about Crunchbang by "Wigwam Jones" on Audiokarma while posting on their general off topic forum.

The current problems are having NO USB and NO way to BOOT from a CD rom drive (I CAN boot from a floppy via a PCMCIA slot).

I CAN hook up the Libretto's drive to another WIN98SE system using a USB external drive adapter (or an IDE cable if needed).

Having booted and run past DOS\Windows systems, I do have some knowledge of "NEW" computer start up, but not with Linux!

Thank you in advance for ANY help for a new user (hoping to be an "old" user!)

Mark T.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-09-17 08:00:04

vicshrike
#! by Default

Re: New user, want to try Crunchbang on TOSHIBA Libretto 50 CT.

Welcome to the #!forums MarkT. I do hope that you will have a great time here with us. Unfortunately I can`t hep you with your installing issue, you might consider asking in the appropriate help/support section for faster assistance. Good luck!

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#3 2012-09-17 08:47:20

xaos52
The Good Doctor

I am afraid you dont have the minimum requirements: see http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i … 04.html.en.
That is for Debian stable, which is the base for #!

No doubt an 'expert' could install Debian on your specs, but it would be command line only.

#4 2012-09-17 13:42:15

snowpine
#!-a-roo

No chance with those specs; time to recycle the Libretto and upgrade to a newer machine. Welcome to the forums!

/hugged

#5 2012-09-17 14:00:25

Howitzer

Read through this guys blog: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/

He's done stuff similar to what you're trying to achieve.

#6 2012-09-17 14:17:37

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community Mark T., we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#7 2012-09-18 21:35:19

Mark T.

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I am too new to contribute as yet, but if I succeed in what I am trying to do, I surly will feed back my progress.

Since this is an "introduction" forum, my best next best action is to get info as to what forum is best to ask technical "newbe" questions.

As for "text or GUI" interfacing with Crunchbang, the original program supplied with this machine WAS Windows 95.

I am assuming some type of Linux WILL run on this system, as we all know, (newer) Windows products tend to be "overbuilt and bloated" with too many "extras" that don't work well on minimal systems.

Since the choice of operating systems (hardware aside) is a personal choice, if someone here said "YES, you can use Win95 to e-mail, brows the web with these programs" then I would not be exploring Linux and would be happy to try that suggestion.

If an older distro of Linux that is well tested but just "browsed the web and did e-mail" and not much else, I would try it.

Please don't misunderstand, I am too new to be judgmental of ANY operating system Linux and those who work with and support it is a fine and grand effort, but if it TRULY is not "my cup of tea", than I willingly choose another solution better suited to my task.

Mark T.

#8 2012-09-18 22:30:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Just out of curiosity, have you tried one of the truly lightweight distros like Puppy or SliTaz?  Since CrunchBang is, for all intents and purposes, Debian with a few tweaks, I'm guessing that it couldn't compete with the lightweights, featherweights, and bantamweights on your hardware.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#9 2012-09-20 01:31:38

Mark T.

Well, the general consensus here is that Crunchbang is not a good fit for my hardware, an I will not waste valuable time (mine and others) to try and make it work.

My best course of action is to keep looking to others who have had success with my hardware and with whatever operating system that works.

Thanks for now!

Mark T.

#10 2012-09-20 06:35:53

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Yeah, sorry 'bout that.  You're still welcome here though. cool  You know that, right?  Lotsa forum members here don't use #! as their primary distro.

#11 2012-09-20 07:45:40

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

Also new here, as for this want for a OS that would work for that set of hardware I would say DSL (damn small linux) would be best it is a 50MB live image linux which can do almost everything a normal linux can.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

You can find my work here

Make everything ok button

#12 2012-09-20 13:05:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

D@mn - DSL is really starting to look seksi!  (Oops, that's supposed to be "sexy" - sorry 'bout the nerd-speak.)

#13 2012-09-21 18:21:11

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

pvsage wrote:

Yeah, sorry 'bout that.  You're still welcome here though. cool  You know that, right?  Lotsa forum members here don't use #! as their primary distro.

And, you never know, you might find something here that would help elsewhere... Help and support is usually provided in command-line text, which kind of gets re-used a lot in the Linux-verse. smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#14 2012-09-21 18:24:18

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Well said  merelyjim... cool

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

Board footer