SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-07 17:20:36

jotapesse
#! Junkie

[Outdated] How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Xfce Apps/Plugins

[Updated 2013-06-15: This how to is now outdated! Xfce 4.10 is now mostly available from Debian testing/unstable, I'll rewrite a new how to reflect this changes.]

[Updated 2012-11-08: With newer Siduction method and older method reported issues and corrections!]

Hello!

Currently and since May 2012, Xfce 4.10 on Debian is only available on the Experimental repository and only its Core packages. They run fine but you'll lose most of the Xfce Apps and Plugins functionality.

Also, it's unlikely that 4.10 will come to Testing/Unstable any time soon, as Debian will be freezing soon and the decision to not include 4.10 is expected. This is an interesting read!

A. New Siduction repository method (easier). (It was tested and reported ok on this thread.)

1. Add the Siduction Xfce Repository to your sources list by creating the xfcenext.list file:

$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xfcenext.list

containing these lines:

deb http://packages.siduction.org/xfcenext unstable main
deb-src http://packages.siduction.org/xfcenext unstable main

2. Add the Siduction archive reyring:

$ wget http://packages.siduction.org/base/pool/main/s/siduction-archive-keyring/siduction-archive-keyring_2012.07.01_all.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i siduction-archive-keyring_2012.07.01_all.deb
$ rm siduction-archive-keyring_2012.07.01_all.deb

3. Update your sources:

$ sudo apt-get update

4. Install Xfce Core and all the Apps an Plugins (change as you please):

$ sudo apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-cellmodem-plugin xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-hdaps xfce4-indicator-plugin xfce4-linelight-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-messenger-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-mpc-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-power-manager xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-radio-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-wmdock-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfconf xfdesktop4 xfswitch-plugin xfwm4 xfwm4-themes thunar thunar-volman orage ristretto parole

5. Enjoy! smile

B. Alternative manual compile, build and install from Xfce sources method (harder). That's how I installed, on testing/wheezy but currently on unstable/sid. You can also use this to install updated apps like Thunar 1.5.1 and others. smile

The following "how to" was the way I have installed. It worked for me. I have upgraded from Xfce 4.8. I did it on a running Xfce session. Now I'm running full Xfce 4.10 with updated Apps and Plugins on all its glory without any issues. In fact, overall I find it's working faster.

Disclaimer: It worked for me but it may not work for you. Try at your own risk.

How to Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Xfce Apps and Plugins. Steps:

1. If you do not have Experimental repository on your sources list add it and update. Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

And update:

$ sudo apt-get update

2. Check if you now have Xfce 4.10 Core available to install, you should get similar response:

$ apt-cache policy xfce4
xfce4:
  Installed: 4.8.0.3
  Candidate: 4.10.0
  Version table:
 *** 4.10.0 0
          1 http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.8.0.3 0
        990 http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

2. Install Xfce 4.10 Core from Experimental repository with its metapackage (this seems to not work anymore, see bellow!):

$ sudo apt-get -t experimental install xfce4 

This should install the core packages and more (some may already be installed):

• gtk2-engines-xfce (>= 3.0.0) GTK+-2.0 theme engine for Xfce

• libxfce4ui-utils (>= 4.10) Utility files for libxfce4ui

• orage (>= 4.8.0) Calendar for Xfce Desktop Environment

• thunar (>= 1.4.0) File Manager for Xfce

• xfce4-appfinder (>= 4.10.0) Application finder for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment

• xfce4-mixer (>= 4.8.0) Xfce mixer application

• xfce4-panel (>= 4.10.0) panel for Xfce4 desktop environment

• xfce4-session (>= 4.10.0) Xfce4 Session Manager

• xfce4-settings (>= 4.10.0) graphical application for managing Xfce settings

• xfconf (>= 4.10.0) utilities for managing settings in Xfce

• xfdesktop4 (>= 4.10.0) xfce desktop background, icons and root menu manager

• xfwm4 (>= 4.10.0)

(!) This may fail due to orage and xfce4-mixer dependencies of xfce4-panel (<= 4.9)! (Debian bug on the metapackage?) If this happens, you'll have to install the core packages individually (thanks to VastOne):

$ sudo apt-get -t experimental install gtk2-engines-xfce libxfce4ui-utils xfce4-appfinder xfce4-panel xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfdesktop4 xfwm4

You can build and install xfce4-mixer and orage later.

3. I also recommend that you install the following plugins/themes (optional, thanks to AnInkedSoul):

$ sudo apt-get -t experimental install xfwm4-themes thunar-volman

And:

$ sudo apt-get install tumbler thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin

4. Logout and Login or reboot to restart Xfce.

5. The former should start the new Xfce WM xfwm4 4.10. If you notice weird artefacts on the windows or incorrect settings you may have to run [Alt-F2] (thanks to VastOne):

xfwm4 --replace

6. At this point you'll notice that some plugins stopped working and you can't use them any more (like xfce4-weather-plugin). You'll have to download, build and install them separably as they are not available from Debian. For that purpose, You'll have to install the required packages/libraries dependencies. Most are covered here, but you may have to install more depending on your apps/plugins:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential intltool pkg-config libalglib-dev libglib2.0-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libx11-dev libgtk2.0-dev libwnck-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev x11-xserver-utils libgudev-1.0-dev libnotify-dev gcc make bzip2

7. Xfce source tarballs Apps and Plugins are available here.

You may now download the apps and plugins you want, build and install them. Now is a good time to build and install xfce4-mixer and orage. As a general rule, the following is sufficient (assuming all dependencies are installed, if not build will fail and ask for the required libraries):

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
$ make
$ sudo make install

In example, for the xfce4-weather-plugin (please check if a newer version is available!):

$ cd ~/downloads/
$ wget http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8/xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.1.tar.bz2
$ tar xfvj /xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.1.tar.bz2
$ cd /xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.1
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd ..

Some plugins require that the panel is restarted to load the newer versions. You may do this by running [Alt-F2] (the first saves the current config and the second restarts):

xfce4-panel -s
xfce4-panel -r

Notes: Depending on the required, I had to install several other libraries (always try to install the latest version from experimental if available), which I don't remember now, but You'll find them when building fails. Some patience is required. Install, configure, make and make install as necessary.

Alternative and Credits: You may opt to download, build and install the whole Xfce 4.10 full from source. This is the "how to" that I used as reference.

Good Luck! smile

Last edited by jotapesse (2013-06-15 20:43:18)

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-08-07 23:55:29

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: [Outdated] How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Xfce Apps/Plugins

Great How To, but -

How long has it been since you installed 4.10?

Right now there is a halt to any installs due this

The following packages have been kept back:
  orage xfce4-mixer 

because of this

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xfce4-mixer orage : Depends: xfce4-panel (< 4.9) but 4.10.0-1 is to be installed

I have a bug report on it and this has been ongoing for the past 10 days causing a failed install of anything Xfce 4.10

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-08-08 00:51:42

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ I had installed the Xfce 4.10 Core packages a few weeks ago. No trouble. I upgraded the apps and plugins 2 days ago. I had xfce4-mixer and orage 4.8 installed (upgraded from Xfce 4.8) The mixer and orage works fine, but their integrated panel plugins don't. I tried building and installing them but won't solve it, apparently.

Are you saying that you are unable to install the meta package xfce4 4.10 because of held back orage and xfce4-mixer 4.8 packages? If so, I would try to install the individual packages and leave the orage and xfce4-mixer, they aren't required for core and you may build and install them later.

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux

#4 2012-08-08 01:11:37

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

I used

apt-get install xfce4-panel xfce4-session xfce4-settings thunar xfwm4 xfwm4-themes xfdesktop4 thunar-volman tumbler  -t experimental

to play with 4.10 a while yesterday

#5 2012-08-08 01:19:17

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

jotapesse wrote:

^ I had installed the Xfce 4.10 Core packages a few weeks ago. No trouble. I upgraded the apps and plugins 2 days ago. I had xfce4-mixer and orage 4.8 installed (upgraded from Xfce 4.8) The mixer and orage works fine, but their integrated panel plugins don't. I tried building and installing them but won't solve it, apparently.

Are you saying that you are unable to install the meta package xfce4 4.10 because of held back orage and xfce4-mixer 4.8 packages? If so, I would try to install the individual packages and leave the orage and xfce4-mixer, they aren't required for core and you may build and install them later.

Correct, the meta packages or

apt-get -t experimental install xfce4 

fails to install anything due to orage and xfce4-mixer depending on the earlier xfce4-panel version.  I also had it installed since it was released using the meta packages install and it had been installing fine until 10 days or so ago.  I will try the base packages as you and AnInkedSoul suggested on another machine.

VSIDO | SolusOS

#6 2012-08-08 04:40:10

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

For anybody following this or runs into the same issue, there was an additional step I had to run to get the correct settings in xfce4 after installing the Xfce 4.10 core apps.

Alt F2

xfwm4 --replace

And all was good.

This may have been due to an update from 4.8 to 4.10 that removed the xfce4 meta packages and needed the command to run one time.

VSIDO | SolusOS

#7 2012-08-08 14:59:08

jotapesse
#! Junkie

I'll update my "how to" to reflect your experiences. Thanks for your feedback! smile

#8 2012-08-08 17:07:57

jotapesse
#! Junkie

jotapesse wrote:

The mixer and orage works fine, but their integrated panel plugins don't. I tried building and installing them but won't solve it, apparently.

Actually, they work fine now, I needed to restart the panel to load the newer versions. Good! smile

#9 2012-08-19 13:24:55

tshann
#! Member

Hi,
  I've successfully installed SOME of xfce4.10. However, when I need to compile a package  many of the packages give errors that I can't figure out how to resolve. For example, trying to compile Xfce4-mixer (meaning I'm in the xfce4-mixer package directory running ./configure --prefix=/usr) I get this output:

checking for libxfce4ui-1 >= 4.8.0... not found
*** The required package libxfce4ui-1 was not found on your system.
*** Please install libxfce4ui-1 (atleast version 4.8.0) or adjust
*** the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
*** installed the package in a nonstandard prefix so that
*** pkg-config is able to find it.

When I go to synaptic and look for libxfce4, I see both libxfce4util-dev and libxfce4util-common are 4.8.2-1. Also, libxfce4ui-1-0 is 4.10.0-1. So it appears I have what I need to go forward. But something is wrong. Either I don't have what I need, or my path is incorrect. I don't know what to do in either case. Any wizards on this?
   Thanks

#10 2012-08-19 23:47:24

jotapesse
#! Junkie

tshann wrote:

*** Please install libxfce4ui-1 (atleast version 4.8.0) or adjust

The updated library libxfce4ui-1 4.10 is missing. You'll have to download, build and install from Xfce source, here.

You'll probably have the same issue with other libraries, like exo, garcon, gtk-xfce-engine, libxfce4util, and so on... Download, build and install them as required. They are all here.

I did say that "Some patience is required. Install, configure, make and make install as necessary." But you'll find that you will solve all the issues and have the full working Xfce 4.10 smile Tell us if it worked for you.

Last edited by jotapesse (2012-08-19 23:50:12)

#11 2012-08-20 00:31:36

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ Or you may try to install libxfce4ui-1-dev 4.10 from experimental. I don't recall which way I solved it.

$ sudo apt-get -t experimental install libxfce4ui-1-dev

Please tell us if it worked.

#12 2012-08-20 01:57:41

omns
#! wanderer

It's a shame 4.10 won't make it into testing but understandable seeing as Xfce is going to be the default first CD desktop in Wheezy. At the moment I'm preparing to move back to Xfce as my main desktop environment so I might have to have a play with this and report back smile

#13 2012-08-20 08:56:31

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ Indeed it is. Good, the more the better! smile

#14 2012-08-20 14:50:54

tshann
#! Member

Well,
   I have to say, this has become incredibly labor intensive. EVERY package I've tried to compile errors out. Often, I'll try to compile one package, but it needs another one installed first. I go and download the needed package, and then it errors out. So far, the only package I have successfully compiled and installed I had to use

dpkg -i -force-overwrite

I wish there was a more elegant/graceful way to do this. I'm psyched about running 4.10, but it just seems so damn time consuming. Besides, I don't have the chops to figure out how to get the damn packages to compile error free.
  If someone is using checkinstall and compiling x64 packages (error free), please share your packages. I'm just too frustrated with all this time and errors.
   Sorry for the vent, but I'm feeling rather distraught with the process.

Peace

#15 2012-08-20 15:01:45

jotapesse
#! Junkie

Sorry, I can't help you there. I didn't go that route, compiling packages. And force-overwrite package installs really doesn't seem good to me, that may lead to future breakages, no?

I just compiled, built and installed the libraries, apps and plugins I required. Although time consuming (in finding and installing the missing development libraries) I did not have any errors and Xfce 4.10 is working fully and marvellously. smile

#16 2012-08-20 15:19:16

tshann
#! Member

Hi Jotapesse,
   Thanks for starting this thread. I wish I knew how to do what you are doing. I think I tried the force-overwrite just to get SOMETHING to compile and install.
   I'm a little confused by your post however. You said 

I didn't go that route, compiling packages

, then later you say "I just compiled, built and installed the libraries, apps and plugins I required." That sounds like a contradiction, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. The only thing I'm trying to compile and install are mixer, orage, etc. But they all error our and require other packages, which in turn error out. So I'm confused what I'm doing differently than you.
  Any insights would be great.

Peace

#17 2012-08-20 15:57:51

jotapesse
#! Junkie

tshann wrote:

That sounds like a contradiction, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. The only thing I'm trying to compile and install are mixer, orage, etc. But they all error our and require other packages, which in turn error out. So I'm confused what I'm doing differently than you.
  Any insights would be great.

You're welcome! We're all here to help each other.

Well, from what you said, I understood that you were using checkinstall and creating debian packages after compiling. Sorry if misunderstood. I have done none of that. I only did exactly what I wrote on the how-to. Downloaded source, built and installed, always by using the same procedure:

$ make
$ sudo make install

Whenever compiling failed due to a missing library, like the example you posted:

checking for libxfce4ui-1 >= 4.8.0... not found
*** The required package libxfce4ui-1 was not found on your system.

I would find and install the required development library (remember that in debian tipically the develpment libraries have the suffix -dev), which in this case i believe it's libxfce4ui-1-dev. Not sure! You may find them by:

$ apt-cache search libxfce4ui-1

I then search for the latest version available:

$ apt-cache policy libxfce4ui-1-dev

And then install it with apt-get.

Or, in this specific case (libxfce4ui-1) I believe you may opt to download, build and install from Xfce source like I posted before. But I don't remember if both ways work in this specific case.

In my case, looking at my history, to successfully install the xfce4-weather-plugin I first had to install:

• libxfce4ui-4.10.0 (Xfce source, build and install)

• garcon-0.2.0 (Xfce source, build and install)

• exo-0.8.0 (Xfce source, build and install)

• xfce4-panel-4.10.0 (Xfce source, build and install)

• gtk-xfce-engine-3.0.0 (Xfce source, build and install)

• libxml2-dev (apt-get install)

Only after these installs I did build and installed the xfce4-weather-plugin successfully. Other plugins had different requirements, but the same dependencies are installed only once.

I hope this clarifies it and helps you. smile

Last edited by jotapesse (2012-08-20 16:00:54)

#18 2012-08-20 16:22:26

tshann
#! Member

Actually, I think I might have figured out why I've had so much trouble; a "dirty" install. What I mean is I installed waldorf and went ahead and did a bunch of installing and messing with the respository - adding in LMDE's for example and installing lots of packages. So, since you are NOT seeing any errors, I'm assuming the issue is that I've got a hybrid system and it's causing all sorts of issues. So I'm going to just save the files I need from this install and re-install. I'll let you know how XFCE 4.10 goes after that. By the way, do you recommend installing 4.8 first (which is what I did) or just install xfce 4.10 right off?

Peace

#19 2012-08-20 16:25:19

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Are you wanting all of the plugins or just the base of Xfce 4.10?  I would try to get just the base installed first and go with the plugins after that is successful.

How to install just the base is part of this How To

Good Luck!

VSIDO | SolusOS

#20 2012-08-20 16:31:44

tshann
#! Member

You guys are great! Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll report back after I re-install fresh. In particular, I'll take note of first installing the base. Then I'll also avoid using checkinstall and just do it the way jotapese did it (configure, make, make install). I'll let you know. Again, thanks guys for being willing to help me sort this out.

Peace

Last edited by tshann (2012-08-20 16:32:43)

#21 2012-08-20 16:32:06

jotapesse
#! Junkie

tshann wrote:

So, since you are NOT seeing any errors... By the way, do you recommend installing 4.8 first (which is what I did) or just install xfce 4.10 right off?

If by NOT seeing any errors, you mean no errors besides the missing development libraries at compile time, then yes, I had/have no errors. Only missing libraries that had to be installed.

I recommend to install Xfce 4.10 right off. No need to upgrade if you start from scratch. Tell us how it goes! Good luck smile

#22 2012-08-20 16:32:22

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

omns wrote:

It's a shame 4.10 won't make it into testing but understandable seeing as Xfce is going to be the default first CD desktop in Wheezy.

I would be happy to see it move from Experimental to Sid and all packages updated to work with just the meta package apt-get install xfce4.

This would eliminate 99% of these issues.

VSIDO | SolusOS

#23 2012-08-20 16:34:23

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ Indeed! No need to this how-to then! smile

#24 2012-08-20 20:59:43

omns
#! wanderer

^^ Yep, I'd be happy to apt pin it then. I think this is what I'll wait for and do a clean install smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-08-21 15:37:37

jotapesse
#! Junkie

omns wrote:

I think this is what I'll wait for and do a clean install smile

Ahhh... There's no fun in that! You really should try 4.10 now. smile

Board footer