SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-15 21:45:59

vinoman

How to select wallpaper [solved]

I've done this before but for some reason I can't select an image from the image folder to change the wallpaper. How do you change the wallpaper?

Last edited by vinoman (2012-07-15 23:27:38)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-07-15 21:51:53

safetycopy
urban legend

Re: How to select wallpaper [solved]

If you're using Openbox, run Nitrogen (it's in the menu at Settings -> Choose Wallpaper).

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

#3 2012-07-15 21:55:23

damo
#! gimpbanger

vinoman wrote:

I've done this before but for some reason I can't select an image from the image folder to change the wallpaper. How do you change the wallpaper?

R-click the image in the folder - there should be a menu option "Set as wallpaper" (There is in Waldorf anyway smile )

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#4 2012-07-15 22:02:38

vinoman

damo wrote:
vinoman wrote:

R-click the image in the folder - there should be a menu option "Set as wallpaper" (There is in Waldorf anyway smile )

I did that (stadler) but nothing changes.

#5 2012-07-15 22:05:07

vinoman

damo wrote:
vinoman wrote:

I go to it and open image file, but it doesn't populate the wallpaper window in Nitrogen. I sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. As much as I like Crunchbang, adding a wallpaper is very frustrating. the preference button doesn't apply the file that you want to select the image from. Is Nitrogen buggy?

Last edited by vinoman (2012-07-15 22:17:05)

#6 2012-07-15 22:25:07

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

If you move the image that you want to select to the "wallpapers" folder the thumbnail will come up in the list when you go and select wallpapers.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before ~ Mae West

#7 2012-07-15 22:27:51

vinoman

Got it. Thanks.

but I wonder why the right-click set as wallpaper function doesn't work. Do you think its a bug in the system?

Last edited by vinoman (2012-07-15 22:32:45)

#8 2012-07-15 22:35:01

pidsley
Window Mangler

No, nitrogen is not buggy. The "problem" is that the wallpaper folder path is hard-coded in the openbox menu.xml file.

Search for "set wallpaper with nitrogen" in the search box at the top right and you see that many people have had similar "problems" with nitrogen. You could also search for "nitrogen bug" and see several threads with solutions.

Open the menu file:

geany ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

and search for "nitrogen" -- you will see the hard-coded file path and you can change it if you want. Or remove the hard coded file path (just have the menu call "nitrogen") and then you can browse to the folder you want and nitrogen will remember it.

Here's a big topic about this issue: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/197553/#p197553
And a specific link to a solution: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/197553/#p197553

Right-click "set as wallpaper" is a "feature" in Thunar that is not implemented in #!. Thunar is designed (like pcmanfm) to set the wallpaper for xfdesktop4, which #! does not use (by default -- you can install it if you want). You can also find many threads on this topic by searching for "set wallpaper with thunar" (the search box really does work! smile )

You can create a Thunar custom action if you really need to be able to set the wallpaper from Thunar: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … th-thunar/

Last edited by pidsley (2012-07-15 22:52:20)

#9 2012-07-15 23:27:16

vinoman

Thanks for the advice.

As long as I can copy images into the wallpaper folder, then they show up on the list. That's fine with me.

problem solved. smile

#10 2012-07-16 00:53:52

damo
#! gimpbanger

pidsley wrote:

Right-click "set as wallpaper" is a "feature" in Thunar that is not implemented in #!. Thunar is designed (like pcmanfm) to set the wallpaper for xfdesktop4, which #! does not use (by default -- you can install it if you want). You can also find many threads on this topic by searching for "set wallpaper with thunar" (the search box really does work! smile )

You can create a Thunar custom action if you really need to be able to set the wallpaper from Thunar: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … th-thunar/

I didn't know that, thanks. I've not tried using the r-click, and I don't like nitrogen - I usually use feh or a home-brew script (not bad for a gui kind of guy! smile )

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#11 2012-07-16 07:07:52

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

vinoman wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

As long as I can copy images into the wallpaper folder, then they show up on the list. That's fine with me.

problem solved. smile

You're welcome smile

I replied from my phone last night so couldn't check.

Wallpapers is located in:

/home/username/images/wallpapers

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before ~ Mae West

Board footer