SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-22 01:43:25

Wrobat
#! Member

Fluxbox menu

I have been looking for the actual menu program. I see that the keys call rootmenu for the mouse click but I don't have a file named rootmenu on the machine.
Just looking for the location.

thanks.

Windows free since Crunchbang 8.10!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-06-22 01:50:37

pidsley
Window Mangler

Re: Fluxbox menu

"rootmenu" just means the menu displayed when a user clicks on the root window (the desktop). You won't find a file called "rootmenu"

In an unmodified fluxbox install on a Debian system, the rootmenu is an auto-generated "Debian" menu at /etc/X11/fluxbox-menu. But you should not modify this file; instead you should create your own menu in your ~/.fluxbox folder (you can copy the Debian menu from /etc/X11/fluxbox and modify it, but you will need to change its name to "menu"

see: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/197438/#p197438

Fluxbox puts its config files in a ~/.fluxbox folder (with defaults in /etc/X11/fluxbox). It uses several files:
menu        the main right-click menu
apps        controls what desktop an app opens on, minimized/maximized, etc.
init        controls toolbar behavior, sets the names of the config files, time format, all kinds of useful stuff
keys        keybindings and mouse behavior
startup        controls how fluxbox starts (a little like openbox autostart, with some differences)
overlay        allows the user to override style elements
windowmenu    sets the window-control menu (shade/stick/maximize/iconify, and other options)

Fluxbox even has its own wiki: http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Fluxbox-wiki

and try typing "fluxbox" in the search box at the top right of your screen -- there are many fluxbox topics here...

and if that's not enough information, type one or both of these in a terminal (on the machine where you have fluxbox installed):

man fluxbox
man fluxbox-menu

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-22 02:08:57)

#3 2012-06-22 02:05:37

Wrobat
#! Member

I'm not looking for the config file. I am looking for the exacutable.

#4 2012-06-22 02:06:12

pidsley
Window Mangler

Wrobat wrote:

I'm not looking for the config file. I am looking for the exacutable.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Did you see the part I added to my first post?

"rootmenu" just means the menu displayed when a user clicks on the root window (the desktop). You won't find a file called "rootmenu"

In an unmodified fluxbox install on a Debian system, the rootmenu is an auto-generated "Debian" menu at /etc/X11/fluxbox-menu. But you should not modify this file; instead you should create your own menu in your ~/.fluxbox folder (you can copy the Debian menu from /etc/X11/fluxbox and modify it, but you will need to change its name to "menu"

Maybe you want MenuMaker? http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-22 02:09:56)

#5 2012-06-22 02:13:49

Wrobat
#! Member

I was hoping to modify the keybinding to tee the output of the menu into a file. This goes back to what we talked about the other day.

#6 2012-06-22 02:24:34

pidsley
Window Mangler

About the only way I can think of for you to log the menu entries is to pass all the menu args to a script that logs the entry and then calls the appropriate program. So in your fluxbox menu, instead of

[begin] (fluxbox)
      [exec] (terminal) {urxvt}
      [exec] (mail) {sylpheed}
      [exec] (web) {iceweasel}

You could do

[begin] (fluxbox)
      [exec] (terminal) {"menuscript urxvt"}
      [exec] (mail) {"menuscript sylpheed"}
      [exec] (web) {"menuscript iceweasel"}

and the the "menuscript" script could log which app it got as its argument, and then call the app.

Someone else might have a better idea.

Or you could just put the things you think you use most at the top of the menu, and make it easy to modify the menu by adding an "edit menu" menu entry. Fluxbox can reload its menu while its running, so you can modify the menu all day without ever shutting down the window manager.

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-22 02:31:59)

#7 2012-06-22 12:12:33

Wrobat
#! Member

I had that idea too, I was just hoping I would have to edit the whole menu and write that kind of script but it looks like thats whats going to happen.

thanks for the help again.

#8 2012-06-22 16:30:34

tradetaxfree
#! CrunchBanger

If you are looking for a Fluxbox menu script I've converted the Antix Linux menu script to run on Archbang here

It should only need a few modifications under the "System" part of the menu for #! & perhaps for "Exit" & "Files" also (have a look in ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml for the correct commands for your system)

You may also want to look at this #! startup script for Fluxbox

Last edited by tradetaxfree (2012-06-22 16:45:25)

Board footer