SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-11 10:57:44

EndlessDissent
#! CrunchBanger
Website

[SOLVED][Q] Windowlab autostart?

Well, I was inspired by this post in the 30 Window Managers thread to try WindowLab again. I had tried it a couple times before and liked it, but never stuck with it. Now, I would like to try to set up an autostart script to get things like wallpaper and conky working. In a couple of the window manager reviews in 2ManyDogs' thread, he redirects the .desktop file for the window manager to a startup script, which then launches the window manager. However, when I try to do that with WindowLab, I just end up back at the display manager. I've tried this with SLiM, LightDM, and GDM3 with the same results.

The original .desktop file for WindowLab looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=WindowLab.old
Comment=This session logs you into WindowLab
Exec=/usr/bin/windowlab
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

The new one looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=WindowLab
Exec=/home/endlessdissent/.config/autostart/windowlab
Icon=
Type=Application

The startup script I'm trying to run looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

nitrogen --restore &

(sleep 2s && conky -q) &

thunar --daemon &

(sleep 3s && clipit -n) &

/home/endlessdissent/.screenlayout/external.sh &

exec /usr/bin/windowlab -font Roboto -border white -active blue -inactive white -menu white -selected blue

The script in the second line from the bottom sets xrandr to use my external monitor. I should also mention that I've tried to comment out every line except the last one, and WindowLab still doesn't load. The script is marked as executable.

When I use the WindowLab.old session, WindowLab loads fine, as expected. I'm guessing that I'm going about this the wrong way, and this isn't how autostart in WindowLab works, if at all.

Is there a way to start WindowLab so that I can have everything running without my intervention?

Also, I've found that starting WindowLab with different display managers produces odd results. For instance, in LightDM, WindowLab loads exactly as expected and works fine. In Slim, the mouse pointer doesn't move, but if I right click and move the mouse to the menu bar, the menu options highlight even though the pointer is still at the bottom of the screen. In GDM3, it loads and works fine except that the mouse cursor doesn't change to a normal arrow; it's still the spinning "loading" cursor from GDM3. I'm not really sure what to do about this (probably just use LightDM), but I'd rather focus on the autostart script first.

WindowLab also doesn't seem to like having the display settings changed on the fly. My laptop display is 1366x768, and my external monitor is 1600x900. When I switch to only the external display, the menu bar doesn't fill the width of the monitor, and the edge of the menu bar is considered the screen edge, which means that the rightmost 234x900 area is useless. My guess is that if I can get the autostart script to work so that the display is set before WindowLab loads, this problem will fix itself.

Is autostarting programs in WindowLab possible at all, or should I just give up and stick to Openbox?

Last edited by EndlessDissent (2012-06-11 12:39:53)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-06-11 12:03:36

pidsley
Window Mangler

Re: [SOLVED][Q] Windowlab autostart?

I have an autostart script working with windowlab in the backports version of statler (this uses GDM).

2012_06_11_053249_1280x1024_scrot.jpg

I did a couple of things differently from your examples. I did not use "exec windowlab" in the startup script, and I specified the font differently.

Here is the start script:

#!/bin/bash

nitrogen --restore &
conky &
windowlab -font -*-lucida-medium-r-sans-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-* -border white -active blue -selected blue -inactive white -menu white 

Try copying this script exactly, make sure it works, and then start modifying it. Just specifying "-font lucida" does not work (Windowlab says "font not found" in the xsession error box).

And here is the .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=WindowLab
Exec=/home/pidsley/bin/start-wl
Icon=
Type=Application

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-11 12:34:59)

#3 2012-06-11 12:34:29

EndlessDissent
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thank you so much! I bet it was the font option that messed it up. I had no idea what the correct format was. There aren't any examples on the man page or anything, and I just kind of guessed. Unfortunately, Roboto doesn't show up in xfontsel, so I'm guessing that not all installed fonts are compatible.

Not that it matters anymore, but I only added the "exec" part because it wasn't working in the first place.

The right side of the screen was still useless, but I'm hoping I just need to tweak the startup script a little.

Thanks again!

#4 2012-06-11 12:37:13

pidsley
Window Mangler

^ you're welcome. Please mark the thread [solved] (edit the title of your first post).

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-11 12:39:00)

#5 2012-06-11 12:43:25

EndlessDissent
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Done. Should have done that before I replied. Sorry.

Also, I should note for anyone wondering, I got the right side of the screen working properly by making WindowLab sleep for a couple seconds before starting.

Still would be good to hear from people who've gotten WindowLab working properly with GDM3 and SLiM, but I can deal with LightDM for now.

#6 2012-06-11 12:45:53

pidsley
Window Mangler

EndlessDissent wrote:

Still would be good to hear from people who've gotten WindowLab working properly with GDM3 and SLiM

Don't hold your breath waiting for other windowlab users smile

Post a screenshot when you have it all working...

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-11 12:47:53)

#7 2012-06-11 13:58:07

EndlessDissent
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Little do you know, my lungs can hold infinite amounts of oxygen, so I'll hold my breath as long as I want tongue

Since you asked, here are a couple screenshots. I would like a better color combo to compliment the wallpaper, but it's at least better than bright yellow.

f86uB.jpg
gO2TW.jpg

Do you happen to know the criteria for the color options? I've checked the WindowLab website in the past, but aside from the menu configuration, all the WindowLab docs are sparse. Do you know if hex codes would work, or do they have to be English names?

Also, not that you're using that setup as a daily or anything, but it was better with the dark grey and light blue before the edit. Kind of why I went with light blue in my setup.

#8 2012-06-11 14:44:32

pidsley
Window Mangler

Nice screenshots.

I don't know what the options for colors are. I think you have to use names, but you might be able to use any name from this X11 color chart. Should be easy enough to test.

(edit) -- I tested it -- I set active to 'Medium Orchid' and selected to 'Olive Drab' and it worked -- use the color names exactly as they are on the chart, and if it's two words put single quotes around them. That chart should give you plenty of options.

I know the dark blue is ugly -- I only used it because I wanted to duplicate the script you posted in your first post to show you those colors worked. I was going to tell you it was ugly... smile

I only installed windowlab to test it this morning, and only on a test machine.

Last edited by pidsley (2012-06-11 16:28:03)

#9 2012-06-11 15:00:36

EndlessDissent
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Wow. Thanks again. That's good stuff to know.

Board footer