Here is the easiest way I found to install Firefox, Thunderbird, Googleearth, the Ubuntu fonts, Opera, Picasa, Skype, Oracle Virtual Box...
Add the following to your sources list:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main import upstream
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring
Now you can remove the 'main' repo from linuxmint sources (you probably don't want any mint goodies, it was just needed to get the key). Just keep 'import' and 'upstream'.
Voila, you can install any of the programs there.
If you run #! 64x, you need to
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk
before you install Googleearth.
Last edited by hasuin (2011-04-02 11:04:30)
Linux Registered User # 479739 - #! CrunchBang Statler Xfce.
"Entre Machine - Et moi Machin - Il s'pass' des choses - Des machins" --Serge Gainsbourg.
Thanks that worked perfectly.
Thanks a bunch. Just what I was looking for.:)
This was very useful information. Thanks for sharing!
#! 11 | Intel i5-2450M 2.50GHz | 8GB RAM | SAMSUNG SSD 830 128GB | Nvidia GeForce 610M
The suggestion worked just fine, BUT ... when I installed Firefox from the Mint repo, and opened it, all the menus and dialog boxes were in Dutch! I could find no way to change that, or find a way to select an English version from the repo.
I would then just go with the Firefox from the Mozilla site. I do not trust the Mint people in updating their Firefox regularly, just my opinion.
that is what I use and it does nothing to the system, self contained
i figured out how to solve the problem of firefox and thunderbird running in the wrong language when installed from the linux mint repos.
the first quick fix i found was to install the english language pack .xpi from mozilla: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Language_pack … guage_pack
however i couldn't get this to work with thunderbird...
the complete fix is to check synaptic. in my install it automatically selected the very first language pack in the list (afrikaans for firefox and arabic for thunderbird)... you'll have to select the incorrect packages (for me they were firefox-l10n-af and thunderbird-l10n-ar) and mark them for removal. then just mark the languages you need (i used *-l10n-en-gb but for american english you'll want *-l10n-en-us) for installation.
that should do it, worked for me.
Pretty much all those things you named off have a repo they are available from made specifically for debian. You have to add a lot more different repos, but you could be avoiding future breakage. Just be careful with /etc/apt/preferences and doing dist-upgrades when adding non-vanilla debian repos like this.