SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-01 20:37:53

greyproc
#! Member
Website

[SOLVED] How do I test Waldorf without a complete reinstall?

Quick question which I'm sure there must be a forum thread for already (if so, please direct me to it smile ), but how can I play with the new Waldorf test release, without reinstalling?  I've already set things up the way I like 'em, but since I've been using #! less than a day, I haven't gotten used to anything, like the comp manager --- it seems like it'd be reasonable to upgrade (and keep upgraded) to Waldorf, since that's the future.  How do I do that? neutral

And, a silly question, but how unstable is the experimental?  Presumably, because it's being worked on, any issues I run into, I can post here and get help with, so, what's the downside to testing?

Last edited by greyproc (2012-05-02 10:10:00)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-05-01 20:52:14

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How do I test Waldorf without a complete reinstall?

There are several guides here that can direct you on how to migrate to Testing.

You wold then point to the new Waldorf #! repo to grab any new applications.

Or, you could install the new Waldorf on another partition and use your current /home as the same user (providing /home is on a separate partition) and just install all your apps.  This way the settings of your apps are preserved.

I would do it the 2nd way I pointed out...  If your /home is not on a separate partition, there are several guides to help you get that also.

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#3 2012-05-01 20:53:46

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

You can also use Synaptic to make a app list dump of what you have and then import it on the new install via Synaptic which would then install them all

That would get you everything you have installed.

VSIDO | SolusOS

#4 2012-05-01 21:00:00

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

greyproc wrote:

And, a silly question, but how unstable is the experimental?  Presumably, because it's being worked on, any issues I run into, I can post here and get help with, so, what's the downside to testing?

Hello,

it's not a silly question, but we should clarify that Debian unstable is around as stable as Ubuntu, and Debian experimental not really recommended to use as daily system. But you probably mean the "Waldorf" experimental stage, and I dare say it is around as stable as Statler.

There is no real downside to testing, you will experience more upgrades than in stable, but generally I recommend: before you perform a dist-upgrade, check the forums for breakages or known issues.

Apart from that, there's nothing bad to say about testing. Many users here, me included, use Debian unstable as base.

You can be sure that if you run into problems, you'll find two or three handful of people to help you in less than 12 hours smile

#5 2012-05-01 21:20:08

vicshrike
#! by Default

Or make room for a small partition and install Waldorf to it. Or install it in a VM. Or why not, just enjoy Statler for a while! smile

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#6 2012-05-01 21:21:58

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Thanks for the responses. wink

My /home is on a separate partition; I've done some global config bits, though, like pruning /etc/skel, changing /etc/fstab, adding zfs (dkms creates the kernel modules against current kernel), and so on.  I haven't actually started installing a lot of apps; some lazy gui stuff (filezilla, bless), and important stuff (git). 

So, how can I 'upgrade' my system to Waldorf (it really needs a mustache!)? I mean, can I just put something in sources.list as a high priority and have it automatically install (and, of course, remove the old stuff) so that my system is 'current'?

I don't have TV, so the occasional breakage is fine, for the entertainment value alone. tongue

Is there already a thread with the steps I'd need to do, so I can just type apt-get dist-upgrade, and have it do all the work?

#7 2012-05-01 21:24:03

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

As stated, you can change to Testing and then add the new Waldorf to your sources.list.. That in effect is the same thing as an upgrade

VSIDO | SolusOS

#8 2012-05-01 22:42:38

greyproc
#! Member
Website

I'd rather do this right, than guessing.  Is there a Waldorf specific guide, or post on what I need to put into sources and preferences (pinning)?

#9 2012-05-01 22:44:09

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Not yet, but give it a day or three and there should be one available.

Machinebacon has the best one...  It really does not matter what ISO you use in following it.

Check out Quick References

VSIDO | SolusOS

#10 2012-05-01 23:03:45

TitanMech
Banned

greyproc wrote:

I'd rather do this right, than guessing.  Is there a Waldorf specific guide, or post on what I need to put into sources and preferences (pinning)?

If you would like i could copy and paste the /apt/sources and /apt/preferences from my vanilla installation here, then you just copy and paste them overwriting your sources and preferences file, followed by apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

#11 2012-05-01 23:09:24

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

It's basically only three steps, all as sudo:

1) Edit the sources.list

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and change every squeeze to wheezy, and every statler to waldorf. The backports lines can be commented (put a # in front). Save and exit.

For reference this is the sources.list of Waldorf - you can copy&paste it:

deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf waldorf main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
deb-src http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

2) Edit the apt-configuration

nano /etc/apt/apt.conf

and change the default release to wheezy

APT::Default-Release "wheezy";

The newest release doesn't have this file, but it doesn't hurt to create it.

3) Edit the apt-preferences

nano /etc/apt/preferences

and change the priority

Package: *
Pin: release a=waldorf
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 500

Then you can perform the upgrade:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It will most probably get stuck somewhere, in this case do

sudo apt-get install -f

Reference (change "sid" to "wheezy" and "unstable" to "testing"): http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … se-to-sid/

Edit: added the 'original' entries

Last edited by machinebacon (2012-05-03 14:27:17)

#12 2012-05-01 23:14:39

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Nicely done Mr Bacon...  as usual.  smile

VSIDO | SolusOS

#13 2012-05-01 23:33:52

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ Of course it's untested, but we have many eagle-eyed users who would notice garbage smile It should be okay.

#14 2012-05-02 08:36:53

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Brilliant, machinebacon. Thank you!

Everything downloaded... seemed to install nicely, but now, I've run into a bump... (And, I must apologize for my n00bishness; from just using tarballs, to becoming accustomed to apt-get'ing what I want, I haven't really learned the behind the scenes of apt-get and dpkg.)

The following extra packages will be installed:
cb-slim
The following NEW packages will be installed:
cb-slim
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
903 not fully installed or removed
Unpacking cb-slim (from .../archives/cb-slim_0.01_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/cb-slim_0.01_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/crunchbang/cb-user-setup', which is also in package crunchbang-bin-scripts 0.23
configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/cb-slim_0.01_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I tried deleting 'cb-user-setup', but obviously that was worthless; how does one fix these sort of conflicts? smile

EDIT: Well, THAT was an easy fix!  Googlefu returns, with amaretto in the coffee.  I'm sorted for the last error, with this:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/cb-slim_0.01_all.deb

(leaving in case anyone else encounters same thing)

Last edited by greyproc (2012-05-02 08:40:04)

#15 2012-05-02 09:05:35

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Next error:

Setting up live-config-sysvinit (3.0~a37-1crunchbang) ...
insserv: script live: service live-boot already provided!
update-rc.d: warning: live start runlevel arguments (none) do not match LSB Default-Start values (S)
insserv: script live: service live-boot already provided!
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing live-config-sysvinit (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of live-config:
 live-config depends on live-config-sysvinit | live-config-backend; however:
  Package live-config-sysvinit is not configured yet.
  Package live-config-backend is not installed.
  Package live-config-sysvinit which provides live-config-backend is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing live-config (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of live-initramfs:
 live-initramfs depends on live-config; however:  Package live-config is not configured yet.
 live-initramfs depends on live-config-sysvinit; however:  Package live-config-sysvinit is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing live-initramfs (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
configured to not write apport reports
live-config-sysvinit
 live-config
 live-initramfs
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Completely naive solution, which I've no clue about the ramifications of, but it worked and let me continue:

mv /etc/init.d/live-boot /etc/init.d/crap-live-boot

(This looks like some live CD stuff, which, since I don't know what it does, I thus assume I don't need it, so I'm rcconf'ing it away...)

#16 2012-05-02 10:07:11

greyproc
#! Member
Website

Thanks again, guys.  I really appreciate the hand-holding!

It looks like everything's up on my system, and I'm now cleaning up the daemons (openvpn... gdm(?!), pppd-dns, etc.) and then I'll be off to recompile my kernel (what's up with the ipmi_si errors? I thought I disabled all the crap AMT junk in the bios..).  Then, it'll be spending some quality time with el koraco's definitive guide to proprietary amd graphics drivers --- which is to say, I've got the virgin goat prepped and ready, the symbols drawn, the blood slightly chilled and spiced and ... candles! Augh, knew I forgot to pick something up while I was in town! tongue

Btw, Should /etc/lsb-release-crunchbang reflect my mustachioed heckling upgrade? (It's still at statler).

#17 2012-05-02 11:51:20

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

About the problems which occured:

The slim thingy might be a clash between the statl... sorry Waldorf version of slim and the one provided by Wheezy. We had a similar issue on older #! images regarding tint2, IIRC. You solved it exaclty the way it should be solved.

The live-boot stuff was a bug in Debian, that fragments were not removed after installation. aptosid/siduction has fixed this a while ago, so most probably it will be okay when Wheezy goes stable big_smile

Glad you got it all working, have fun and report issues if you find them in the Devel: Waldorf section of the forums smile

Btw, Should /etc/lsb-release-crunchbang reflect my mustachioed heckling upgrade? (It's still at statler).

lol YESH!

Edit: Is there still gdm? sudo dpkg-reconfigure slim to be sure.

Last edited by machinebacon (2012-05-02 11:54:09)

#18 2012-05-02 21:41:08

greyproc
#! Member
Website

SLIM is definitely loading (love the simplicity of the #! log in... but that matrix theme sure looks neat... oh, and when SLIM eats my music, it's not a problem; it's that when it pukes it back up, somehow it turns into Justin Beiber singing Kesha!) but gdm was still listed as a service.  Is there an automatic way of removing crap I know I'll never want again, beyond just deleted all the files? (ie, avahi)?

#19 2012-05-02 21:42:22

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

greyproc wrote:

Justin Beiber singing Kesha!

i thought she was called Ke-dollarsign-ha wink

#20 2012-05-02 21:55:50

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

@greyproc

sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove

And of course the epic bleachbit tool, which - in the wrong hands (used as sudo) - can remove more than needed big_smile

#21 2012-05-02 22:36:52

greyproc
#! Member
Website

rhowaldt: Times are tough; I had to keep the dollarsign for my self.  The thing is, I don't have either of those 'artists' on my system.. which means that SLIM is actually para-dimensional, and it's puking up someone else's music on my system. Someone here has really questionable taste.  In music. (I needed to clarify, of course, less my google video with safesearch off queries label me a hypocrite...) (Disclaimer: I haven't had a single problem with SLIM, but am trying to fit in by mocking the guy in that thread who did. ;p)

deliciousbacon: bleachbit looks nifty; ccleaner for 'nix? Very cool.  Though, specifically, I just want to remove the 'services' I know I won't need again, to clean up /etc/init.d/ a bit (just because too many files confuse me). I'll see if bleachbit'll do it, but, if not, is there a 'proper' way beyond just deleting? (I already apt-get removed avahi, and bluez... but it leaves the service files).

Also, curses at tint2 and conky for being so configurable! The latter, with the pitstop gallery, is an addictive time waster. (Darth Vader with a guitar = Win!)

#22 2012-05-03 11:31:20

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

greyproc wrote:

Though, specifically, I just want to remove the 'services' I know I won't need again, to clean up /etc/init.d/ a bit (just because too many files confuse me). I'll see if bleachbit'll do it, but, if not, is there a 'proper' way beyond just deleting? (I already apt-get removed avahi, and bluez... but it leaves the service files).

Use rcconf to disable/enable services. It's very simple.

sudo apt-get install rcconf

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#23 2012-05-03 11:47:49

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

TitanMech wrote:

If you would like i could copy and paste the /apt/sources and /apt/preferences from my vanilla installation here.

Can you (or anyone else) do this for me? I'm already using wheezy for a while and want to have a look at the differences with the new Waldorf. Thanks a lot!

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#24 2012-05-03 11:53:17

TitanMech
Banned

Hey Tunafish

Ive sent them via pm as to not clog this thread up, anyone else who wants them just send me a pm and i can send them to you to smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-09-10 00:55:30

s33ker

I just thought I would share that I used machinebacons method listed in here to do the "upgrade" today, and had no real problems with it.

It seems to be working fine, although the process was a little on the slow side due to the large volumes of stuff that had to be downloaded.

Not exactly a n00b project, but certainly doable by anyone who was even remotely familiar with a few concepts.

I have to offer my congrats to him on a job well done.

It's hard to remember your main objective was to drain the swamp, when you are up to you ass in alligators.

Board footer