SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-24 15:39:18

mdatkinson92

Iceweasel 10.0.2?

Has Iceweasel been compiled as version 10.0.2 yet? I know that's the latest version of FF.

Obviously I don't mind using Iceweasel in place of FF, it's the same thing, but I'd like for it to be the latest version. I've tried updating the packages but it seems 10.0 is the latest one in the repos.

Any advice?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-02-24 15:52:55

dubois
The Old Codger

Re: Iceweasel 10.0.2?

Yes.  I've been using that version for about a week, or since it came out, my memory doesn't remember.  tongue 

SEE  http://mozilla.debian.net/  to get yours.

#3 2012-02-24 17:21:55

mdatkinson92

Perfect! big_smile

#4 2012-02-25 14:08:05

kenwong
#! CrunchBanger

Can we expect it to be backported?

#5 2012-02-25 14:27:02

dubois
The Old Codger

It doesn't need to be backported.  It's current, it keeps itself current and if you want an earlier and still up-to date security-wise version just click the Release button.  That's what you wanted, right??  hmm

#6 2012-02-25 14:45:22

kenwong
#! CrunchBanger

I think I don't have a thorough understanding of how it works.  I already have this in my sources.list file:

## CRUNCHBANG MOZILLA
## Debian Mozilla Mirror
deb http://packages.crunchbang.org/statler-mozilla squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

Thank you in advance.

#7 2012-02-25 14:51:01

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Cr&p ... see post a couple posts down 1st. Statler pin-priority strikes again ! tongue

Try doing this in terminal ...

sudo apt-get update

Then ...

sudo apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel

That should do it me thinks. Just updated the iceweasel version on #! to it meself today. wink

PS, Might have to add this sucker to /etc/apt/sources.list too. Taken from my sources.list file.

# Iceweasel backports
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

Not sure if ya need to, would think they'd already be there if needed, if they aren't and apt-get complains of anything ... Like x blahblahblah is a dependency but will not be installed blahblahblah. Then adding that repo should/would clear things up. If ya have to add anything o course "sudo apt-get update" again afterwards.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 16:28:19)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#8 2012-02-25 14:53:44

dubois
The Old Codger

Oh.  Add the archieve keyring by clicking this  pkg-mozilla-archive-keyring package then using dpkg in terminal or gdebi.  Select which version you want by clicking it in Release.  Then run these two commands in terminal.

$ apt-get update
$ apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel

I believe that's it.  TBH it took me a couple trys before I got it right.  The archive keyring held me up.  wink

#9 2012-02-25 14:56:46

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Kinda weird, have done it both ways, added the keyring and other times not added the keyring for it. Apt will complain x packages have not been verified blahblah, still install em y/n ? I just hit y and all the stuff installed no prob, shrugs.

vll ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 14:57:25)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#10 2012-02-25 15:35:58

bozhkov
#! Junkie

The Crunchbang Iceweasel repo is still on 10.0.0.

#11 2012-02-25 15:39:09

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

If that other backport repo isn't in your sources.list ... add it. Also o course as mentioned do the "sudo apt-get update" to refresh the available packages before trying to install it. Took me a coupla minutes to figure out, kept getting complaints about depends on some package, but it will not be installed. Fiddled around with it, turned out I needed to "sudo apt-get update" to getterdone.

Oops, just reread the person aboves repo, isn't the same as the ones I have. Might consider adding both the repo's I'd posted up there and commenting out the one for statler. Just booted #!, don't have the newer #! release installed atm. But like said ... updated the older version to 10.0.2 no probs. No reason it'd be any different on the newest one. Not sure why the statler repo comes with such a high priority outta the box. To even get a newer version of iceweasel on this OS, had to comment out the statler repo's.

Corenominal did everyone a favor though and gave people an updated version default regardless. Sratch that dang it, check out that link below folks and follow it to the stuff about apt pinning or use the other stuff to run some browsers from /home imo anyway. Starting to feel like I'm #! bashing here. They may revoke my crunchcard. Think we all know #! is da bomb, the repo's tug o war is a tad aggravating @ times though.

myusername@systemname:~$ iceweasel --version
Mozilla Iceweasel 10.0.2
myusername@systemname:~$

Folks might want to check out that monstrous thread too. Honestly nothing against Iceweasel at all and I like keeping it default. But really no advantage to using it over running summin directly downloaded from mozilla. All those browsers update with zero problems running from folders in /home.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 16:30:02)

#12 2012-02-25 17:06:12

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

bozhkov wrote:

The Crunchbang Iceweasel repo is still on 10.0.0.

There we have it again, this repo makes no sense IMO. It is still on 10.0.0 and there are real security issues, that is why there is 10.0.2, two times Mozilla found a hole.

That would now sound harsh but I would now even consider that all here remove the #! repo for security measures or @corenominal updates the Iceweasel version.

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2012-02-25 17:06:44)

#13 2012-02-25 17:39:18

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Yep more babble, sure everyone is thrilled, includ me. Ye gawds I annoy myself with this #! forum binge I've got going ! neutral

Thought the same Ivan, but didn't want to tell folks to just push the easy button, cuz still not sure. As long as the squeeze security repo is in folks sources.list thought surely security stuff will get taken care of even w/o the statler repo. But then thought dang it, what happens if Corenominal comes out with a tweak or patch/whatever thingy and the statler repo's x'ed out ?

Think it's just an oversight, nobodies perfect and Corenominal only has 24hrs in hiz dy too. Know Ivan isn't ragging on #!. Though agree it's kind of annoying and has caused me problems. Stumbled on the solution searching the #! forum and been using it ever since. Commenting out the statler repo works, only not sure it's the best way to do things.

Guess there's stuff like apt-pinning, changing preferences, forcing version or wouldn't the below cmd get the packages to install from the debian backports, statler repo or no ... if they add the repo's above to their /etc/apt/sources.list file ?

sudo apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel

Admit am not an apt guru, nix guru. Errrr ... not much of an anything guru. But will deny it profusely and like to tell people I know EVERYTHING most the time. tongue Admit Ivan knoweth more about such stuff than I do. Just noting all this babble for the sake of completeness. So I don't ignorantly steer anybody in the wrong direction. Hopefully Corenominal finds the time to sort it out for us before long. Gotta admit though, having iceweasel 10.0.0 is a heckuva lot better than v 3.5 outta da box.

VLL fellow #!'ers !  wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 17:46:03)

#14 2012-02-25 17:47:37

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

CBizgreat! wrote:

Gotta admit though, having iceweasel 10.0.0 is a heckuva lot better than v 3.5.

But not security wise. Debian already patches, @corenominal not AFAIK.

This is not intented to be a bash of course but as you said this is extra work, so why the double work? The Debian Mozilla repo is already there for us. I assume to have an out of the box experience when first installed maybe, but even so @corenominal could include the Debian Mozilla repo if possible by default into #! just like this backports approach.

#15 2012-02-25 17:57:39

bozhkov
#! Junkie

The Debian Mozilla repository requires the backports repository to be enabled - probably that was why it was mirrored - but for example I use  the bpo version of the latest Statler release and it makes sense to have the Mozilla repository enabled by default.

#16 2012-02-25 18:00:28

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

If had to take a wild shot in the dark ... aka: guess. Like many, mas, mucho distro's Corenominal probably wants to make sure a #! branded iceweasel ships with the distro. Though I won't/can't swear to that. Nor see much wrong with it personally. We all know he has to eat like the rest of us and getting rid of any branding really takes someone 1 min or less.

Not sure which way to side on the one hand, yep can be a pita on the other everybodies gotta eat. Even one man distro maintainers, shrugs. Though do think some shooting oneself in the foot is going on. Don't even wanna think how many people skipped over this kickbutt nix OS cuz of iceweasel 3.5. People WANT new web browsers. If someone won't give it to em. Guessing many will quickly hop down the road to summin else.

If it has to do with branding, would say it's time to put the thinking cap back on. Have seen many the good gnu/nix distro shoot themselves in the foot doing something I consider extremely dumb. Like LM with the let's try to please everyone ! We'll include gnome3, MATE and a startup app list longer than my arm, thata way they can pick ! Yeah right ... DANG IT!!!, they had buntu in the corner and on the ropes ! sad

So still hope Core comes up with a better approach that can satisfy everyone, anything is poss me thinks. Until then plenty of ways to keep an updated browser on anything #! just have to work a bit harder now and again.

END BABBLE .. gawd !

Nope ... thought of a question. Is that the only time mozilla releases an update ... Sec issues ? Or can it be other stuff too, a lil tweak in the browser etc ? Really doubt a trivial Sec hole is all that big o deal in gnu/nix and #! anyway. Now it may destroy window$ users by the millions. But as we here all obviously have much better taste in operating systems. Seriously doubt a .0.1 browser security patch would be much to loose any sleep over. Ran iceweasel 3.5 or 6 for quite awhile, my #! OS never got infected or even got a runny nose the whole time. wink

Actually imo Ivan hit on a dang good solution. Do more to keep the statler browser packages up to date. Guessing a web browser is the single most used app on a PC, shrugs. In fact, am a firm believer in one upping da competition whenever poss. If other distro's have FF v 10.0.2 avail, think would be in #!'s favor to have v 10.0.2 + Aurora ( aka: FF v 11) in the repos for easy install. And now ... I give up, gave myself a friggin headache w this thread. Time for more coffee and some tylenol. As usual, shudda just kept my endless babbling 2 meself ! Arghhhh !

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 18:26:23)

#17 2012-02-25 20:51:48

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

ivanovnegro wrote:

But not security wise. Debian already patches, @corenominal not AFAIK.

Is corenominal responsible for me to update my system and keep it secure?

I thought crunchbang provided the base and I provided the direction...

As pointed out, there are several ways to get to 10.0.2

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#18 2012-02-25 21:02:35

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

YES DANG IT ... EVERYBODY KNOWS, THAT EVERYTHING, IS ALWAYS CORENOMINALS FAULT AND/OR RESPONSIBILITY !!!!

Messing around, looks like things need a tension breaker. wink

List of things that are Corenominals fault!

World War 1, 2 and possibly even 3.
Hunger in da 3rd world.
People who sing in da shower ( esp the one's who sing badly.)
Parking tickets.
Chili with too many spices in it.
Days that end in y
Storm troopers

Think that's about enough, but there are more darn it !

vll ! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-25 21:08:18)

#19 2012-02-25 21:29:25

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

VastOne wrote:

Is corenominal responsible for me to update my system and keep it secure?

I thought crunchbang provided the base and I provided the direction...

As pointed out, there are several ways to get to 10.0.2

I think my request is reasonable because @corenominal put a repo for Iceweasel in Crunchbang. Many folks use that one on a default install.

He is not responsible what I do with my system but a default install of Crunchbang at the moment is open for vulnerabilty.

Everyone is responsible to stay up-to-date with its system security wise but that is not possible with Iceweasel from the Crunchbang repo at least not at the moment as I understand it.

And yes, we already suggested what to do, but what is then the purpose to have an own Iceweasel repo?

#20 2012-02-26 09:59:57

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

I think invanovnegro has a very good point here. If the crunchbang repo is less secure, shouldn't crunchbang just ship with the debian repo?

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#21 2012-02-26 10:44:43

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Guessing Coremoninal has a reason. Sure both sides have a point. Just think real security concern is kind of an over-reaction when you're talking about iceweasel v 10.0.0 compared to .0.2. Mentioned ran iceweasel v 3.6 for a couple months before getting tired of it and figuring out how to update the sucker. Grand total of anything like a security issue from using IW 3.6 ? NOTHING, nada, zilch, BIG ZERO. Gnu/nix is famed for being uber secure. Not like if action isn't taken this instant we're all GONNA DIE .. or nuttin. smile

And hey ... at least now it's been brought up, shrugs. Gives the guy a chance to think about what can be done ... blahblahblah. Everybody has to admit a jump from v 3.5 to 10.0.0 is a decent jump in the right direction. So Corenominal's working on it anyway. Anyone who takes a bit of time can figure out how to install any web browsers they want either way. It'll get sorted out, one way or other. Just a babbling 2 cents on the topic.

Happy computing folks ! tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-26 11:22:45)

#22 2012-02-26 14:03:14

bozhkov
#! Junkie

As pointed in the topic already the 3.6 version of Iceweasel in the debian repository is receiving security updates, whereas 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 were released precisely to solve serious vulnerabilities in the 10.0.0 version that we have in the statler iceweasel repo. smile

#23 2012-02-26 15:55:03

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

I thought when coming across this thread. Ha ! This will be easy, just did this 20mins ago, I got this one, good dealio ! Will be able to help give folks an easy, quick solution .. no prob. And that's where it all went wrong, so wrong. Now seems the thread has jumped tracks and the freedom n safety of the free world hinges upon two numbers = 0.2 ... lol

Am not too worried, well sheesh, don't have reason to be, everything IW and mozilla is up2date. Though if it is any kinda real sec issue then hope it's sorted quickly. Same thing is supposed to have happened with Chrome v17.xxxxxxx recently. Tad bit annoying, hoping mozilla does better with the rapid release junk they've been forced into. Hardly use IW ... or the stable FF version much anyway. But the musical browser version thing is already getting old. Thinking about staying around x version and forgetting about updatitus for awhile.

Answer to updating is covered in this thread, then recovered me thinks. Not that it resolves the issue for everyone. I mean can anyone really informed on this matter put a number on it ... ie: Odds of this being anything to really be concerned about for people using that browser version ?

vll !

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-26 15:57:55)

#24 2012-02-26 15:59:24

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

It was only a suggestion and food for mind, seems some people took that as an offense. I still believe my point was reasonable and just a suggestion to make #! better.

Your computer won't explode either but if you want to know what vulnerabilty exists just go to the Mozilla security page and you will see.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-02-26 16:04:11

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

I didn't Ivan ( I mean wasn't offended etc.) ... More than anything, just was meant to be clowning around. Actually did visit and read what this n that webpg had to say about it. But am not at all a tech guru. So some of what it led to may as well have been in Chinese. Could lead to crash, may be exploitable. Then onto buffer overflow this n that. Couldn't make heads nor tails of wth it all meant really. If it's a problem, then glad you suggested it gets looked at. Nothing wrong with that. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-26 16:06:40)

Board footer