SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-12 22:32:41

Chriswaterguy
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Forum search

"At least 30 seconds have to pass between searches. Please wait a while and try searching again."

This bugs the heck out of me. When I get no hits, I modify and search again immediately.

5 seconds would surely be enough for a logged-in user?

Learning Linux slowly because I'm busy with Appropedia

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-04-12 22:42:52

Mehall
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Forum search

I've suggested before lowering limits on this and on time between posts.

At the least can we lower this one, Philip?

Oh, and I have an @ coming your way on identi.ca

Found the Arch thread, and it wasn;t a big thread on here, it was mainly a link to Arch.

Ex-KDE user.
Collects old PC's (Coz he can't afford new ones =P)
Crunchbang @ Distrowatch
My Blog (updated infrequently, and on the #! Planet too.)

#3 2009-04-12 23:30:20

corenominal
WRONG
Website

I would be hesitant to change this limiter as search functions are generally quite resource intensive. I will give it some thought though, meanwhile, if you are struggling with the forums internal search feature, you could always Google with a query like so:

site:crunchbanglinux.org/forums/ xxxx

Where xxxx is your query. smile

#4 2009-04-12 23:37:16

Mehall
#! Die Hard
Website

Fair point. You could always hack PunBB apart and use Google Internally wink

Ex-KDE user.
Collects old PC's (Coz he can't afford new ones =P)
Crunchbang @ Distrowatch
My Blog (updated infrequently, and on the #! Planet too.)

#5 2009-04-13 01:36:26

kBang
#! Die Hard

corenominal wrote:

I would be hesitant to change this limiter as search functions are generally quite resource intensive. I will give it some thought though, meanwhile, if you are struggling with the forums internal search feature, you could always Google with a query like so:

site:crunchbanglinux.org/forums/ xxxx

Where xxxx is your query. smile

I agree, however non-forum members should not have the ability to do a forum search.  As irritating as it is, I myself have been restricted from doing forum searches on those forums I am not a member of.  I don't get upset over this, it is completely understandable.

What peeves me more is the time limit on replying.  Sometimes I can answer forum questions quickly (since I am only apt enough to answer the easiest of questions big_smile ), but most often it's a post followed by a reply to a different thread.

Oh well, I just consider it the limitations of the internet and it's overcrowdedness.

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#6 2009-04-13 16:58:20

Chriswaterguy
#! CrunchBanger
Website

corenominal wrote:

I would be hesitant to change this limiter as search functions are generally quite resource intensive.

Ok, it's obviously your call on resources use. I'm surprised if it saves much, though, given we're talking about people and not bots. A genuine user will probably do the same search anyway, just a few seconds later. The only difference in my case is that I end up with several windows open and more a more fragmented mind.

Having a Google search option on the site could be handy - esp on the search rejection page (under the error message). A lot less fiddly than manually doing a site:crunchbanglinux.org/forums/ xxxx

For myself, I've created a bookmark in my browser (SwiftWeasel, a Mozilla browser, close to Firefox) to use for searches:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe … rums/%20%s

I use cbf as a keyword for the standard #! forum search, so this one I've made cf.

So I can search for openbox menu in the forums by typing cf openbox menu in the address bar.

Someone who has time might like to make a bookmarklet for it - I've blogged on bookmarklets for wikis, so it shouldn't be hard to hack that.

Last edited by Chriswaterguy (2009-04-13 16:59:48)

#7 2009-04-13 18:57:22

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Chriswaterguy wrote:

Having a Google search option on the site could be handy - esp on the search rejection page (under the error message). A lot less fiddly than manually doing a site:crunchbanglinux.org/forums/ xxxx

Good idea, thank you! I will look into it when I get some time. smile

#8 2009-04-16 12:51:48

fhsm
#! Junkie

+1 for anything that takes away the 30 second rule for logged in users.  Even if it was just after a search that returned 0 results.

#9 2009-04-16 16:09:48

iggykoopa
Script Master

heres a bookmarklet I made for google #! forum search, just copy the whole thing to a bookmark and when you click on the bookmark it'll pop up asking for the search terms.

javascript:var%20phrase%20=%20prompt("search%20#!%20forums");%20location=("http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acrunchbanglinux.org%2Fforums%2F+"%20+%20escape(phrase))

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#10 2009-04-16 16:24:26

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Or if you want a bookmarklet that works on the current site (not just #!):

javascript:q=""+(window.getSelection?window.getSelection():document.getSelection?document.getSelection():document.selection.createRange().text);if(!q)q=prompt("Search%20terms%20[leave%20selection%20and%20box%20blank%20to%20list%20all%20pages]%20...").replace(/\s\+/g,"%252B");if(q!=null)location="http://www.google.com/search?q="+q.replace(/\s+/g,"+")+"+site:"+location.hostname;void(0);

#11 2010-01-24 06:20:29

nabilalk
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Or if you want a bookmarklet that works on the current site (not just #!):

javascript:q=""+(window.getSelection?window.getSelection():document.getSelection?document.getSelection():document.selection.createRange().text);if(!q)q=prompt("Search%20terms%20[leave%20selection%20and%20box%20blank%20to%20list%20all%20pages]%20...").replace(/\s\+/g,"%252B");if(q!=null)location="http://www.google.com/search?q="+q.replace(/\s+/g,"+")+"+site:"+location.hostname;void(0);

Awesome bookmarklet!

#! 10 “Statler” r20110207 32-bit & Openbox

#12 2010-01-24 13:06:04

Chriswaterguy
#! CrunchBanger
Website

extremely handy - thanks anonymous!

Board footer