SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-09 14:14:35

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

CrunchBang Online Mini Video Tour (sorry, no sound)

One of the packages installed in CrunchBang is RecordMyDesktop.  You can access if by right-clicking on the lxpanel area, add "Application Launch Bar", edit "Application Launch Bar" entry then click ADD.   You should find "gtk-recordMyDesktop".

I tried it out although I did not add any audio narrative (sorry, maybe next time).  Since PC screen movement is not exactly fast I changed the "frames per second" from the default 15 to only 3 (this will make smaller video files).  The program outputs an *.ogv file instead of one of the more common video formats.  I made a one line ffmpeg command line script to convert to a flash *.flv video file (compatible with YouTube).

I wondered how much the quality would suffer if I uploaded to YouTube.  Unfortunately, my *.flv video file was over 20 minutes.  Apparently YouTube only allows up to 10 minutes.

So, I put the *.flv video file directly on my web host for viewing.  The downside is that my host does not have virtually unlimited virtual bandwidth like Google's YouTube.

View 20+ minute video clip: http://lasvalley.com/mixx/flv-player.ht … p-tour.flv

9861i8.jpg

If you have suggestions about making this sort of CrunchBang quick "tour" more useful, what to focus on to make a short video clip series compatible with YouTube's 10 minute limitation, etc., pass them along.

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2008-12-09 15:05:46)

============= You are the dreamer - and the dream =============

gooplusplus.com (goo++) --- compact web tools + 240 internet radio stations

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2008-12-09 21:13:08

./karlos

Re: CrunchBang Online Mini Video Tour (sorry, no sound)

wow... that's really cool... you'll have to do a shorter one for U - toob

registered linux user #413097 | _/\o_ | CHANT: Hare Krishna, Hare Rama... AND BE HAPPY

#3 2008-12-10 00:49:13

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

./karlos wrote:

wow... that's really cool... you'll have to do a shorter one for U - toob

The video is too long, especially with no accompanying audio narrative.  Shorter would be better.

Rather than just "winging it", I likely need to script and prioritize things in advance about what best to highlight to keep viewer interest.

What would you list as favorite features of CrunchBang
to be demonstrated to those unfamiliar with CrunchBang or Linux?   How can those features best be exhibited in a quick, focused manner?

Using gtk-recordMyDesktop software is surprisingly easy to use (click red to start, click white square in panel tray to stop).  I would hope others with more CrunchBang experience make their own video clips.  I would strongly suggest that you click "Advanced" to set gtk-recordMyDesktop "frames per second" to 3 in order to keep video files relatively small.

Converting from *.ogv to *.flv (YouTube compatible) files is easy too:

(1) open a command-line terminal
(2) create a one line ffmpeg conversion script ogv2flv
(3) run the script: sudo . ogv2flv ogv-filename

If the file is under 10 minutes long (YouTube restriction), the resulting *.flv file should be under 75MB.

From the file manager click on your *.flv file to view in Totem movie player.

If you don't want to upload your *.flv file to YouTube, you can upload elsewhere and view online:

http://lasvalley.com/mixx/flv-player.html?www.yourhost.com/you/yournew.flv

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2008-12-10 00:52:52)

#4 2008-12-10 01:18:45

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

In command line terminal, create ogv2flv script

sudo su
echo "ffmpeg -i $1.ogv -s 640x480 -b 700000 -ab 320k -qscale 1 $1$2.flv">ogv2flv
chmod 744 ogv2flv

BTW, some of the parameters here are rumored (U.K. -> rumoured) to be best for YouTube.

Last edited by NewCityVegas (2008-12-10 03:18:34)

Board footer