SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-16 20:38:25

industrialphreak
Website

NVidia non-free drivers, twinview and stupidity....

Well after battling about a week or so trying to get my new OEM Gigabyte Nvidia Gforce GT440 video card working with my computer i finally decided to try the simple way to get everything working..

Suffered a couple corrupted kernals,Xorg, and other demonic possesions of my computer system doing the "debian way" and how others suggested to install drivers for nVidia...

with that out of the way ill describe how i got everything running painlessly. WARNING! i can not and will not be held responsible is this method seriously borks your install or causes any harm in any way to your system. For christs sake your using a distribution of linux called Crunch Bang! use a little common sense.

1) Download the *.run driver package for your specific kernal/ generic flavor from the nvidia drivers page.
    (i chose to dl the 64bit driver for my particular cpu/mobo combo)

2) TAR backup all your settings/configurations, and installed applications. I dont care how you prefer to do this just make sure you do this. theirs litteraly a million ways to do this go take a quick google session to figure this out.

3) reboot your computer, choose from your grub boot menu "recovery mode" this will drop you into your console only mode. ( for some reason the driver will not run correctly if you have any instance of X running so a simple ctrl+alt+F8 will not work)  you have to litterally have no freaking instance of X running at all in your memory bank...

4) cd to your downloads directory and run the driver you downloaded in sudo sh ./******yourdriver***.run

5) Follow all onscreen instructions quite a few nag screens, do what most likely makes sense to you.

6) when all is said and done the the installer finishes reboot your computer with sudo reboot -n

7) boot back into a X session/standard GUI desktop.

glasses you should be golden from here, if you want to rock multi monitor setup and your card supports this "true dual head card"  fire up nvidia-settings with [   gksudo nvidia-settings  ]

I personally use separate X Screens (requires X restart) and enable Xinerama. Make sure you also make a xorge.conf backup before saving anything.

This can be done in terminal with the following command [  sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup  ]

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
-Albert Einstein.

View my blog http://www.industrialphreak.blogspot.com/

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-08-16 22:07:53

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: NVidia non-free drivers, twinview and stupidity....

#3 2011-08-17 04:30:01

industrialphreak
Website

Re: NVidia non-free drivers, twinview and stupidity....

I found a couple other threads, from the short scan through them it seemed they were for the gen-pop garage drivers.

Thanks for the update, thought i might make a entertaining "simplified" guide.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
-Albert Einstein.

View my blog http://www.industrialphreak.blogspot.com/

Board footer