SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 11:49:18

slapfish
#! Die Hard

Thunar 1.2.1 problems [OpenBox] [wheezy]

I'm running #! wheezy openbox (actually testing in the repos) and a couple of days ago I got the updated thunar and my file-manager was finally (almost) complete. Network browse (if only it will prompt for user/pass) and all partitions are now listing on the side.

But I came up with two problems. Thumbnails and trash stopped working. Trash actually doesn't work for ntfs partitions. It produces this error:

Unable to find or create trash directory

Anyone using wheezy and having the same problem? any thoughts? Should I file a bug?

SOLUTION for thumbnails: installing tumbler fixes the thumbnails.

sudo aptitude install tumbler

SOLUTION for trash: Add the uid=1000 mount option to fstab entries for the ntfs partitions and REBOOT.

UUID=YourNTFSuuid     /mount/point     ntfs     defaults,uid=1000     0     0

Last edited by slapfish (2011-05-12 10:46:49)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-05-11 11:56:18

root
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Thunar 1.2.1 problems [OpenBox] [wheezy]

I am not using Wheezy, but Squeeze with Xfce 4.8 and Thunar 1.2.1.
My thunar does not pose the problems you have.

/

#3 2011-05-11 12:00:28

slapfish
#! Die Hard

How did you install xfce 4.8?

By the way, the same two problems were also introduced to my second laptop as well.

#4 2011-05-11 12:07:44

omns
#! wanderer

slapfish wrote:

How did you install xfce

It's a little bit rough but I did it this way http://omnsproject.org/?p=1055

#5 2011-05-11 12:18:29

root
#! CrunchBanger

slapfish wrote:

How did you install xfce 4.8?

I installed it from sid.
Just the way omns did it, but without his script.

I have all debian repositories in my sources.list and have them pinned the same way omns has.

After a debian netinstall I installed Xfce 4.8 from unstable.

/

#6 2011-05-11 12:55:47

#! CrunchBanger

slapfish wrote:

I'm running #! wheezy (actually testing in the repos) and a couple of days ago I got the updated thunar and my file-manager was finally (almost) complete. Network browse (if only it will prompt for user/pass) and all partitions are now listing on the side.

But I came up with two problems. Thumbnails and trash stopped working. I fixed the trash by deleting the ~/.local/share/Trash folder and the new that was created fixed the problem. I tried the same with the ~/.Thumbnails folder but I ended up loosing ALL the thumbnails. Now none of the pictures, pdf, video etc are getting a thumbnail view. Just the icon of its type.

Anyone using wheezy and having the same problem? any thoughts? Should I file a bug?

exactly the same problem here...also running testing
and, not sure if related, but ever since i cannot unmount any device such as a usb pen without thunar complaining!

#7 2011-05-11 13:07:53

slapfish
#! Die Hard

#1936 wrote:

exactly the same problem here...also running testing
and, not sure if related, but ever since i cannot unmount any device such as a usb pen without thunar complaining!

Yes...that too... the exo-mount warning again.

I wonder if it (trash and thumbnails, not the exo-mount warning) has to do something with fstab permissions. The trash problem hasn't fixed for my ntfs partition. It still gives the error:

Unable to find or create trash directory

#8 2011-05-11 15:22:37

slapfish
#! Die Hard

I was reading the arch forum about thunar and I was able to fix the thumbnails problem by installing tumbler. I also understood that the trash problem is still unresolved if you run thunar outside xfce4.

#9 2011-05-11 15:28:45

#! CrunchBanger

slapfish wrote:

I was reading the arch forum about thunar and I was able to fix the thumbnails problem by installing tumbler. I also understood that the trash problem is still unresolved if you run thunar outside xfce4.

correct as i'm running the openbox version.

#10 2011-05-12 07:59:57

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

I am using testing openbox and thunar 1.2.1
I works fine, except... it takes a real long time for thunar to start. This might have something to do with the partitions listing on the left. It shows one partition, which is mounted to /dev/dm-1 (this is my encrypted /home). When i click the partition i get an error: "failed to mount, /dev/dm-1 is mounted."

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#11 2011-05-12 10:19:58

slapfish
#! Die Hard

I don't know what happen today but trash is working for all partitions now. Yesterday, no matter what I have tried (but without reboot, only logout/login) thunar was refusing to create a trash in my ntfs data partition. What I did before shutdown was to comment the "thunar --deamon &" in autostart.sh so the next time I can run thunar like this:

dbus-launch thunar

So today, I executed the above command and thunar was deleting from every partition without a problem. I then un-comment the "thunar --deamon &" and reboot to see if this was the real problem or the dbus-launch the solution. Strangely enough, thunar was again creating the trash on ntfs partition, without the dbus-launch and having started as deamon on startup. I don't really know what dbus-launch does but it seams to me that either is just needed to be run once, or the real problem was something else.

Just remembered that I have also changed the fstab mount options of the ntfs partition to

UUID=0C2E5D4C2E5D3046     /media/Dsda2     ntfs     defaults,user,noexec,uid=1000     0     0

and have commented the windows C partition which I wasn't mounting anyway, but I had set it to be mounted as ro and noexec if I wanted to mount and check anything there.

I think I'm going to play with the fstab option a little more to see if this will bring the trash problem back.\

By the way, none of the internal ntfs partitions can be mounted or unmounted using thunar. I get an authentication error and only root can mount respectively. So I guess this is another problem to be solved. External hds and usb sticks are unmounting and mounting without any problems.

EDIT: uid=1000 is the solution to the trash problem.

Running thunar as root is giving a dbus error and doesn't show the partitions, but running dbus-launch thunar as root fixes the dbus errors and partitions can now be mounted/unmounted. So my final question if anyone is still reading my posts:

How can I give the proper permissions to my ntfs partitions in order to be mounted/unmounted in thunar? apparently the user mount options isn't working, or I'm missing something. Also how can I set root thunar to listen to dbus without dbus-launching it?

Last edited by slapfish (2011-05-12 10:42:16)

#12 2011-05-17 13:02:28

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

New (or at least not-noticed-before-by-me) problem with Thunar.
My external usb storage mounts in thunar automatically, but is read-only. I've seen the thread on the arch forums, but i couldn't solve it for crunchbang.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111867&p=5

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#13 2011-05-17 16:10:42

Awebb
The Singularity

Since I'm not on #!... How do you guys start the desktop? I use slim to start the session with dbus and consolekit in mind. I use a similar setup (Compiz stand alone + thunar) and it works through slim. I'm at work right now, so if I didn't edit this thing in 5 hours, feel free to PM me as a reminder.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#14 2011-05-18 11:23:17

Awebb
The Singularity

root wrote:

I am not using Wheezy, but Squeeze with Xfce 4.8 and Thunar 1.2.1.
My thunar does not pose the problems you have./

First of all: You guys should all listen to root. Thunar underwent a change from hal to dbus (and it's followers) so all but the latest version should give you errors when trying to mix old and new additions. Since thunar needs gnomevfs for things like trashbin and samba/cifs stuff, you should see into getting the latest gvfs that does not require hal. Never use a new 3rd party source without matching new versions of all dependecies.

So gvfs should be an optional dependency for the thunar package... or however they're called in Debian land. Check it out.

Sooo thanks to Thunafish for reminding me.

1. Starting a session with dbus and consolekit without a DM or a DM that does not support consolekit sessions
1.1 Have dbus installed and started (the daemon).
1.2 Have consolekit installed.
1.3 In the end of your ~/.xinitrc: exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session ck-launch-session SESSION_NAME, while SESSION_NAME is the name of your session... :-P (gnome-session, startkde, startxfce, openbox-session, fusion-icon...)

2. Starting a dbus session with consolekit in SLiM
2.1 Have dbus up and running.
2.2 Have consolekit installed.
2.3 Have SLiM installed and run it either as daemon or as default in runlevel 5.
2.4  /etc/slim.conf

login_cmd           exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session 

2.5 In your ~/.xinitrc:

exec SESSION_NAME

2.5.1 You can also configure slim to "recognize" the session the the name. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sl … vironments

3. Session with dbus and consolekit with GDM
3.1 Have dbus up and running.
3.2 Have consolekit installed.
3.3 GDM (not gdm-legacy) will start a session with all you need (all that pam/dbus/consolekit/policykit/whatnot)
3.4 Start the frickin session.

#15 2011-05-18 15:16:52

macondo123
#! CrunchBanger

It could be a zillion things, first, you have devs from thunar, crunchbang, debian, etc, why not try xfe? life is too short smile

Desktop: Atom 1.6 || 1 MB RAM || 160 GB HD
Minimal Squeeze || icewm/fluxbox/ratpoison
KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid

#16 2011-05-18 17:54:49

Awebb
The Singularity

macondo123 wrote:

It could be a zillion things, first, you have devs from thunar, crunchbang, debian, etc, why not try xfe? life is too short smile

I tried to list reasons, but the board software won't let me send that post without double posting.

Board footer