SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-05 20:22:06

harry_luffa

Mac Network

I'm a newbie looking for help with networking. 

I'm running #! on a laptop that I'd like to connect to my home network for file sharing and printing.  I'm trying to find something with a GUI front end similar to what you'd find on a mac--I had the thing hooked up with ssh from the terminal, but couldn't figure out how to scp files (kept getting error messages). 

All the other machines on the network are macs--two are running 10.4.11, but the one thats hooked up via ethernet to the router is running Panther (that's my server).

When I run WakeOnLan from any of the other computers the ip address for the linux machine shows up, but I've had no luck connecting from the macs (tried fiddling with all the settings in System Preferences>Sharing).

I'm probably overlooking a simple configuration on the linux side, but I'm at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2008-12-05 20:27:07

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Mac Network

harry_luffa wrote:

I'm trying to find something with a GUI front end similar to what you'd find on a mac-

Do you mean like clicking on Network in the Finder and all your shares on other machines appear?

Edit: Moved to Help and Support smile

#3 2008-12-05 20:41:47

harry_luffa

Yes--the best scenario would be to have the linux machine show up in Finder.

PS:  Thanks for moving this to Help...couldn't decide which forum to post in.

#4 2008-12-05 20:47:10

omns
#! wanderer

In that case you need something that will share your folders to your macs. The method I use for this is to install nautilus, the nautilus shares plugin and samba. The downside is that this will bring a lot of gnome libraries with it to make it work. If you don't mind that then this should work ok. Nautilus should also allow you to browse the shares and printers on your macs in much the same way the mac finder does. I know there are some problems with nautilus accessing windows shares but I believe macs should be okay. There are other options like lin-neighbourhood but I don't know enough about them to offer an opinion.

#5 2008-12-06 00:09:45

harry_luffa

omns,

Gave nautilus a quick try.  Weird--I had a file saved in "desktop" and it showed up on the desktop.  Tried hooking up first with windows sharing, then ftp, and finally ssh, and I got into my server.  Moved a file over, opened it.  Wow.  My linux machine still wasn't showing up in Finder>Network on my mac, but still....

Then conky turned off and I lost openbox.  Arrrggghhhh.

So, after rebooting I'm back at square one.  But I did connect through ssh.  I think I've just got to bite the bullet and perfect my understanding of the terminal.

Oh well--thanks for the help.

#6 2008-12-06 01:31:47

omns
#! wanderer

The file is showing up on your desktop because nautilus has taken control of it. My apologies, I forgot that would happen. There are some fixes for this in this thread http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … r-openbox/

Try it again after you've stopped nautilus taking control of your desktop and then click on the network icon in Nautilus. I'd be interested to know if you see your macs. If you installed the nautilus shares plugin then sharing a folder across your network is just a matter of right clicking on the folder you want to share and then choosing 'Sharing Options' from the menu. The GUI that pops up is fairly easy to setup.

#7 2008-12-06 13:04:20

razienwolf
#! CrunchBanger

I dont have a Mac, but I guess it works the same way.

On my case, I install samba and fusesmb and grant my user mount of fuse system. Then I create a folder for the network to show up on thunar.

To share folders with thunar I use a little plugin called thunar-share-plugin  - http://code.google.com/p/thunar-shares/ -

You can read more about fusesmb here
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … ork-files/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? … xfce+samba

As a personal note, I prefer to create a hidden folder,  ~/.network, and put the folder on the left panel for easy access.

Your linux machine probably doesnt show up on the mac network because samba is not installed.

Last edited by razienwolf (2008-12-06 13:08:34)

#8 2008-12-06 19:10:39

harry_luffa

Omns and Razienwolf,

Thank you both for your help.

Omns, the fix corenominal posted worked, but the mac computers don't show up in "network."  I can connect using ssh via "connect to server" and move files.  So that's a huge step.

Razienwolf--I like the idea of accessing the network using a Thunar plugin--I'll give that a try and report back.

#9 2008-12-06 19:42:42

omns
#! wanderer

Good luck with the Thunar plugin I'll be interested in how it goes. Being based on the Nautilus plugin it basically does the same job but with a few less features.

Board footer