SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-03 10:33:41

yorick
#! Member

Am I really switching from Openbox to XFCE?

I boned my CrunchBang openbox yesterday after messing with another distro.  I decided to give the XFCE version a try on re-install.  I am more than amazed with how slick it is.  I would never have thought I would consider XFCE after #! turned me on to openbox.  I've used XFCE in the past - it was never like this.

My only suggestion, or qualm - I don't understand why Alt+F2 doesn't use gmrun as default, which seems to be better than X?run (whatever it is called).  I changed this on my computer and I'm good to go.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-04-03 10:49:41

Awebb
The Singularity

Re: Am I really switching from Openbox to XFCE?

yorick wrote:

I boned my CrunchBang openbox yesterday after messing with another distro.

You boned your openbox?

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#3 2011-04-03 11:00:44

yorick
#! Member

Awebb wrote:
yorick wrote:

I boned my CrunchBang openbox yesterday after messing with another distro.

You boned your openbox?

Well, it got boned as a result of my actions.

#4 2011-04-03 11:23:28

hasuin

I love Xfce and that's why I came to #! I have never used Openbox.

I think #! is the slickest of all Xfce Debian derivatives.  As omns said somewhere in the forums, it is probably so as you don't install the xfce4-goodies meta-package but just the goodies/plugins you need. And for sure as you don't install too many of the gnome libs and progs. For this reason I like #! Xfce better than Linux Mint Xfce which remains 'mainstream' oriented as Clem puts it.

I run #! 'pure testing' on one of my machines, I am impatient to see Xfce 4.8 come out in the testing repos tongue.

Linux Registered User # 479739 - #! CrunchBang Statler Xfce.
"Entre Machine - Et moi Machin - Il s'pass' des choses - Des machins" --Serge Gainsbourg.

#5 2011-04-05 02:04:45

DeepDayze
#! Member

hasuin wrote:

I love Xfce and that's why I came to #! I have never used Openbox.

I think #! is the slickest of all Xfce Debian derivatives.  As omns said somewhere in the forums, it is probably so as you don't install the xfce4-goodies meta-package but just the goodies/plugins you need. And for sure as you don't install too many of the gnome libs and progs. For this reason I like #! Xfce better than Linux Mint Xfce which remains 'mainstream' oriented as Clem puts it.

I run #! 'pure testing' on one of my machines, I am impatient to see Xfce 4.8 come out in the testing repos tongue.

If you are feeling adventurous, why not upgrade your #! box to Sid? I have and it's pretty good..no issues noted

#6 2011-04-05 02:05:45

DeepDayze
#! Member

Oops doublepost sad

Last edited by DeepDayze (2011-04-05 02:06:44)

#7 2011-04-05 02:19:00

pny

Ive just signed up here. how do i make a new post. can you say?#!Thanks

In the great ship of freedom and endowment.

#8 2011-04-05 02:20:54

pny

I have looked on buttons but nothing jumped out at me. perhaps its the time of day.

In the great ship of freedom and endowment.

#9 2011-04-05 02:22:11

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@pny - This post should explain it:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/109076/#p109076

#10 2011-04-05 03:06:40

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

yorick wrote:

Well, it got boned as a result of my actions.

Worst legal defense ever...
also, I was pleasantly surprised with the new xfce...fast, light and pretty.  I set it up for my mom, and she's really liking it so far. Still sticking with openbox myself...but I treat it like a lady.

Last edited by bobrossw (2011-04-05 03:08:45)

#11 2011-04-05 04:29:34

anonymous
The Mystery Member

bobrossw wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised with the new xfce

Do you mean v4.8? How did you like it?

#12 2011-04-05 04:53:40

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

^yup, put it on my mom's new netbook (with LMDE).  Looks great, just enough eye candy to make it pretty and elegant without being gaudy (like ubuntu's compiz/gnome setup tends to be).  Also the panel has an option to let you put in gnome applets, so I added the linux mint gnome menu, and it works great (aside from a bit longer initial load time).  Basically it feels like it's got all the ease of use and customizability of gnome, without much bloat.

#13 2011-04-05 05:03:21

hasuin

bobrossw wrote:

^yup, put it on my mom's new netbook (with LMDE).  Looks great, just enough eye candy to make it pretty and elegant without being gaudy (like ubuntu's compiz/gnome setup tends to be).  Also the panel has an option to let you put in gnome applets, so I added the linux mint gnome menu, and it works great (aside from a bit longer initial load time).  Basically it feels like it's got all the ease of use and customizability of gnome, without much bloat.

You could install gnome applets with xfce4-xfapplet-plugin before running 4.8.

The linux mint menu was adapted by clem for linux mint Xfce RC which is 4.6.

Linux Registered User # 479739 - #! CrunchBang Statler Xfce.
"Entre Machine - Et moi Machin - Il s'pass' des choses - Des machins" --Serge Gainsbourg.

#14 2011-04-11 18:07:53

jjriv
Website

I, too, installed the OpenBox version of #!. I'm really liking it, but i'd also like to check out XFCE. My question is, do I have to reinstall the #! XFCE version to get it, or is there a list of packages I can install to get XFCE? Something like 'apt-get install xfce' and 'apt-get remove openbox' ?

Anyone have some tips? Or just let me know if i'm crazy and should just reinstall with xfce. Thanks!

Last edited by jjriv (2011-04-11 18:08:03)

#15 2011-04-11 18:16:48

snowpine
#!-a-roo

jjriv wrote:

I, too, installed the OpenBox version of #!. I'm really liking it, but i'd also like to check out XFCE. My question is, do I have to reinstall the #! XFCE version to get it, or is there a list of packages I can install to get XFCE? Something like 'apt-get install xfce' and 'apt-get remove openbox' ?

Anyone have some tips? Or just let me know if i'm crazy and should just reinstall with xfce. Thanks!

Open a terminal (super+t) and type "cb-welcome". It will give you several fun options, including the xfce session.

/hugged

#16 2011-04-11 18:16:56

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Errr those commands work just fine. You just forgot the sudo. Also theres a package you can install to get the settings too, search in Synaptic for crunchbang or configs and you'll find it.

#17 2011-04-11 18:24:22

corenominal
WRONG
Website

yorick wrote:

I boned my CrunchBang openbox yesterday after messing with another distro.  I decided to give the XFCE version a try on re-install.  I am more than amazed with how slick it is.  I would never have thought I would consider XFCE after #! turned me on to openbox.  I've used XFCE in the past - it was never like this.

My only suggestion, or qualm - I don't understand why Alt+F2 doesn't use gmrun as default, which seems to be better than X?run (whatever it is called).  I changed this on my computer and I'm good to go.

I am currently using the Xfce version and I have to admit that I replace xfrun4 with gmrun myself. Should this be applied to the next release?

#18 2011-04-11 18:34:18

crunchy
#! Junkie

right now I'm using xfce and it's great. runs just as great as openbox but a little bit more gnome/kde-ish (not SUCH a bad thing)

how do you change it from sfrun4 to gmrun in xfce? I have tried and have NO clue how.

EDIT: nevermind figured it out.

Last edited by crunchy (2011-04-11 18:37:29)

registered Linux user: #533379
registered #! user: #6769
Whenever someone calls me a computer 'nerd' or a 'Unix-based-system'
all I can think is: You just wait. In a couple of years. I'll be your IT. Then where will you be!

#19 2011-04-11 18:54:21

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

I think the last time I used xfce was sometime around 3...I was trying to run it on xubuntu on an old macbook ppc with about 4 mb ram...so lxde was much better at the time, though both crawled.  that comp had another icky habit of always smelling like BO.  I eventually just turned it into a debian music/file server.  So yeah, seeing xfce on a modern system, and seeing how well it outperformed gnome was really great for me.  I probably didn't give it a fair shake the first time.

#20 2011-04-11 18:59:55

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

corenominal wrote:

I am currently using the Xfce version and I have to admit that I replace xfrun4 with gmrun myself. Should this be applied to the next release?

I confess that I mostly just use the run dialog to open Thunar with root privelages, so I have never found xfrun4 lacking (autoclomplete is really all I need). Why gmrun, what makes it better for you?

BTW and OT, will the Iceweasel repo get an update soon?

#21 2011-04-11 19:04:41

corenominal
WRONG
Website

hhh wrote:
corenominal wrote:

I confess that I mostly just use the run dialog to open Thunar with root privelages, so I have never found xfrun4 lacking (autoclomplete is really all I need). Why gmrun, what makes it better for you?

To be honest, there is not much in it, it is just a personal preference.

BTW and OT, will the Iceweasel repo get an update soon?

Probably not. I am looking into providing Firefox 4 as a package in the Statler repo.

#22 2011-04-11 19:13:32

jjriv
Website

snowpine wrote:
jjriv wrote:

Open a terminal (super+t) and type "cb-welcome". It will give you several fun options, including the xfce session.

That did it! Thanks for the quick reply. I now have XFCE as my default session.

#23 2011-04-11 19:33:35

yorick
#! Member

corenominal wrote:

I would love to see gmrun be the default.  It just works better due to the tab completion. 

I think I'm spoiled with tab completion.  I catch myself trying to tab complete in google search fields and my browser address bar.  smile

Thanks for all of the work you put into #!.

#24 2011-04-12 16:33:13

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

yorick wrote:

I would love to see gmrun be the default.  It just works better due to the tab completion.

For the record, xfrun4 has tab completion (what I called, and misspelled, autocomplete).

Last edited by hhh (2011-04-12 16:33:28)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2011-04-12 16:47:00

yorick
#! Member

hhh wrote:

For the record, xfrun4 has tab completion (what I called, and misspelled, autocomplete).

Is there anything I have to configure to make it work?  For some reason, I tried it numerous times and it never tab completed for me.  Hmmmm...

Board footer