SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-26 19:11:52

pvsage
Internal Affairs

finally tackling Sid Broadcom quagmire - giggidy!

Here's what dpkg has been telling me the last few times I've tried "updating" to Sid:

Setting up firmware-b43-installer (4.150.10.5-5) ...
Not supported low-power chip with PCI id 14e4:4315!
Aborting.
dpkg: error processing firmware-b43-installer (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Setting up firmware-b43legacy-installer (4.178.10.4-5) ...
Not supported card here (PCI id 14e4:4315)!
Use b43 firmware. This is just for the b43legacy driver.
Aborting.
dpkg: error processing firmware-b43legacy-installer (--configure):
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 firmware-b43-installer
 firmware-b43legacy-installer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I know from past experience that once I reboot, I'll lose my wifi connection under these conditions.  So...any suggestions to fix this?  Is there some new trick that gets the "latest & greatest" roll kernel working with Broadcom?

Has this already been solved in one of those "upgraded to Wheezy and..." threads that I've been ignoring?

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-02-26 20:15:21

omns
#! wanderer

Re: finally tackling Sid Broadcom quagmire - giggidy!

pvsage wrote:

So...any suggestions to fix this?

Enjoy Statler tongue  (sorry couldn't resist)

Back on topic, you could try holding the Squeeze driver.

#3 2011-02-27 01:20:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

omns wrote:

Enjoy Statler tongue  (sorry couldn't resist)

Yes, this is the same thought I have when I read "I just switched CrunchBang to Wheezy, now my toaster caught on fire."

I still have much to learn about apt-pinning...a lot easier to "lock version" in Synaptic, but prefer to use apt-get if possible...

#4 2011-03-01 23:14:56

nathwill
#! CrunchBanger
Website

hey pvsage, fwiw, i'm getting the same error and i'm still on squeeze repos. i'm so [expletive omitted] tired of the headaches this wlan card gives me i'm going to order a replacement right now.

NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

#5 2011-03-02 06:33:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

There have been so many times I've come close to replacing my own Broadcom card.  I suppose Philip's insistence on making sure CrunchBang always ships with as much firmware compatibility as possible has helped forestall this decision.

I guess right now I'll stick with Statler Squeeze..."resistance is futile (if < 1 ohm)" cool

#6 2011-03-02 10:21:38

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

I don't know why, but I seem to have better luck with Broadcom wireless and Debian compared to most folk. I've never had problems with it not working upon kernel upgrades or Liquorix/SLH/recompiled kernels, either..... weird.

I did encounter a similar message form apt (actually, I think it was exactly the same, in fact) recently, around the time the Testing/Unstable repos got thawed after the Squeeze official release.

In the end, I found that removing both the firmware-b43-installer and firmware-b43legacy-installer and installing the firmware-b43-lpphy-installer solved my problem.

For what it's worth, I rebooted after removing the 2, then installed the lpphy-installer, and then rebooted again, dunno if this is significant or not, but felt safer. Can't remember if I had to modprobe or blacklist anything, but I don't think so... it just worked. Only negative side-effect I've noticed is my wireless maxing out at 70% in Conky, even when I'm 3 feet away from my router (though wicd-curses still shows the correct strength).

My netbook's not with me at the moment, but if memory serves me right, my Broadcrap model is something-something 4312.

As usual, YMMV.

Point & Squirt

#7 2011-03-06 02:23:44

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@slob-kun:  I'm downloading the lpphy module in Squeeze right now; my theory is if this package is installed before I switch to Sid, it will be there (and updated if necessary) when I switch.  (Wanted to wait for the weekend so I'd have time to go back to Squeeze if it didn't work.)  I'm not sure I like the fact that it's downloading 5.7MB from a third-party website...

#8 2011-03-06 02:38:06

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@Willis-shi(pvsage)

For broadcom stuff in Debian I always used the b43-fwcutter for what it's worth.  BTW, you could try NetBSD on your toaster.  I hear it flies. lol

That hawk just kept flying! -Ben Lilly

#9 2011-03-06 03:03:41

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Aside from some Puplets and dyne:bolic, I've never strayed too far from Debian.  I guess "I've grown fond of my cage."

The b43-fwcutter package is a part of the default Statler install, and is one of the packages updated in the switch to Sid.  Rebooting with the new Broadcom firmware package went off without a hitch...I'm dist-upgrading into Sid as I type this, watching carefully for error messages...

UPDATE:  So far, so good!  update-initramfs threw a couple warnings about "Possible missing firmware", but I've seen these in kernel updates before and have learned to ignore them.  If I don't update this post within the next few minutes, that means I'm reinstalling Statler/Squeeze due to wifi failure...

NOTE:  Maybe I should change /etc/apt/preferences and replace Squeeze with Sid?

UPDATE2:  Looks like wifi works! cool

Last edited by pvsage (2011-03-06 03:47:59)

#10 2011-03-06 20:06:38

vicshrike
#! by Default

Since there are a rather big interest for Sid/Wheezy, I think it is time to start a sticky/thread for everything Sid/Wheezy/#! iefied. As it is now there are several different threads with this particular twist. Just think it could be practical to have this stuff collected in one place. Personally I`ve decided to stay with stable on my #! installs, but I have upgraded one my Squeeze/gnome installs to Sid/Wheezy, and it would be nice to hear what others think about it.

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#11 2011-03-06 21:20:24

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

vicshrike wrote:

Since there are a rather big interest for Sid/Wheezy, I think it is time to start a sticky/thread for everything Sid/Wheezy/#! iefied. As it is now there are several different threads with this particular twist. Just think it could be practical to have this stuff collected in one place. Personally I`ve decided to stay with stable on my #! installs, but I have upgraded one my Squeeze/gnome installs to Sid/Wheezy, and it would be nice to hear what others think about it.

I think one thread for all questions/problems regarding that, is a little not practical. If we decide to go that way, maybe a whole new forum category including how-to's etcetera would be better.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#12 2011-03-06 21:30:30

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I was actually just thinking that a thread similar to the "known issues with fixes" thread from the Statler development phase might be a great idea, and was just about to create it.  I've already run into a couple issues for which I found solutions, plus a couple that are biting my @$$ right now.

Last edited by pvsage (2011-03-06 21:31:31)

#13 2011-05-15 18:40:50

achristoffersen
#! Junkie

funny. I get this:

Setting up firmware-b43legacy-installer (1:014-2) ...
No supported card found.
Use b43 firmware. This is just for the b43legacy driver.
Aborting.
dpkg: error processing firmware-b43legacy-installer (--configure):
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 firmware-b43legacy-installer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

But I don't even think i have a broadcom card:

lspci | grep [Nn]et
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

And I always have working wifi? -WTF?

#14 2011-05-15 21:42:18

mynis01
#! Die Hard

@achristoffersen: If you have an Intel wireless card (which it appears you do) then you can just uninstall all of the b43 packages that are giving you errors.

What I don't like about using the lpphy driver is that if I have my wireless switched off when I power up the computer then I have to restart my laptop to get my wifi working again. It's not too big of a deal I suppose, It's better than using the stable kernel or the liquorix one in the #! repos. Perhaps there is a kernel module I can manually load?

#15 2011-05-16 02:04:24

bigbenaugust
#! Junkie

I have a lappy with a b43legacy card in it and I get the same errors when installing the b43legacy firmware in Squeeze. I am going to throw an old Orinoco card in it and forget about it... blasted broadcom.

--Ben
Debian: II   Arch: II   openSUSE: I

#16 2011-05-16 14:57:27

achristoffersen
#! Junkie

mynis01 wrote:

@achristoffersen:...

Thanks !

#17 2011-05-18 05:58:18

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I figured out a workaround to my problem in case anyone else has it btw. You just have to install rfkill, and then if you turn on your wifi adapter and try and bring it up and get

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132

just issue

rfkill unblock all

then

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

I'm contemplating ways to make this happen automatically but so far just doing it manually seems like the best solution for my personal situation.

Board footer