SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-17 20:06:18

omns
#! wanderer

Image Hosting recommendations

As you know it is preferred that in the monthly screenshot thread that you use thumbnails when uploading your images. This is better for members with slow internet connections (like me) and overall just keeps the thread more minimal, visually appealing and faster loading.

For a while it has been recommended to use omploader as an alternative but as omploader is now in read-only mode we need an alternative to recommend to members. So what are you using at the moment?

tinypic.com has been mentioned but it doesn't automatically generate code for a thumbnail image that links to the full sized image. With tinypic you have to upload the image twice. Once for the image and once for the thumbnail using their resizing options. You'd then create the code by hand which is tedious.

I look forward to your thoughts so that I can change the starter post in next month's screenshot thread.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-08-17 20:09:54

mrpeachy
20% cooler

Re: Image Hosting recommendations

omns wrote:

As you know it is preferred that in the monthly screenshot thread that you use thumbnails when uploading your images. This is better for members with slow internet connections (like me) and overall just keeps the thread more minimal, visually appealing and faster loading.

For a while it has been recommended to use omploader as an alternative but as omploader is now in read-only mode we need an alternative to recommend to members. So what are you using at the moment?

tinypic.com has been mentioned but it doesn't automatically generate code for a thumbnail image that links to the full sized image. With tinypic you have to upload the image twice. Once for the image and once for the thumbnail using their resizing options. You'd then create the code by hand which is tedious.
I look forward to your thoughts so that I can change the starter post in next month's screenshot thread.

with tinypic you just have to right click on the image, then "view image" to see the full picture

... not as easy as clicking once and getting to a large image, but places like imageshack, you click once and it takes you to the imageshack site, tries to show you a lot of junk, then you have to click again to see the fullsize image anyway

edit
@ omns, do you think that the default image from tinypic is too big then?

Last edited by mrpeachy (2010-08-17 20:12:16)

#3 2010-08-17 20:14:54

omns
#! wanderer

mrpeachy wrote:

with tinypic you just have to right click on the image, then "view image" to see the full picture

... not as easy as clicking once and getting to a large image, but places like imageshack, you click once and it takes you to the imageshack site, tries to show you a lot of junk, then you have to click again to see the fullsize image anyway

Yes, that is true and I'm aware of the the junk that imageshack shows you for thumbnails. The purpose of this thread is to recommend hosting that handles thumbnails like omploader did (without junk) smile

mrpeachy wrote:

@ omns, do you think that the default image from tinypic is too big then?

Yes, because it's not a generated thumbnail, just a resize generated by the punBB software. The download size (full size) is the same because it is coming from the original image.

#4 2010-08-17 20:16:10

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Note: ** Please read before posting **

BTW if you wish to contact me, send me an e-mail instead of a PM.

#5 2010-08-17 20:22:18

mrpeachy
20% cooler

omns wrote:

Yes, because it's not a generated thumbnail, just a resize generated by the punBB software. The download size (full size) is the same because it is coming from the original image.

ah... understood!

Last edited by mrpeachy (2010-08-17 20:40:10)

#6 2010-08-17 20:40:18

mrpeachy
20% cooler

pQtX2s.jpg

This is a thumbnail link generated quite easily through imgur.com , just upload then click on the "more sizes" tab to get the small image, also a larger thumbnail is available.  Copy the "linked image for message boards"

#7 2010-08-17 20:45:45

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

For most of this year, I have been using ImageBam.com for all my image hosting.

The have been around for a long time and are dependable, easy to use ... the ImageBam site will generate the thumbnail code/link for you.

I've not had 'any' problems with them.

Registered Linux User: #497030
DeviantART pageAsk.Debian
#!Crunchbang 'Waldorf' (Openbox) -- Mint-Debian Fluxbox Edition

#8 2010-08-17 21:00:33

SuNjACk
#! Die Hard

I always use this

http://upload.centerzone.it/

"I'd rather run Linux on a 6.5KHz machine through an ARM emulator than run Vista"

#9 2010-08-17 21:42:05

omns
#! wanderer

vrkalak wrote:

For most of this year, I have been using ImageBam.com for all my image hosting.

The have been around for a long time and are dependable, easy to use ... the ImageBam site will generate the thumbnail code/link for you.

I've not had 'any' problems with them.

I like the look of imagebam. It has nice options for uploading and generating thumbnails etc. Multiple uploads is also a winner smile

#10 2010-08-17 23:10:11

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

I use ImageShack but then do some manual editing to remove the junk. It only takes a minute but might be a PITA to some.

#11 2010-08-18 05:54:00

Zen:Core
#! CrunchBanger

+1 on imageshack

It may take a bit to remove the "junk", but at least we know it'll be here next Tuesday. wink

|My Band: 12 Honest Men|

#12 2010-08-18 09:35:57

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

imgur was my main alternative to omploader

i cant sand image shack, so much so i dont even bother looking at images hosted on it.   so many trackers n cookies... it's so slow n clumsy n ugly.

Last edited by Digit (2010-08-18 09:37:43)

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#13 2010-08-18 10:51:05

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Digit wrote:

imgur was my main alternative to omploader

i cant sand image shack, so much so i dont even bother looking at images hosted on it.   so many trackers n cookies... it's so slow n clumsy n ugly.

I can't speak for everyone, but on the few occasions I've used Imgur it applied some form of image compression to my uploaded scrots (even .png).
Results in terrible dithering if you've got strong gradients in your wallpaper.

I don't mind imageshack. I usually modify the bbc code so that clicking the thumbnail automatically takes you to the actual image, bypassing that page with all the ads and ratings and sh*t.

Nothing beats omploader, though.
Noticed it's back up again ... good to know my donation wasn't a total waste (at least for another week or so)

How can you not love a site that greets you with this?
201008181851381600x900s.png

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-08-18 13:30:27)

Point & Squirt

#14 2010-09-29 06:31:15

tartan
#! Junkie

Consider trying itmages.ru which is established by one of Russian Ubuntu community members.

The hosting automatically generates thumbnails and provides some cli tools for images uploading. I use it for like a year and did not experience any problems with it yet.

#15 2010-10-14 00:30:28

anonymous
The Mystery Member

I recently found http://www.bild.me/. It seems fast and has no ads (or I already blocked them tongue).

Note: ** Please read before posting **

BTW if you wish to contact me, send me an e-mail instead of a PM.

#16 2010-10-14 20:24:26

Andreas
#! Junkie

at the moment I'm making a dropbox-like client in python, completely configurable, and if I have a server I can set it up with apache etc to copy everything to /var/www/user/ and there you have it: drop a picture in your local folder, it gets automatically uploaded to the server, and it's there for you.

if anyone is interested in some explanation how to get it work, message me smile (code is here for the adventurous ) ( I'll need test participants anyway )

Meh. Interested for a Dropbox alternative? Go to https://launchpad.net/tart

#17 2010-11-02 09:01:19

ZeoLeo

I use http://www.upl.co myself for quick uploading. they dont have all of the features of imageshack, but its a lot more pleasant to use, zero ads, no changes to uploaded files, has nice gallery and bulk features, and can deal with mp3s and avi as well (displays players and stuff right away)

#18 2010-11-03 08:55:25

briantm
#! CrunchBanger

I use http://www.imagehost.org/

It's quick, generates thumbs and does not require a login

#19 2010-12-04 16:40:47

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

I just found http://www.limepic.com/
It also has the possibility to resize pictures.
And there is a plugin for firefox...
Tuna

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#20 2010-12-04 16:43:56

friTTe
#! CrunchBanger
Website

im using googles all services (almost anyway) and stuff i wanna share usually end up @ picasa folder.
You get embedd link or just plain image link.

Before that i usually uploaded them to imageshack

#21 2011-01-07 08:15:34

Jadrian

imgur.com is a nice website I find, no bandwidth cap or timeout on what you upload. Nice minimal website too.

Last edited by Jadrian (2011-01-07 08:16:08)

#22 2012-04-14 20:29:22

pbfu

http://postimage.org/ looks simple for me and its quicky ad free
heres a sample

http://postimage.org/image/jfblkw4vn/

#23 2012-04-16 15:13:05

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

When Imageshack started doing strange things, I went looking and found, among others, my favourite image hosting site:
ImageBam
aaqDwEBY.jpg

That changed recently with a new site. Faster and easier to use site, created by the same crew.  ImgBox (see the yellow line in the image above)
aaronWy3.jpg

No advertising, no big X in the corner. And you can change the thumbnail size "per image"
aabMAq1e.jpg

We all have our preferred sites, but if you are still looking, or thinking of a change, check this site out.  You won't be disappointed.

#24 2012-04-16 16:47:22

Falkkon

Sector11 wrote:

When Imageshack started doing strange things, I went looking and found, among others, my favourite image hosting site:
ImageBam
aaqDwEBY.jpg

That changed recently with a new site. Faster and easier to use site, created by the same crew.  ImgBox (see the yellow line in the image above)
aaronWy3.jpg

No advertising, no big X in the corner. And you can change the thumbnail size "per image"
aabMAq1e.jpg

We all have our preferred sites, but if you are still looking, or thinking of a change, check this site out.  You won't be disappointed.

Wow, very nice, I've always used imgur, I absolutely hate imageshack. But I disliked the 2.5 mb limit on imgur, and I couldn't find a suitable replacement for imgur, with free sign-up, galleries etc. until now. Thanks for pointing imgbox out smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-04-16 18:40:01

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

Falkkon wrote:

Wow, very nice, I've always used imgur, I absolutely hate imageshack. But I disliked the 2.5 mb limit on imgur, and I couldn't find a suitable replacement for imgur, with free sign-up, galleries etc. until now. Thanks for pointing imgbox out smile

OH YEA!!!!!!!!!   I forgot to mention: 10MB image limit.  That's BIG!   roll

Last edited by Sector11 (2012-04-16 18:41:02)

Board footer