I have a Asus K52jr laptop, and there are some problems with it, out of the box anyways. Same goes with the A52 series, and others in the K52 family.
I found this AWESOME thread, so far all of the fixes have worked for me, and have really improved my quality of life.
A snip of the problems (with what has solutions marked):
LIST OF PROBLEMS:
1) SOUND: speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in. (SOLVED)
2) SOUND: hdmi sound out not working. (SOLVED)
3) SUSPEND: suspend to ram freezes my laptop. (SOLVED)
4) WEBCAM: image upside down. (SOLVED)
5) Wireless LED: the led doesn't turn off when I press Fn+F2, but wireless is disabled. (SOLVED)
6) Available RESOLUTIONS: I get the maximum resolution for my screen, 1366x768, but I am missing other resolutions available in Windows. (IMPROVED)
7) TOUCHPAD: not detected as a touchpad, detected as "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse". Touchpad tab missing in System>Preferences>Mouse and syndaemon is not working. The key to disable touchpad Fn+F9 is not working. (SOLVED)
Palm proof technology not working.
8 ) Calculator button (Fn + KP_Enter) not working. (SOLVED)
9) External microphone not working.
...This just made my day
just call me...